Connection questions

Rich L

Original poster
Nov 19, 2004
Germantown, MD
I currently have a Legacy Quad LNB connected to four receivers. I would replace one of my receivers with the 921. What would I need to do to connect the 921?

We need more info before we can give you an informed answer to your question.

What are the model numbers of your current receivers?
Which one do you intend to replace with the 921 with and which do you intend to keep?
Will you need access to programming on any of the satellites at locations other than 110/119?

KRK is correct - we need to know more. However a couple of facts are in order.
  • A Legacy Quad will support up to 4 TUNERS. No more. A switch is of no help.
  • Conversion to DishPro LNBF(s) will mean that all of your 4-digit model (Legacy) receivers will need Adapters, or DishProPlus technology.
  • If possible, adding a second Dish500 is probably the cheapest way out.

Doesn't the new Dish Pro Plus Quad LNB have Legacy support and allows Duel tuners on a single cable feed? If so, then that will be an option when they hit the market.

No such animal as a DPPQuad.

There's a DPPTwin soon to be released. The accompanying DPP44 switch also provides legacy support. Both would not help in this situation.

Sounds like you'd have to go to a DPQuad and a DP34 switch. You can run 4 of your rcvrs lines off the DP34 and take the 5th/6th lines off the other side of the DPQuad.

You'd unfortunately have to get DPAdapters for each of your legacy XX00 model rcvrs.

The DPP44 is too expensive and wouldn't provide enough tuners. For one DPP44 (which you'd have to get a DPTwin to match) you could get both the DPQuad and DP34... it all depends on the amount of adapters needed.

BCS: Mostly good info, but:

The DPP44 WOULD handle his 5 tuners. The 921 that is replacing an old tuner only needs one port when used with a DPP Separator. That leaves 3 Legacy compatible ports - and maybe saving buying 3 DP Adapters.

Also, don't forget about the cascade outputs of the DP34 - a DP21 on the cascade might serve for the fourth box.

We just don't know the whole situation. Where o' where is the OP now?

510 vs 522 for main TV

721 search went bad, REAL BAD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)