Confused Newbie needs your help with what dish to buy.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

meakus

Original poster
Dec 22, 2005
Hi all,
I have been trying to figure out what dish to buy to help with an issue I have with Rain Fade. Any medium to heavy rain and my signal is pretty much gone. Now being that I live in the Seattle Area, that is a little problem. I currently have the standard 3 LNB dish from DirecTV connected to H-20 with an OTA as well. The cable run is long due to where I had to place the dish, approx 75 feet of cable run. But I do have an amplifier on it. I plan on adding more Receivers to the system as well (As soon as the new DVR is released.)
My first thought was to use the Wave Frontier Toridial T-90 as I was also thinking of trying FTA. My main concern with this is from what I have been reading, DirecTV is going to the Ka-Band and I am having issues finding a Ka-Band lnb for that dish (Well any for that matter).
I was looking for any suggestions or slaps upside my head. Any help is greatly appreciated, as the more I read information, the more confused I get.:bow

Thanks
Jeff

There is no Ka LNB upgrade for the PhaseIII, you will need upgrade the entire dish to the AT9 model. As far as rain fade and the PhaseIII, Gainmaster makes a larger version of the PhaseIII thus more surface area = more gain and supposed less fade. Your dish also really needs to be at the most optimal peak in a high rain area. From from what I have read the Wave Frontier toroidal dishes might actually have less surface area, thus less gain. Maybe an expert on those can chime in.

Last edited:
75 feet of cable is not that long and should not require a line amp. You may want to try removing the line amp if you go to the Gainmaster or AT9.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

So, sign up for D* now.........

question regarding DVR rebate

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)