Considering Direct TV, Do I have everything correct?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Lpj8

Original poster
Aug 14, 2005
First, this is an awesome resource for Dish information. I found a ton of useful information in the forums, Thanks to everyone who contributes.

I'm moving to a new house and the price of cable is much higher than what I have been paying. Right now I get: Digital Cable, DVR Service,One free On Demand movie per month, HBO and Cinemax, HBO and Cinemax on Demand, and Cable internet for $85.00 per month. Pretty sweet deal.
Where i'm moving I'll get Digital Cable, DVR service without anything else for $75. Talk about a huge increase just for moving across the city! Internet is another 30-32 bucks, which I'll definitely be getting from somewhere.

If I switched to sateliite, I'd want to be able to watch TV in two rooms, and I'd want DVR service. I don't care about HD, or Football (well I love football, but can't justify the expense)
So, here is how I see the fees breaking down.
$41.99 - Programing
$5.99 - DVR Service
$4.99 - Extra Mirroring for the additional room
I'd also have to begin getting a phone line which would cost me 18.60.
Total per month - $52.99 for Direct Tv programming, and 71.51 when including the extra expenses for a phone line, approaching what it would cost to go through cable.

Or I could go with Dish Network, get the 60 package (31.99), pay an extra 5 bucks for DVR, and another 5 bucks for not having a phone line.
Total per month = 41.99 plus taxes.

Here are my questions-
1. Do I have all of my information correct?
2. Do I have to get mirroring service for the second room if I get a dual tuner DVR? I know with DISH I wouldn't have to do this if I geta dual tuner DVR.
3. The website states that while you can get service without a phone line, you can only have one reciever. It says that if they aren't connected continuously, they will be shut off. Is this true?
4. Are there any additional fees for not connecting your recievers to a phone line?
5. Whats everyones experience with Direct TV customer service? I've read the stories about Dish Network's, but not so much about Direct TV.
6. Does selecting a Dish provider really just come down to channel selections? How happy are you with your Dish provider?
7. Is Direct TV's equipment reliable?Again, I've seen a lot more discussion regarding Dish network's equipment versus Direct Tv's.
8. I think installation should be easy because the previous owner of the house had a dish. Am I correct in this assumption?

I'm sorry if these are easy or apparant questions, but I'm new to this, and like to hear other peoples' opinions.

Thanks

Status
Please reply by conversation.

NFL Preseason on NFL Net.

Can anyone install in SW burbs of Chicago

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)