DIRT: online ViP722 manual is farkled

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
If you go here you will see the manual. Scroll thru the pages. Page 10 is followed by page 71. Other pages are also jumbled. It's been this way for years.

Any chance Dish might fix this?

If you follow the link I provided, and find page 21 (WAY out of sequence) you will see the back side of the receiver. It has the one OTA connection built in. So it's a plain ViP722.

Do you have a better link to an uncorrupted ViP722 manual?

I missed that link. Got the new & improved manual. Perhaps the link I have is old and should no longer be in use? Orphaned?

We'd like to keep everything available if possible (the link I gave is one that was made just for dishsupport, and should have the latest manuals/user guides). We did get the bad user guide escalated, so it will be fixed eventually. From what I was told though, it may be a while.

Thanks all the same. In any event, I now have a manual with all the pages, and in the correct order.

We'd like to keep everything available if possible (the link I gave is one that was made just for dishsupport, and should have the latest manuals/user guides). We did get the bad user guide escalated, so it will be fixed eventually. From what I was told though, it may be a while.
you can say "long while" again.. :) reported the 722k several months back? Also explained how it happened.. with whomever being the brilliant person at the keyboard that day submitting the documents by "chapter name" and not re-sorting them before the mind meld. :)

you can say "long while" again.. :) reported the 722k several months back? Also explained how it happened.. with whomever being the brilliant person at the keyboard that day submitting the documents by "chapter name" and not re-sorting them before the mind meld. :)
Huh?

My mind melded a long time ago...............:eek:;):)

Ed

With the manual .... what had been done, was to take several files in a directory, and merge them together. Originally each chapter was separated. I suspect they used any of a number of automated tools to combine the separate chapter files into one bigger file.

The tool would take a directory listing, with names like "chapter 1" and "chapter 2" as we would ... naturally 2 after 1 ... but once the tool was given files for chapters 1 through 12, it started showing a well known dos type file sort ... similar to the Dewey Decimal System .. Number <dot> Number

In this case, it does a column sort
chapter 1
chapter 11
chapter 12
chapter 2​
All four have "chapter" a "space" and then 1 1 1 2. The first pass of sorting moved the names to that order. it then compared the next character ... the last "1" in chapter 11 and the "2" in chapter 12 ...

so it saw them like
chapter 1.
chapter 1.1
chapter 1.2
chapter 2.​
and not as whole numbers.

The "easy" way around this would be to know how many chapters you have .. and name them 01, 02, 03 etc.. or if you had up to 999 ... 001, 002, 003 ... that way the sort doesn't have to think about it.

Its also like the trick for keeping items by date .. say folders with pictures in them on your drive ... rather than name them for Month, Day, Year .... you name them for Year, Month, Day.

The logic there ... the year is the most significant "bit" ... there is only one 2011 ... only one 2010 ... but there are 12 months and 28 to 31 days... given dates like Jan 1 2010, Feb 1 2010, Jan 2 2011 ...you'd get an order like this:
1-1-2010
1-2-2011
2-1-2010​
but using year first, then month, day ... you'd get this
2010-1-1
2010-2-1
2011-1-1
which would again break if you didn't use 01 ~ 09, as soon as you'd reach 10, it would still sort those wrong. So the final way it should be (with leading 0's)
2010-01-01
2010-02-01
2011-01-01

Last edited:

Would bigger be better?

622 Playback Pauses for 5-10 Seconds When Timer Starts

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)