DD-WRT and vip722k

ususer

Original poster
Oct 8, 2010
US
Hi,
I'm trying to connect the VIP722k to the internet. I have a DD-WRT router which I use for my HTPC. The VIP722k needs DHCP. However I'm running on static IPs. What should I do?

Thanks,

Ken

Hi,
I'm trying to connect the VIP722k to the internet. I have a DD-WRT router which I use for my HTPC. The VIP722k needs DHCP. However I'm running on static IPs. What should I do?

Thanks,

Ken

You mean in the "Services" tab of DD-WRT you just assigned static IP's right?

If so, that's what I do as well, and that's still technically using DHCP. I just didn't give the DVR a specific address, and I let the router just assign whatever IP it wants to the box. No point in having a static IP anyway for the box, as no ports need to be forwarded to the box.

I have my 722 hooked up to a router using dd-wrt. I use the "Services" tab to set Static (Leases) IP addresses in the .0.x range to all my gear and then set the DHCP to .100.x range for 5 slots or just turn it off. When you set the Static IPs you have to use the MAC address (00:00:00:00:00:00) of each particular device to do it, so it locks the device and the IP address together. When I power cycle or update the dd-wrt firmware my 722 looses the IP lock and pressing the "Reset Connection" in Menu-6-1-9-2, it takes a couple seconds, it will regain the IP address that you assign to it. It also will do it on its own eventually if you leave it. You can find your DVRs MAC address in the panel at Menu-6-1-9-2. It'll be the green one listed as Ethernet MAC:.

I use this process to lock in IP addresses for my main computer for remote access and this allows for a device that will not allow a static IP to be set in it to function as if it did. I have had this set up for a long time with no issues.

Hope this helps . . .
. . . sf

Last edited:
I agree, turn on DHCP and just have a pool of 1. What I do is set DHCP on and then have it start at IP address 50 and up. Then I use the 1-49 IP addresses for any static numbers I want to setup. That way if the kids have a friend over with a laptop there are some IP addresses for him/her.

FSN RM Not on HD Alternate

Update Dish VIP211 receiver

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)