Cyber attack: 750,000 malicious emails traced back to hacked home appliances

Yeah I saw that article, it is pretty ridiculous to put the networking capability in these devices without even thinking of security.

I have to scratch my head on this one.

I'm guessing that they are running a Linux Distro, and as such I have to wonder why they would have services open beyond the local network. SELinux would be a good candidate here.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk

I have to scratch my head on this one.

I'm guessing that they are running a Linux Distro, and as such I have to wonder why they would have services open beyond the local network. SELinux would be a good candidate here.

I suspect that PC virus writers put in code to scan the local network for devices that could easily be compromised and attack them on the local network. Your PC gets infected -- now it infects all your appliances.

I'm guessing that they are running a Linux Distro, and as such I have to wonder why they would have services open beyond the local network.
I would imagine that they're using Android or Java (built on a small footprint Linux). I don't think we should make the assumption that they're necessarily setting up a relay to make this work. They may actually be embedding code that generates the spam internally.

Gmail and other Google services go down (updated)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)