Confused about the arc for Eastern region

ilfoman

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 18, 2011
North
I want to take my 722K to our vacation home in Nova Scotia, Canada but I am confused as to which dish set-up to use - Eastern Arc or Western Arc. The azimuth for the 129 sat looks very low and there are lots of trees on the property. Can anyone help me please. The closest US landfall would be northern Maine.

It would definitely be Eastern Arc (61.5, 72.7 and 77) Although you might not get 77 from that far up north, but that's OK. There's nothing on 77 right now except for some HD locals is the Ohio River valley region.

Activation

It would definitely be Eastern Arc (61.5, 72.7 and 77) Although you might not get 77 from that far up north, but that's OK. There's nothing on 77 right now except for some HD locals is the Ohio River valley region.
Thanks for the quick reply. I have another question - my receiver is activated on 110/119/129 - Dish says I must be on 129 for HD. Will it still work on the eastern arc? I had a "chat" with a DN CSR and she insisted that I must be on 129 due to my home location in NC. I don't need locals.

If your Dish is a 1000.4, it would work for Eastern Arc but you would need to switch the LNB to an Eastern Arc LNB like the one in the photo below. Honestly I don't know how anyone is able to hit 129 from NC.

Attachments

• Dish-19.jpg
    Dish-19.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 149
If your Dish is a 1000.4, it would work for Eastern Arc but you would need to switch the LNB to an Eastern Arc LNB like the one in the photo below. Honestly I don't know how anyone is able to hit 129 from NC.
Rest assured that it is much easier to hit 129W from NC (~21 degrees) than it is to hit 61.5W from Seattle (~10.5 degrees).

I'll take your word on that harshness, but still, if I lived in NC and had a choice between the 2 arcs, I'd feel a lot comfortable going with Eastern arc. BTW, to the OP, what city in NC is your home location at? I'm curious to see if the CSR you chatted with was right or wrong about having to be on 129.
EDIT: 3 out of the 5 markets in NC have the locals on Eastern Arc only. The other 2 are on both arcs so unless you're getting your locals from another state, most likely you can stick with Eastern Arc from now on and not lose any locals.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/thelist/index.php?page=dishnetworkmarkets&sub=true#NC

129 works fine in NC.I use a dish 500 and get high 50's signal across most conus beams.

Home location is Raleigh. I think I have figured out why the CSR insisted on 129 - I have an old 4900 which I told her I would keep and it is on 110/119. But it is mpeg2 and the eastern sats are all mpeg4 If I switched to eastern arc, I would have to have a second dish set-up. The alternative would be to give up the 4900. I don't have any locals.

Home location is Raleigh. I think I have figured out why the CSR insisted on 129 - I have an old 4900 which I told her I would keep and it is on 110/119. But it is mpeg2 and the eastern sats are all mpeg4 If I switched to eastern arc, I would have to have a second dish set-up. The alternative would be to give up the 4900. I don't have any locals.

Yep that is correct.We are in the same boat here.Have legacy and VIP receivers.The installer hooked up a 1000.4 eastern arc dish like a bonehead even after I explained to him I had 129 locked and working.He insisted I had no los for 129:rolleyes::rolleyes: In the end it all worked out just have 3 dishes instead of 2.One dish 500 for 110/119 and one dish 500 for 129 and a big old 1000.4.

Your Raleigh locals are on 61.5, 129, 110, 119, and 72.5 depending upon the channel. EA is designed for MPEG4 receivers with WA designed for either MPEG 2 or 4. The 722k will work fine.

Thanks to everyone for your help. I've learned a lot. Here's my conclusions:
I'm keeping my 4900 so will keep my D500 setup on 110/119, because it's mpeg2 only.
I'm setting up my 722 on the eastern arc for all mpeg4 and HD.

Wing Dish

SportsSouth on Dish Multi Sport Package Now

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)