corrupted SD card on the droid - semaphore has expired

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
Grrr.... my SDHC card on my Droid is corrupted. I was taking pictures with the phone, and it just started going crazy, trying to force close; I said, ok, close. But it was still not working. Tried to go through Advanced Task Killer, it locked. Ended up pulling the battery - and then, "SD Card is corrupted.. SD card is safe to remove"

Lucky, I have a 2GB spare microSD card with me, and I put it in, but of course, half of my apps are living on my 16GB card. So I load the 16GB card in my laptop, and it runs, although for the camera folder, and the camera cache folder, I get a "semaphore time period has expired." I can not copy from that folder to the laptop. And then the card stops responding.

I was able to copy the Android.secure folder, which has my apps2sd stuff, and I then got that to the 2Gb card. And that worked, although when the phone boots, it takes a bit to find those apps. I guess I should move them back to the phone temporarily. Particularly PDANet, since that is where my internet is coming from right now.

I know the solution - hit the format button when Droid says "drive is corrupted, do you want to format." But I hate doing that.

:facepalm

Been there on my phone too and I have a 16 Gb card.
I do a backup every morning to a self expanding install file but that is for the phone. I then pull the sd card once in awhile and stick it in the laptop microSD slot and make a copy. But like most people doing backups I don't get to it often. Usually once a month. I've lost files on the card a couple times in the last few years but I just don't have an easier way to do the backup. I've had more issues with corrupted stuff on the phone memory ( win Mobile OS) and the backup software has been a real life saver. I maintain the past 5 days backups and a couple of permanent ones.

I have lost some photos from this week, but most of my files are ok; I was able to back-up everything.

I assume this is a problem common with flash memory?

I ordered a second 16gb card from Amazon, and will start swapping them out - and from now on, downloading the photos I take. That is the part that annoys me most. Losing the photos.

android

Apple is foolish

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts