Coolsat 5000 platunum

Status
Please reply by conversation.

calmeidajr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 28, 2009
NJ
Hello I am having trouble with my receiver. It has 4 lines on it like its powered up but no channel number. It doesn't power off it only had the 4 small lines and no channel number is displayed. It happened out of nowhere. Any help appreciated.

sounds like some corrupt firmware. I think (its been so long since this happened on mine) the 4 lines means no channels logged in. Do you get anything on the screen?

I would try and reload firmware on it

Iceberg how would i do that i dont have the cable or the firmware? Do i buy the cable somewhere?

Iceberg how would i do that i dont have the cable or the firmware? Do i buy the cable somewhere?

Calmeidajr,

If you have a PC with a serial port (DB-9 connector) then you can use a straight serial cable direct to the Coolsat. Problem is, most newer PC's don't have serial ports any longer, just USB. If this is your case, then you need a USB to SERIAL adapter "dongle". THe best that I have found is the Belkin F5U409. They are inexpensive.

Sometimes the seller will send a driver disc with the adapter depending upon where you buy one from. Your PC will automatically search online for the driver, depending upon what windows operating system you have.

Don't go out and buy any old USB to SERIAL adapter, like from Walmart or Radio shack. They use different converter IC's in the adapters and they do not all process the serial information the same. Go with the Belkin F5U409 because I can guarantee that it will work for you.

You still need a serial cable regardless whether you need the adapter or not. The adapter will have just a short pigtail cable and it won't reach from your PC to the Coolsat. You need an extension serial cable. There is nothing special about these cables, really, but you have to ensure that the gender of the ends match what they plug into (male vs female ends). The serial cable uses pins 2, 3 and 5. 2 and 3 are the signal transmit and receive lines and 5 is the common.

For a straight cable, pins 2 and 2 on each end are connected and pins 3 and 3 on each end are connected and pins 5 and 5 on each end are connected.
For a crossover cable, pins 2 and 3 get reversed going from one end of the cable to the other, pin 5 is the same.
You want the straight serial cable.

For firmware, you can download the best aftermarket version HERE: FTAFirmware for Coolsat

Download the file for the Coolsat 5000: CS5000 - 006 - 2009/12/23 This is identical to the original factory firmware with added features and bonuses. It is safe (not hackerware). It is what I use in my box.

You will also need the LOADER program so that you can communicate between the Coolsat and your PC. I use CS Pro Loader v2.4. You can search for it here on the forum or google for it.

RADAR

Last edited:
Calmeidajr,

One further note. Before you proceed, power the box OFF and disconnect the cable from the LNB (antenna) and power the box back up and see what you get.

If I recall correctly, if there is a short or a high load on that cable it will bog the internal power supply of the Coolsat down and an overload protection circuit will
kick in. If this is the case, the Coolsat receiver will attempt to reboot continuously until the problem is corrected. When it reboots, the display cycles through
several different display indications. i.e. 8888 ---- 0000 BLANK 8888 ----- 0000 BLANK 8888 ---- 0000 or something like that.

Your description refers to just a solid indication of four bars across the display ----, so I don't think that a short on the incoming cable is the problem, but check
this to be sure. I think that the problem is with the firmware or channel list being corrupt, just as Iceberg surmises, but always check the redundant and obvious
possibilities first.

RADAR

Status
Please reply by conversation.

recommendations on receaver

91ºw 3720 no signal?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)