computer hookup to 501

jupiter166

Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
I have a laptop with an svideo plug that I would like to hook up to my dish 501 so I can burn dvds of the recorded shows I have, problem is I'm not sure if I can..or what type of software I'd need to stream the video...I tried to hook up an svideo to the 501 and then into the puter but got nothing, the computer didn't recognize anything hooked up..I'm not sure how to go about this and any help would be great..

Sorry, Unless you have like an HP MediaCenter or Sony Viao with the AV docks, S-Video "OUTPUT" on laptop is for TV out...not in. You would need a capture card and software to accomplish what your are asking....I use Pinnicle Studio for capture and PVR.

Jason

nippjas said:
You would need a capture card and software to accomplish what your are asking....I use Pinnicle Studio for capture and PVR.
Or get a "set top" DVD Recorder box. One with a hard drive would give you basic editing functions (i.e. removing commercials, titles). Without the hard drive you would need to do the ole' "pause editing" (like you used to do with your VCR).

A year or so ago I studied the "computer edit/burn" -vs- "standalone box edit/burn" and decided on a standalone+hard drive solution (in my case, the Panasonic DMR-E80HS) because the ease and time required to do DVD burns was my most important issue, the "set top" box has done the job nicely. I found doing computer edits taking longer, but you have more "features" available with the typical editing software.

Using my Panasonic DVD recorder I can take a one-hour show (that has been previously recorded from my DVR), edit the commercials out in about 3-5 minutes worth of work, and that includes being able to go frame-by-frame to set the edit point exactly where I want it.

six recievers

Am I wrong in thinking this?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)