Delay Movers Connection or Move Forward?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

yourbeliefs

Something Profound
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 20, 2007
Northeast
My wife and I are moving to an apartment and have set up an appointment for D* to come set up our service on 11/14 (this after I had to change it from the 15th because according to Halsted, I made the appointment too far in advance.) The people in charge of the building (who do not know that I am installing D*) are in the process of cleaning and painting the apartment. They said that we should not move in until the 15th, as there may be some cleaning and/or painting going on before that. Our "official" move in date is not until the 17th. In addition, there will not be any furniture in the apartment when D* comes, nor will the televisions they will be hooked up to be installed either. My plan was to bring 1 or 2 of my dad's HDTVs over that day just so the installer and I can at least verify that the stuff works. Also I will have the room "planned out" so that I can tell him where to put the lines/jacks through the walls.

Given the run-around that Halsted usually has (i tried calling yesterday to ask questions and the woman complained that the line was too noisy and had me hang up), am I better off just taking my chances with this install date so I can at least get it out of the way, or am I better off seeing if I can delay it a few days so that we're better organized and prepared for them? Also, would they even do the installation if they see the apartment in the state that I mentioned earlier?

If you won't have keys, or permission to enter the unit, you have no choice but to reschedule your install after the 17th. Hopefully they(Halsted) will be a bit more accommodating.

Also, be sure to read your lease. Most apartment complexes don't allow new lines run. You would probably benefit by talking to the lease agent and discussing options. This may save you a ton of money at the end of your lease.

If you won't have keys, or permission to enter the unit, you have no choice but to reschedule your install after the 17th. Hopefully they(Halsted) will be a bit more accommodating.

Also, be sure to read your lease. Most apartment complexes don't allow new lines run. You would probably benefit by talking to the lease agent and discussing options. This may save you a ton of money at the end of your lease.

We will have access to the place with keys.

The building is owned by my wife's college, and no where does it say in the lease that we cannot add a dish, not to mention the fact that there is currently a dish on the roof anyways. The dish is very old though so we can't use it and need to install a Slimline. Still, the fact that it's there tells me that dish installation is allowed, since they have owned the building since the 1950's, which last I checked means that they had it when the dish was put on. In addition, they are no longer providing students with free cable, AND our upstairs neighbors get their television directly from Comcast. In fact, according to the lease, we don't need the school's authority to do nearly ANYTHING to the building. Finally, on the installation permission form, it says that installation can still be done if the lease does not require the landlord give permission beforehand.

I realize that doing it without getting explicit consent may not be the "best" way to do it, but seeing as it isn't mentioned in the agreement, nor is there any clear evidence to lead one to believe that it is not allowed, I'd rather get it installed and then if problems come up to just deal with them as they come. That way, at least my dish is still up and working and I can enjoy D* programming, as opposed to having to iron out a bunch of things beforehand and I have to pay for D* service even though I can't even use it.

Your attitude sounds very costly but it also sounds like you plan on doing exactly what you want irregardless of advice given to you so the only answer that seems appropriate is "GOOD LUCK".

Your attitude sounds very costly but it also sounds like you plan on doing exactly what you want irregardless of advice given to you so the only answer that seems appropriate is "GOOD LUCK".
Well it could be costly either way. If they said flat out "No you can't install the dish" then I have to deal with the cancellation fees of D*, not to mention the fact that I'll need to go with another provider which I won't like as much. What are these other costs that you think may be incurred from me just moving forward? Assuming not a lot of extra work needs to be done (the house is over 100 years old and has been renovated a number of times), aside from potential roofing costs, what do you see as added expenses?

Well if its an apartment any competent tech is going to stop by the leasing office before he stops by your apartment to find out any restrictions they may have. Even if it is not in the lease doesn't permit a free for all upgrade to services no matter how "trivial" or "in the know" you are.

Any time I go into an Aprtment Complex/Business Complex/Townhome Community/Known rental properties.. *I* Make sure *I* get permission to do the install and inform the landlord of any charges that may occur because of restrictions they have and that the tenant can come back to them for those charges. (ie Pole Mount/Tripod charges because a structure install is not permitted)

You may get a dumbass tech that just does the job, but if the landlord comes to you and says oh hell no, your stuck in your contract even if they make you remove the dish and replace any damages made.

Moral.. get permission an find out restrictions before it ends up costing you thousands in repairs. Commercial replacement of a 1950's membrane is not cheap.

Running new lines in an apartment probably will not happen from a tech. He would run the line through a window to the location or use existing.

I called India.. err.. Halsted to try and change my moving date. They said that the earliest one they had after that was the 17th.. of DECEMBER.

The vibe I'm getting from other students who live in the area is that I should not have to deal with the school in terms of permissions, but given the amount of advice I've received from people on the matter here, I think we're going to go to the booth/housing department and talk to them about it in advance.

As far as the condition of the place goes, it looks like it's pretty much done. Of course, there's one GLARING omission that still exists, but that is in another thread.

Another question: Does anyone know of the DIRECT number to the Halsted installers of CT, and not just their general tech support line? I want to talk to them directly, and I know that at one time I was able to get a hold of an American who told me stuff that someone who worked directly with the installers would only know.

Update:

Talked to the housing person at the school about the dish. She didn't seem exactly shot in the ass about the idea, citing an incident where a dish was improperly installed on a roof and it caused damage and the school had to eat the repair costs. Essentially she said that if they simply replace the dish that's currently there and don't do any real additional work on the roof she's cool, OR if they remove the old dish stuff and then mount the new one on the side of the building.

FWIW, attached is a picture of the building. You can see the small old D* on the far right side of the roof that covers the entry way.

Moving into this place was supposed to simplify our lives, yet it seems that getting to that state is ANYTHING but simple.

Attachments

• 00530201.jpg
    00530201.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 171
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Directv 1080p upgrade

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)