Digital storage for my DVR

Hondo78

Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
S.F. Peninsula
Anyone using a Buffalo drive for media storage? I am attempting to find what hardware is requred to link a separate drive 1TB or greater, to my DVR so I can load all DVD's to one location for playback at will.

I can then leave my DVD's at home while traveling.

Anyone know of a solution to Digital storage?

Anyone using a Buffalo drive for media storage? I am attempting to find what hardware is requred to link a separate drive 1TB or greater, to my DVR so I can load all DVD's to one location for playback at will.

I can then leave my DVD's at home while traveling.

Anyone know of a solution to Digital storage?

If you rip your dvd's and put them on an external harddrive, and then hook that harddrive up to your dvr for recording, the dvr will format it, and you'll lose those dvd images anyway. The dvr recordings are encoded with copy protection, and can only be played back on a dish receiver itself, and it must have a sat signal to do so.

Or, you can burn dvr recordings in real time, to a dvd burner, and place everything on individual dvd's. You can't do the reverse, and have your ripped dvd's play on the dvr.

You can't share an external drive between a dvr and dvd device at the same time.

You need a Digital Media Adapter (Popcorn Hour or any of the dozens of similar devices) to play back your ripped DVDs from the hard drive. Some devices, like the PCH have room for an internal drive, while others, like the Western Digital WDTV require an external hard drive for playback.

What does this have to do with Dish???

Quick Newbie Q

DTV Pal?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)