DIRECTV: Fix Your HD DVR!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
If you own the machine I do not see how they have a right to download their crap programs onto it without your approval, or monitor what you are watching.

If you own the machine I do not see how they have a right to download their crap programs onto it without your approval, or monitor what you are watching.

You use to be able to turn the monitoring feature off thru the web site.
You know they keep stats on this stuff because they have a "Whats Hot " channel, showing what people are watching, also, probably has something to do with the Neilson ratings as well.

Jimbo

I don't know why, vurb... why don"t you ask TiVo?

Oh, aren't you talking about TiVo? I thought you were, seeing as they "push" you those Showcases and take annonymous viewing statistics from you every night as they do their "housekeeping". How else can they report the "most TiVo'd moments" and get advertisers to pay for pushing commercials to your DVR.

If you complain about D* doing it, and are silent over TiVo doing the same thing, don't wonder why people think of you as a hypocrite and a serial D* basher.

I don't know why, vurb... why don"t you ask TiVo?

Oh, aren't you talking about TiVo? I thought you were, seeing as they "push" you those Showcases and take annonymous viewing statistics from you every night as they do their "housekeeping". How else can they report the "most TiVo'd moments" and get advertisers to pay for pushing commercials to your DVR.

If you complain about D* doing it, and are silent over TiVo doing the same thing, don't wonder why people think of you as a hypocrite and a serial D* basher.
You can block it on the Hr10-250 Tivo, nothing gets downloaded that I do not want. There are also no statistics uploaded without a phone line. My unit is hacked and hasnt seen a phone line in over a year. The discussion was about the HR20-700 which is not a Tivo.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
You can block it on the Hr10-250 Tivo, nothing gets downloaded that I do not want. There are also no statistics uploaded without a phone line. My unit is hacked and hasnt seen a phone line in over a year. The discussion was about the HR20-700 which is not a Tivo.:rolleyes:

Sooooo, who's gotten programming they did not schedule ? Who's had programming dumped onto their disk which they did not request?

I've yet to see anybody actually discover any bonus programming on their HR20. But then again, vurb, you don't have an HR20, do you? So where's your basis of information?

Even *if* D* was pushing programming onto a reserved portion of my disk, what exactly obligates anyone to watch it?

Who really gives a rat's ass, as long as the disk has sufficient space for a reasonable amount of scheduled HD content?

Why not quit the drama-queen complaints?

Sooooo, who's gotten programming they did not schedule ? Who's had programming dumped onto their disk which they did not request?

I've yet to see anybody actually discover any bonus programming on their HR20. But then again, vurb, you don't have an HR20, do you? So where's your basis of information?

Even *if* D* was pushing programming onto a reserved portion of my disk, what exactly obligates anyone to watch it?

Who really gives a rat's ass, as long as the disk has sufficient space for a reasonable amount of scheduled HD content?

Why not quit the drama-queen complaints?
There is no drama here. D* themselves has announced what portions of the Hard drive would be used for. Perhaps Newshank could stop his juvenile attacks. I myself would like to know, as I asked before, is there any way to skip commercials with the HR20-700? If so how? Any method other than fast forward? And you are correct I do not have an HR20 and there is no way I will before I know all of the minuses.

I myself would like to know, as I asked before, is there any way to skip commercials with the HR20-700? If so how? Any method other than fast forward?

Vurbano,
Basically the answer to your question is yes , sorta.
If you press the FF button, it advances :30, I've watched the meter so yes,it's 30 sec..
You can do like I do and if you know there are usually 3 minutes worth of commercials, hit the button 6 times and it will forward to the 3 minute mark, it takes about 10 sec to advance 3 minutes.

You can also use the reverse button the same way.

jimbo

Vurbano,
Basically the answer to your question is yes , sorta.
If you press the FF button, it advances :30, I've watched the meter so yes,it's 30 sec..
You can do like I do and if you know there are usually 3 minutes worth of commercials, hit the button 6 times and it will forward to the 3 minute mark, it takes about 10 sec to advance 3 minutes.

You can also use the reverse button the same way.

jimbo

Not quite, Jimbo. FF just runs quickly, multiple presses increases the rate (2x, 4x, etc). The Chapter-Fwd (>>|) advances in 30 sec increments.

Vurb, every time you post about D* it's over-reaction and drama. D* is not just pushing random content onto anybody's drive. At this time all I know about is that ST subscribers can have weekly NFL summaries pushed onto their drives. And again, there is nothing to force anyone to watch that programming.

At this point I've approached full on my HR20, all HD content. The user-accessible space is approximately 28 hrs; that's 25 1-hr program episodes, plus my son's recording of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.

Guys, please knock off the fighting!!

We can all have a civil discussion without fighting.

Not quite, Jimbo. FF just runs quickly, multiple presses increases the rate (2x, 4x, etc). The Chapter-Fwd (>>|) advances in 30 sec increments.

Can you expand on this info ?
How do you do the chapter fwd thing ? Maybe I 've been missing it, but I was happy with the FF rate increase .

Thanks,
Jimbo

Can you expand on this info ?
How do you do the chapter fwd thing ? Maybe I 've been missing it, but I was happy with the FF rate increase .

Thanks,
Jimbo

On your D* remote, the Play button is black and centered, with DVD-like transport buttons arrayed around it like a clock-face. At 12 o'clock is the STOP button.

At 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock are your REW and FF buttons, respectively, shown by double-arrows left or right. These just speed the play or rewind speed. Successive presses change the speed by 1x/2x/3x/4x.

To the left of STOP is Chapter-; to the right of STOP is Chapter+. If you use the remote to control your DVD player, the Chapter+/Chapter- would jump to the next/prev scene. In DVR mode, those buttons advance/rewind in 30 sec increments.

On your D* remote, the Play button is black and centered, with DVD-like transport buttons arrayed around it like a clock-face. At 12 o'clock is the STOP button.

At 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock are your REW and FF buttons, respectively, shown by double-arrows left or right. These just speed the play or rewind speed. Successive presses change the speed by 1x/2x/3x/4x.

To the left of STOP is Chapter-; to the right of STOP is Chapter+. If you use the remote to control your DVD player, the Chapter+/Chapter- would jump to the next/prev scene. In DVR mode, those buttons advance/rewind in 30 sec increments.

Thanks John,
After looking at the remote again,
What you said IS what I have been doing, I inadvertantly said FF in the previous post, I meant to say the button above the FF button.
I did not know that was for Chapter advance, so I did learn something there.

Jimbo

Thanks John,
After looking at the remote again,
What you said IS what I have been doing, I inadvertantly said FF in the previous post, I meant to say the button above the FF button.
I did not know that was for Chapter advance, so I did learn something there.

Jimbo

I thought it was something like that... you described a 30 sec advance, you must have been pressing the right buttons but naming them wrong...

Given the lawsuits against ReplayTV years ago, we are unlikely to see any real attempts at commercial-advance or commercial-filtering. The 30-sec jump is as good as it's going to get on any new devices.

now I can get some sleep... been working on setting-up a wireless bridge for the HR20 and my HD-DVD player. I messed stuff up earlier and it's taken a while to get back to where I was after dinner!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

NFL Post-season Schedule

Not All DIRECTV HD DVRs Need Repairs

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)