DirecTV Releases R16 DVR Receiver for Distribution

Status
Please reply by conversation.
More R15 Problems!

All I can say is that you have been a lot luckier than I have been with my R15's! I just spent one hour and 20 minutes on the phone with DirecTV customer service trying to fix my the latest R15 problem. The problems are now worse than when I first made the call. I've have a service call set up for Monday morning. Meanwhile, I've got no locals, which means no Fox, which could mean no Super Bowl tomorrow night. Guess that I could climb the tower and hook the OTA antenna back up! B-(

If they replace the R15 Monday, which I assume that they'll do, it'll be the fourth or fifth R15 that they've replaced in about a year. I sure wish that they'd get this technology right.

I've not had too much of a problem with any of the R15's missing recordings. It happened a few times but not so much. My problems have all involved playback of things that supposedly recorded--either the DVR froze up, the playback ended long before the end of the show, or, in the case of the latest R15, playback just crashed everything and required a reset.

I have the R15 as the R16 isn't/wasn't available to me at the time of install. I see no major upgrades though. USB that is still inactive (by default, still searching that one) no ethernet. I still have SD TV's though my DELL 15" wide screen supports DVI input. SD boxes are way to high and service is to high now. Anyway. Why not just do a FW upgrade for the current model vs. re-inventing the wheel so to speak.

All I can say is that you have been a lot luckier than I have been with my R15's! I just spent one hour and 20 minutes on the phone with DirecTV customer service trying to fix my the latest R15 problem. The problems are now worse than when I first made the call. I've have a service call set up for Monday morning. Meanwhile, I've got no locals, which means no Fox, which could mean no Super Bowl tomorrow night. Guess that I could climb the tower and hook the OTA antenna back up! B-(

If they replace the R15 Monday, which I assume that they'll do, it'll be the fourth or fifth R15 that they've replaced in about a year. I sure wish that they'd get this technology right.

I've not had too much of a problem with any of the R15's missing recordings. It happened a few times but not so much. My problems have all involved playback of things that supposedly recorded--either the DVR froze up, the playback ended long before the end of the show, or, in the case of the latest R15, playback just crashed everything and required a reset.

Your problems need for you to Reformat your R15.To Reformat:Go Menu/Settings/Setup/System Info/Reset/Reset Everything/When you see the First Blue Screen Press the Record Button and Left Arrow on the R15 for
20 seconds/After you Release the Buttons the Record Button Light will come On to show the R15 is Reformatting then go out.Then you will need to Setup your R15.;)
Realize when you do a Reformat you will lose all Recordings/Parental Settings/Favorites List.
You also need to make sure your R15 is plugged into a Surge Suppressor and nothing is stacked on top of the R15.The R15 needs good ventilation.To check to see if your R15 has Reformatted correctly a Reformat will make your latest software number,your original software number.;)
Also remember to turn off the R15 when your not watching TV,as that is when the R15 does it's housekeeping.

I have had the same R15-500 now for over 1 year,but after every software upgrade I have Reformatted my R15.;)
Hope this helps.Good Luck!:):welcome

Today DirecTV released their long-awaited R-16 SD-DVR receiver to the distribution channel. These will be installed in customers homes begining any day now.

The R16 is very similiar in operation and design to the R15 with the following differences:

* Black instead of Silver
* SWM Compatabile (Single-Wire operation using new SWM multiswitch)
* NO Ethernet port - meaning it is NOT expected to receive OnDemand

The SWM compatibility is the big-deal with this receiver. The last hangup in DirecTV using SWM multiswitches in mainstream was support for an SD-DVR.

Now DirecTV has SWM compatible hardware thorughout their product line:
* D12 - basic SD receiver
* R16 - SD-DVR
* H20 & H21 - HD receiver
* HR20 & HR21 - HD-DVR

Prior to SWM all DVRs required two wires run to each receiver - which can be problematic in pre-wired homes. The SWM reduces install costs (except the SWM itself) and makes upgrading easier.

r16.jpg

r16back.jpg

Pictures posted with permission, courtesy DBStalk.com

A group of test users on another site have had the R16 for a few months and have reported VERY reliable operation.
They have also posted pictures of the inside of the unit with there full report. To see their report: CLICK HERE

If this unit is NOT Mpeg4, why bother, seems that would be a good enough reason TO make a new rec.
Is this true, it has NO mpeg4 in it ?

Jimbo

I can't understand why Directv or Dish just doesn't issue their HD DVR to everyone who wants a DVR. Get rid of SD DVR's. After all, my shoddy cable company (Charter) issues their MOXI HD DVR's or the Motorola HD DVR's standard to all customers who request DVR service. Those who don't have or want HD, won't get the HD channels. Simple. If they want them, they pay for them. That way all features are available to everyone. I don't understand why D* has to charge an HD access fee if they don't want the HD channels but do want DoD. Considering most of the DoD is in SD, this only seems to make sense. But maybe it's just me.:rolleyes:

According to their Investor Relations meeting on Feb 28th, they plan on phasing out all SD equipment this year, and transitioning to one "Whole Home HD DVR" by 2009/2010.

Check out this link for the Investor Relations PDF file, and then go to page 40.

The DIRECTV Group, Inc. - Investor Relations

The part that I'm wondering about, if I may temporarily hijack this thread, is this. If they are going to only HD set top boxes, what are they going to do for the customers that only have a coax connection on their SD TV and don't have AV inputs (since their current HD receivers don't have a coax output).

The part that I'm wondering about, if I may temporarily hijack this thread, is this. If they are going to only HD set top boxes, what are they going to do for the customers that only have a coax connection on their SD TV and don't have AV inputs (since their current HD receivers don't have a coax output).

For those who still have only the basic dinosaur video connections, I have to believe that they really don't care about PQ. My parents (who fit into this group) do not understand the need of a DVR. To them, a VCR works just fine.

According to their Investor Relations meeting on Feb 28th, they plan on phasing out all SD equipment this year, and transitioning to one "Whole Home HD DVR" by 2009/2010.

Check out this link for the Investor Relations PDF file, and then go to page 40.

The DIRECTV Group, Inc. - Investor Relations

The Whole Home set up your mentioning is probably the same one (maybe updated) that was mentioned several years ago at the CES show, then that was the last we heard of it.

I would imagine if this unit is going to do the whole house thing that it would have a coax out for the purpose of being able to work with the old TV's still out there.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Any way to get cheaper deal?

H20 and Changing Channels

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)