D* HD 2 year commit?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

igator99

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 16, 2006
I was wondering since I'm hitting the 110 which I understand has all the D* HD programming can I go to circuit city and get an HD reciever and not have the 2 year commit since all the "expert techs" have told me it is a miracle I'm getting anything at all? Has anyone tried this and not had the 2 year commit?

igator99 said:
I understand 110 has all the D* HD programming

Not true last time I read; this is not to specific detail, just basic explinations of what & where.

99.2 - has HD LIL

101.0 - has core programming & some HD DNS & locals

102.8 - has HD LIL

109.8 - has National HD

119.0 - has National HD & locals

Last edited:
charper1 said:
Not true last time I read; this is not to specific detail, just basic explinations of what & where.

99.2 - has HD LIL

101.0 - has core programming & some HD DNS & locals

102.8 - has HD LIL

109.8 - has National HD

119.0 - has National HD & locals

I'm getting really confused now. What is HD LIL? I never knew there was a 99.2, 102.8 or 109.8. If all of these are locals then what is D* and E* really doing? I was really happy back in 88 with with 119 and a good OTA. They are spending millions what most of us can get for free? I would want 500 specialty channels and get my locals of the air.

igator99 said:
I'm getting really confused now. What is HD LIL? I never knew there was a 99.2, 102.8 or 109.8. If all of these are locals then what is D* and E* really doing? I was really happy back in 88 with with 119 and a good OTA. They are spending millions what most of us can get for free? I would want 500 specialty channels and get my locals of the air.

99.2 is Spaceway 2, 102.8 is Spaceway 1, and 109.8 is Directv 5. HD LIL is the local channels in hd from Directv.

From what was communicated to me by the CSR I talked to even if you have been with D* since the start and you get HD equipment and activate it you are committed to D* for two years!

igator99 said:
I was really happy back in 88 with with 119 and a good OTA. They are spending millions what most of us can get for free?

Did I miss something ?
How were you getting D* back in '88.

They are spending millions on lil so that everyone has the ability to have thier locals, not everyone can get locals OTA, many do, but not all can.

The other reason for this is that D* was losing subs to cable because they could not provide local channels a while back.

Jimbo

Maybe hes talking back in the C-band realm. I have had BUD for at least that long and still use it, but for the life of me would never remember what was located in that orbital slot back then; LOL!

:eek:

I also don't think the DBS providers were "losing subs" on an over-all basis, its just of subs that did leave or people that had not switched to DBS, it was because their preference was due to cable having locals from their DMA and some had locals from surrounding areas; this is why LIL and HD LIL has been such a huge concern for DBS to get online ASAP. Cable's margin has been shrinking steadily for a while.

It should also be noted that it was not the choice of the DBS providers not to provide LIL, but the NAB partnering with local cable companies to PREVENT them from getting the rights to do so. Ever since, DBS has been trying to catch up to level the playing field. AND they continue to attempt to screw DBS at every turn.

Last edited:
charper1 said:
It should also be noted that it was not the choice of the DBS providers not to provide LIL, but the NAB partnering with local cable companies to PREVENT them from getting the rights to do so. Ever since, DBS has been trying to catch up to level the playing field. AND they continue to attempt to screw DBS at every turn.

I had heard a little bit about this but was unaware of the details

Jimbo

Jimbos said:
Did I miss something ?
How were you getting D* back in '88.

They are spending millions on lil so that everyone has the ability to have thier locals, not everyone can get locals OTA, many do, but not all can.

The other reason for this is that D* was losing subs to cable because they could not provide local channels a while back.

Jimbo

I've been hitting the 119 since 88. At that time I bought a big OTA antenna from Radio Shack with a booster and had no trouble getting my locals. I realize that this isn't the case for everyone.

119 refers to a satellite orbital slot in outer space in geostationary orbit at 119 degrees west and 22,240 statute miles above ground and can not be received with a VHF/UHF "OTA" antenna; what exactly are you meaning

Last edited:
charper1 said:
119 refers to a satellite orbital slot in outer space in geostationary orbit at 119 degrees west and 22,240 statute miles above ground and can not be received with a VHF/UHF "OTA" antenna; what exactly are you meaning

True and perhaps I didnt' explain myself. Was not 119 the original and only sat to hit back in 98? I had a single lnb dish and hit it with no problem. I used a radio shack off the air antenna ( your typical 1950's antenna) for many years to get my locals back then. This brings to my mind another question. DirecTV and Echostar are spending millions to make sure we all get our locals. Is it really worth it? With that Sat space they could be providing us with many wild channels. Although I can get my locals with an OTA it is nice not bother with that anymore but I would rather keep that OTA going and get another 100 channels I can't get. Just my humble opinion.

