Confused about upgrading equipment at a home with only one coax cable available

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Well did you ever stop to think about these points before giving this (bad) advice???

- he STILL has to buy coax & fittings FOR that 2nd run?
- does he have the proper tools on-hand to properly terminate that new coax run - or do you suggest he just use a pocket knife & pliers?
- does he have ANY knowledge of how to even do all this?
- what if he starts doing all this drilling & drills into something - like a water pipe or electrical wiring, & then has to pay somebody $$$ to fix all those screw-ups; I would imagine it would cost WAY more than the KISS SWM upgrade that's been suggested.

At least going with the SWM swap, it's a VERY simple LNB swap & connecting a PS that will take probably take WAY less time than all the other hassle you are suggesting he go thru.

Dang, I thought I was the only one that thought this - ESPECIALLY after reading his post on prog remotes: :eek: :eek:

Pretty scary when you ARE messing w/RF remotes & DON'T understand something as basic as changing addresses... :eek:

Don't have time to break everything down for you, but first of as explained in the other post the RF was a typo and meant to say IR.
I would think somebody with limited intelligence could figure out that was typo as there is no way a RF remote would screw with another RF remote or receiver no matter how close or far they are. Glad though that your time is best spent by pulling typos from one post to another instead of actually helping people.

Now as far as my "bad" advice goes.

I did not say it would be easier or cheaper for sure.
I said it could be.
Of course, if he could flip an existing outlet and had a jumper along with a BBC then it wouldn't cost him a dime.

Again, I though the idea of a forum would be to give options.
He already has one way of doing things but there are several ways to skin a cat.
Does not make one right or wrong.

You need to start thinking out of the box.

Don't have time to break everything down for you, but first of as explained in the other post the RF was a typo and meant to say IR.
I would think somebody with limited intelligence could figure out that was typo as there is no way a RF remote would screw with another RF remote or receiver no matter how close or far they are.

Well since I'm sure I have even LESS time for this nonsense...

Sorry, but I DON'T assume ANYTHING - period! If I had "assumed" everything, we would NOT have know that the OP does NOT even have a MS in this setup. If you look back, I'M the one that finally got to the bottom of all that!

And as far as your RF post goes, AGAIN, because I don't A-S-S-U-M-E anything on this board, I would have known that you REALLY meant IR because???... :confused:

Glad though that your time is best spent by pulling typos from one post to another instead of actually helping people.

Dude, my YEARS of experience of helping people on this board alone speaks for itself - NOT to mention my help for my clients when I was doing dishes when they were 10ft'ers & doing CATV type distribution, so DON'T even go there as the month old "newbie" here.

Obviously others were questioning your advice as well, (& NOT mine) so I already feel vindicated on this one.
AND, if I see some (bad) advice being given again, that doesn't make sense for the situation, on other posts, I'll probably challenge it again...

You need to start thinking out of the box.

Uh, I think outside of the box EVERYDAY, thank you very much. For example, I was doing MRV LONG before D* & E* came out with their "breakthrough" offering. I even do this with my cable clients who want to watch their DVR's through the whole house - again, long before cable thought of this. (our cable co STILL doesn't even have such an offering yet...)
That's one of the reasons why I make such good money with all the afterwork I do with my "outside the box thinking" - particularly when I'm cleaning up all the messes that some D* (& E*) techs leave behind for frustrated customers.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Difference between RF & IR?

Error 3005 - Cannot download VOD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts