Digital locals: Why can cable do it but not Satellite???

hell i have seen local cable cos just toss a few high gain directional UHF OTA antennas onto their tower and process the local digital right into their systems. i wish we all had a few thou, FCC & HOA approval to errect a 100' tower in the yard.

charper1 said:
hell i have seen local cable cos just toss a few high gain directional UHF OTA antennas onto their tower and process the local digital right into their systems. i wish we all had a few thou, FCC & HOA approval to errect a 100' tower in the yard.

In my case the tower would have to be more like 200'!!! Or I could just stop being a *whimp* and climb some of the pine trees to put up an antenna! :rolleyes:

Grandude said:
You guys are making me homesick. Wife and I are former Duluthians, born and raised there but now holed up on the left (west) coast, north of San Francisco. (la la land)

Hey, at least I'm sure you get the HD local channels where you are!! :D

Fgsilva said:
Hey, at least I'm sure you get the HD local channels where you are!! :D
I'm 53 miles north of the main SF antenna array on Sutro Tower with some difficult terrain in between, so no, getting OTA is iffy for me. Sometimes good signels on most stations and sometimes almost nothing. The best performing OTA for me is a VHF digital station about 100 miles away. Go figure.

Grandude said:
I'm 53 miles north of the main SF antenna array on Sutro Tower with some difficult terrain in between, so no, getting OTA is iffy for me. Sometimes good signels on most stations and sometimes almost nothing. The best performing OTA for me is a VHF digital station about 100 miles away. Go figure.

That sounds almost like where I am. Although up in the mountains, to get to my home, we go up, then go down and lots of trees surround my place. Great view for contemplating the nature, but a blockage of my OTA signals!!!
F

Fgsilva said:
That sounds almost like where I am. Although up in the mountains, to get to my home, we go up, then go down and lots of trees surround my place. Great view for contemplating the nature, but a blockage of my OTA signals!!!
F
If I ever move again, God forbid, I will not even consider a location without good OTA reception. I moved here from Fremont, CA which had a perfect line of site to Sutro Tower. HD OTA would have been a snap there, but that was five years ago and who would have known then what we know now. :cool:

Grandude said:
If I ever move again, God forbid, I will not even consider a location without good OTA reception. I moved here from Fremont, CA which had a perfect line of site to Sutro Tower. HD OTA would have been a snap there, but that was five years ago and who would have known then what we know now. :cool:

Well, I guess by the time I move again Dish will have added my local on HD so it will be OK and I can have them anywhere i go!

F

skidog said:
Hey iceberg it's nice to see someone else from minnesota on here, I'm in Waconia where are you at the Iron Range? :D

about 20 miles from ya :)

Shakopee....use to live in Duluth so I "keep in touch" (the KBJR 6 slogan) with Duluth :)

FS Rom3 Rev372

Info on Dish/Starz promo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)