I am almost positive that DirecTV's 1st core satellite DirecTV-1 originated from the 110.0° W slot and was launched in 12/1993; They officially launched services in 1994. DirecTV-2 went up in 8/1994 into the 100.8° W slot and then DirecTV-6 at 109.8° W in 3/1997 and DirecTV-1R into 100.8° W in 10/1999.

The List:

DirecTV 1 110.0° W 12/1993
DirecTV 2 100.8° W 8/1994
DirecTV 6 109.8° W 3/1997
DirecTV 1R 100.8° W 10/1999
DirecTV 4S 101.2° W 11/2001
DirecTV 5 72.5° W 5/2002
DirecTV 7S 119.0° W 5/2004
DirecTV 8 101.0° W 5/2005
Spaceway 1 102.8° W 4/2005
Spaceway 2 99.2° W 11/2005
DirecTV 9S Fall 2006
DirecTV 10 Spring 2007
DirecTV 11 Summer 2007
DirecTV 12 2007 ? (on ground spare?)

For years the NAB and partnered cable companies fought to keep DBS providers from retransmitting locals and/or network signals because they know the is a prime concern/need for many customers. Ever since DBS won the rights to do so, they have been rushing to catch up by providing what the vast majority of customers say is a primary concern to them; locals and now locals in HD. So YES, it is worth it to them as a business model and to many of their current and future subs. True many people can get OTA just fine, but there are just as many people that can't.

Last edited:
igator99 said:
From what was communicated to me by the CSR I talked to even if you have been with D* since the start and you get HD equipment and activate it you are committed to D* for two years!

Does anyone know if this is the case if I were to buy an HD DirecTivo from NewEgg?

manhole said:
Does anyone know if this is the case if I were to buy an HD DirecTivo from NewEgg?

Yes, it does NOT matter where or how you get the hardware, if you are activating new (to your account) advanced equipment, you get a 2 year commit, and standard equipment gets 1 year, no tricks to get around it[*], no loopholes, you get the commitment, period.

[*] If you _just_ started a new 1 year and you get advanced equipment, you _may_ be able to get them to just append 1 year to the (new) 1 year you just got, for a total of 2 years.

Last edited:
manhole said:

That's what the csr told me. You gave me an idea. What would happen if I went out and bought an HD reciever and a year from now didn't have a line of sight? According the csr they would release me of my obligation but know D* I bet they would send a NASA engenieer out here to get me the signal. :D

The reason why I don't have DTV today is that commitmnet! I was once told that, if I were to purchase my own equipment, they could change to a one year commitment.....then was told by another CSR, that was not possible.

I really do not like 2 year commitments, a lot can change...job transfers, moving etc....

If you do not want the 2 year commitment....look into Dish Network!!!!!

miguelaqui said:
a lot can change...job transfers, moving etc....

This will not effect your ability to get the service in 99% of the cases, and if you do happen into that 1% you can get out of the commitment. So that is no excuse in reality. It all depends on the deals you are trying to score.

Saying Dish has no commitments is not 100% true, Dish has commitments too: http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/getdish/dha/ or http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/customerCare/offers/dish_500_upgrade/

requires an 18-month commitment to Digital Home Advantage. If qualifying service is terminated prior to end of 18 months, a cancellation fee equal to the lesser of $240 or $13.33 per month for each cancelled month of service will apply. Restrictions apply. See offer terms and conditions for details.

or

1) Agree to a minimum programming purchase of America's Top 60, DISH Latino,
Great Wall TV Package or DishFAMILY for 12 consecutive months (Commitment offers a
discount value of $40.00!)

Certain restrictions apply. We reserve the right to change prices, packages, and programming at any time, including without limitation during any term commitment period to which you have agreed. DISH Network shall determine eligibility in its sole discretion and reserves the right to deny eligibility for any reason.

If you are participating in a promotion with a mandatory commitment period, you may incur a cancellation fee if your programming subscription drops below the minimum requirements.

Last edited:
miguelaqui said:
The reason why I don't have DTV today is that commitmnet! I was once told that, if I were to purchase my own equipment, they could change to a one year commitment.....then was told by another CSR, that was not possible.

I really do not like 2 year commitments, a lot can change...job transfers, moving etc....

yes but it is a 18 month commitment with dish. unless you want to spend a whole lot of money buying crappy receivers.

miguelaqui said:

OK lets VOTE !!!

How many of us LIKE our 1 or 2 yr commintment ????
--
--
--
--
--
--
Ok, I didn't think so,

See no one WANTS a commitment of any kind, but it's the nature of doing business.
We accept the terms and condutions or we go with another provider.
IF you want Sat service , charper1 just gave you some of the T & C with DISH.

The choice comes down to each individuals choice as to what you want from you TV provider

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Realistic Look at the Future of HD

No signal from Transponder 1?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)