Crazy bad@ss Verizon FIOS TV plans

T2k

The Raw Nerve
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jun 5, 2004
Park Slope, NYC
I guess we can call this 'holy sh*t' category...

FiOS TV Features Update

I was lucky enought to participate in a Verizon FiOS TV marketing focus group earlier this week in Carle Place, Long Island. Here's what I found out:

1. Verizon will be launching FiOS TV to certain towns in Western Nassau including Great Neck, Manhasset, Port Washington and Roslyn (there may be others) on Sept. 1st.

2. The service will offer 300 channels with 18 sports channels, 3X the number of HD channels that Cablevision currently offers, 1,800 on-demand programs and all of the standard local channels (except stuff like News12 and NY1).

3. They will offer a DVR box that can record up to SIX programs simultaneously and stream video from one room to another if you have multiple DVR boxes.

4. Supposedly, it will be cheaper than cable, but there was NO other info about possible pricing.

That's what I know right now. Hope this helps!

Taken from http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/remark,13580131

If Verizon can pull this off it will make SBC with their Project LightSpeed look like the turkey that it really is.

when i first heard of recording six programs at once, i thought to my self, i will never need too. i think the most i wanted to do was three, but hey, with all that hd, you never know.

how are they going to have 51hd channels as of 9/1? Havent heard of verizon having there own production studio to make their own content. So anyone have an idea how they are even going to come close to that number? also last i heard they havent signed a deal with hbo, this was about 1-1 1/2 months ago, has that changed as well?

i believe you are right, they do not have hbo and cnn yet (don't care about cnn) which are both owned by time warner. i don't think they have a deal with abc yet either.

korsjs said:
i believe you are right, they do not have hbo and cnn yet (don't care about cnn) which are both owned by time warner. i don't think they have a deal with abc yet either.

its gonna suck if they dont get hbo by january when they are going to release more sopranos episodes

Turner Broadcasting and FIOS

korsjs said:

Verizon Ready For Competition, Cuts Deal With Turner
TV/Video Blog
« Important ATSC Tuner Compliance Dates | Main | Product of the Week: 40-49" LCD Flat Panel TVs »

From Matthew Torres,
Your Guide to TV / Video.
FREE Newsletter. Sign Up Now!

July 07, 2005
Verizon Ready For Competition, Cuts Deal With Turner
Verizon and Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. (TBS, Inc) announced a programming-distribution agreement that allows Verizon to carry the Turner stations on their upcoming television service Fios TV. The channels include TBS, TNT (HD), CNN, Headline News, Cartoon Network, Turner Classic Movies (TCM), CNN International, CNN en Español and Boomerang.

"We are pleased to partner with Verizon to further expand their Fios programming lineup and enhance their customers’ viewing experience with the addition of the Turner Broadcasting’s extensive collection of top-rated content,” said Coleman Breland, executive vice president, sales and marketing, Turner Network Sales.

Scheduled to debut late this year, Verizon Fios TV will offer hundreds of digital video channels to homes throughout the US via Verizon's fiber-to-the-premises (FTTP) broadband network. Verizon's FTTP network is already in half the states where it offers landline communications service, and will undoubtedly be a major competitor to cable and satellite.

Other deals

Verizon Communications Inc. plans to aggressively target cable and satellite subscribers with three low-priced programming packages for its upcoming FiOS TV service, which the company plans to launch during the second half of 2005.

Industry sources said Verizon will attempt to woo customers with a $50-to-$55-per-month programming package that would include premium channels from Starz Entertainment Group and Showtime Networks Inc., along with more than 150 digital basic channels.

Sources said Verizon will also offer two lower-priced tiers — a lifeline video service which would only contain local broadcast channels, and a basic-programming tier which would feature traditional analog basic cable channels such as ESPN, MTV: Music Television, Cable News Network and USA Network.

Verizon spokesman Eric Rabe said the company will offer multiple programming tiers, but declined to confirm specific pricing or packaging offers.

“We hope to be more creative and, frankly, more user friendly on a lot of scores here,” Rabe said when asked if Verizon planned to pursue unique packaging strategies with premium channels, compared to the way cable operators have traditionally packaged channels like Home Box Office and Showtime.

DEALS WITH150
A source said Verizon has reached distribution deals with programmers that would give the company more than 150 channels to market to subscribers. But Verizon has only announced a handful of programming deals for FiOS TV, most recently an agreement with Showtime Networks last week.

Verizon has also touted agreements with Starz Entertainment Group, NBC Universal Cable, A&E Television Networks, Court TV and, also last week, Varsity TV, Gospel Music Channel, Soundtrack Channel, MavTV and GolTV.

Sources said Verizon has also pitched HBO on the idea of joining Starz and Showtime channels in a widely distributed tier which would include digital-basic channels, but the telco and HBO haven't yet hammered out a deal. HBO declined to comment.

Officials at Starz and Showtime declined to discuss the terms of their agreements with Verizon, but Showtime executive vice president Mark Greenberg said he expected that his carriage deal would drive distribution for Showtime and the company's other channels, including The Movie Channel and Flix, plus HDTV and VOD programming.

“We are excited by the proposition that Showtime will reach a wider audience,” Greenberg said.

so i stand correct,no hbo. I do not think their service is going to go anywhere quick without hbo, its the number#1 premium channel that people ask for, especially if they are on a tight budget and want at least 1 premium.

Verizon denies FiOS TV launch in NY
By Carol Wilson

Aug 23, 2005 3:41 PM

Verizon is denying a Web-based report that it will launch its FiOS TV service in Long Island, NY on Sept. 1. The reports have been posted on the Web-based BroadbandReports.com site, from an individual who claimed to be part of a marketing trial Verizon held in N.Y.

Many of the details of the service reported in the claim were accurate, according to a spokesperson. For example, Verizon does plan to offer about 300 channels with 20 HDTV channels and 1800 on-demand programs, she said.

“We will not be launching the service in New York,” the spokeswoman stated. “We don’t have any video franchises in New York, so it’s highly unlikely we’ll provide TV there that soon. We’ve always said we’re going to launch in Keller, Texas.”

That launch is still scheduled for later this year, with a definite date to be named later.

FiOS is Verizon's fiber-to-the-premises deployment, which currently supports voice and high-speed data service at 5 Megabits per second, 15 Mbps and 30 Mbps.

Mexican TV in USA

guess whos back

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)