Comcast DVR vs. Dish DVR (functional differences)

Correct me if I am wrong, but NO you can not rewind a program that is on when you come home if your receiver is in sleep/standby mode. If you run to the store (leaving your receiver on and your TV off), and come back and turn your tv on and wanna rewind the program you can, however you can only do it up to 1 hr for HD-Dvr's or 2hr's for SD-DVR IIRC. Dish receivers only buffer whats on when the receiver is on, ie: the lights on the front are lit up.

... So if you discovered you were 10 minutes after the start of the local news and stopped the playback of a recording, you could just back up 10 minutes and watch the news from the start. MUCH better.
(firmware upgrade for the 722K, Hummmm . . . .)
RT.
Was your MUCH better DVR able to simultaneously record four offerings while playing back two previously recorded events? No need for a firmware "upgrade" on my 722k.

Was your MUCH better DVR able to simultaneously record four offerings while playing back two previously recorded events? No need for a firmware "upgrade" on my 722k.

Not to throw a wrench in your statement, but the "4 recordings" are 2 local channels and 2 channels of any variety at the same time, it is not 4 channels regardless of local or non-local channels as 2 of the recordings are OTA ONLY.

Not to throw a wrench in your statement, but the "4 recordings" are 2 local channels and 2 channels of any variety at the same time, it is not 4 channels regardless of local or non-local channels as 2 of the recordings are OTA ONLY.
he didn't specify OTA or Sat ... when you break it down.. its still 4 channels at once.. (2 ota / 2 sat) and still playing back two recorded events.. :)

Of course. Do you not think everyone reading this thread does not know that? Do you think the other DVR can do that?

For crying out loud, they are different DVRs.

I suspect that a good feature that is unique to the specific DVR can be found for every DVR. At the end of the day, the features of a 722k as a package are pretty awesome, and many have concluded that it is one of the best DVRs out there. Is there room for improvement? Surely. Could the execution be better in some areas? surely.

Of course. Do you not think everyone reading this thread does not know that? Do you think the other DVR can do that?

For crying out loud, they are different DVRs.

I suspect that a good feature that is unique to the specific DVR can be found for every DVR. At the end of the day, the features of a 722k as a package are pretty awesome, and many have concluded that it is one of the best DVRs out there. Is there room for improvement? Surely. Could the execution be better in some areas? surely.

The OP is looking at switching from comsuck to Dish, I doubt he knows automatically the difference in what types of channels can be recorded and cant with the 4 tuner setup on the 722k. So no I do not think that everyone reading this thread knows that kind of info, if they did they would not be asking the differences between Comsuck DVR's and Dish DVR's. Also not every new customer gets a 722k installed with their service, so the OP may not get the 4 tuner feature if they do not get a 722k.

The OP is looking at switching from comsuck to Dish, I doubt he knows automatically the difference in what types of channels can be recorded and cant with the 4 tuner setup on the 722k. So no I do not think that everyone reading this thread knows that kind of info, if they did they would not be asking the differences between Comsuck DVR's and Dish DVR's. Also not every new customer gets a 722k installed with their service, so the OP may not get the 4 tuner feature if they do not get a 722k.
Oh for chrissake. The 722 compared to the 722K was discussed above. (Also, looking at the OP's posts I believe he is no longer reading here. Not positive, but he framed his question both here and in a DircTV forum and said he was moving and would make a decision.)

The poster to which I was responding has a 722k and was comparing it to his old cable DVR - he concluded as far as the feature he was comparing that the cable box was "MUCH better." I pointed out that there are two different boxes and , of course, each has some features the other doesn't.

I'd still like to hear your answer to my question as to whether the other (cable) DVR can do the four simultaneous recordings or anything even close. lol

BTW Welcome to the forum.

Last edited:

Did Dish send me a bug?

Is one of my 722k's about to fail?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)