Direct TV Installation Rule

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tobwco

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 1, 2004
Outer Banks
Quick question, are we allowed to do our own installs with D* or do they insist having their installers do it? I had D* years ago and remember installing myself. I want the HD receiver, but want them to ship to me and I'll install.

Thanks in advance.

tobwco

Thanks

Hey, I know you :) I bought some receivers from you years and years ago. I was very happy with your service and prices. Very pleasant to deal with. I'll be calling you Monday? Looking the the D* HD Receiver. Is it decent?

Thanks again,
tobwco

I called Direct today to turn on a receiver I have had turned off for about a year, while on the phone I asked about a phase 3 dish. The Csr who seemed very knowlegeable had me order one for 60$ and some change and set up an install for monday. I told him that I would be gone monday and would rather self install... he gave me a number at direct to call to find the installer. I called this number and bypassed the area code and phone number menu and eventually got a Csr who would not let me get the dish, said it was not allowed. I asked for a supervisor and she said they were all busy so I told here I wanted to cancel my phase 3 dish order and she said it was not in the system yet, so she said she would have a supervisor call me when ava.
I went to town, stopped by my local direct outfit, bought a phase 3 for 100$ and had it installed by the time I got a return call.... the supervisor said they were not allowed to let customers self install any direct equipment anymore. So I guess Circuit City or Best Buy will get my business if I decide to Go the HD route with D*. (btw the 1st CSR said all of my programming would be transfered to an HD receiver if I bought one... I get CBS and NBC distants so apparentlly I could get them) also, the phase 3 dish is very simple compared to installing a E* dpp44 switch with 3 dishes or even putting in a BUD :)

dfergie, thanks for the info, thats odd they prohibit installation of units purchased from them. guess the are giving trying to business to their installers ??? I'm in same boat for getting the DNS, so hopefully get HD CBS/NBC

I was a pegasus sub, but I asked the Csr and he said he was 100% D*and he said he was....I should have gotten his name and work hours in case I decide to get a receiver :) (in order to get the HD programming) and perhaps a lot of people mess up the installation so bad that they get complaints...

That's what I'm thinking it is, is they don't want to have a lot of service calls from people who mess up the install. Another point may be that they don't want to get someone who installed the system themselves and claim that a pro did it and it should be under warranty.

You are right, self installs have a higher number of issue's then most "pro" installs over the life of the system, DTV looks at it as quality control.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Follow up on installation

No Dolby Digital thru TV using HDMI with HR10-250

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)