Coax

Status
Please reply by conversation.

RPB

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 3, 2012
Burnet County, TX
I have a MicroHD and the 6' C/KU dish etc system to be delivered Monday.
Looking at Dishpointer and my yard etc, looks like I'll be installing it in the back yard

My question is about Coax for the C/KU dish to the MicroHD
I have spare 9913 and LMS-400 and spare RG11.
I used RG11 for my OTA antennas/mast part of preamp to inside the house part of preamp, where I switch to RG6QS or RG6 inside the house.
I think I have leftover LMS-400 and/or 9913 (forgot which, or maybe some of each) and RG11 to spare out in my shed.
Can I use LMR-400 or 9913 for my satellite dish to the MicroHD?Then switch to RG6QS/RG6 indoors?

Wouldn't the LMS-400 or 9913 be best, followed by RG11 then RG6 QS then RG6 for the longer run outdoors?

(I'm kind of a "I paid a lot to get an antenna with a lot of gain, why lose it in the coax" type of guy; so I watch OTA stations 100-200 miles away on a regular basis. So, thinking the same with Satellite frequencies, less loss = bo 40 foot dish needed, if I can scrape by a while with a 30 footer <grin> :D )

So, looking for recommendation, been ages since I wired up wifi/scanners/ other antennas where I used to live and forgot which wire is better for what at what frequencies, and my library is boxed up in the shed somewhere from my move.

This will be my first dish hook up ever, I read about it and wanted to do it since in the 1970s/1980s and remember reading "not to look at the end of the cable" back when we thought you need extra protection/ lead X-ray protection vests when microwaving a TV dinner. :eek: I have no hardline LOL:cry:

Last edited:
Connectors to change cable types will probably cause more loss than 100 feet of RG6 QS... The equipment designed for Satellite TV IS built to match RG6 -- or MAYBE RG11, but again connectors and adapters (you will need pigtails) probably would cause more loss. We do not transmit, so extremely low rf current. You might try a modelling program, and maybe Anole has already done the math, but from my experience loss when changing sizes is excessive.

Just did an experiment with 6m Ham --- 4 feet of RG58 47 feet of RG8U and then to the beam, replacing 75 feet of RG58. Net loss from S7 to S5 on the other end. Went back and regained to S7. Only 60 miles or so... Good silver connectors. Did not try with the 4 foot whip on the 75 feet of RG58, but had been using it between the txcr and the antenna tuner before going to the beam.

"Your mileage will vary."

Re-read your post - Usually, preamps, inline amps, will cause quality loss on signal, not gain.

LMR 400 is 50 ohm I believe.

I would just use rg6 (75 ohm) no need for rg11 for a short run. Save the cable for something that will benefit from the better cable.

Your not going to get more channels because of the cable. Just peak your dish.

LMR-400 and 9913 are 50ohm impedence and will result in a mismatch if used with either OTA terrestrial or DVB satellite gear. RG11 and RG6 are the correct 75ohm impedance.

The LNBF amplifications are very high and RG6 will work fine up to several hundred feet with minimal losses. Use the RG11 cable for runs over 250' or only up to the ground block then switch to RG6 when entering the home. Consider running multiple cables as you are likely to add a 90 or 1.2m motorized dish for dedicated KU-band reception.

Since you are concerned about the amount of signal reaching the receiver, you should instead be considering a dish that will collect more and cleaner signals. The 6' dish is barely adequate for C-band reception and is not 2 degree compliant. It will be much more of a factor for not receiving channels than any loss in the coax cable. A larger well designed 8 or 10 foot dish is typically 2 degree compliant and will also be able to lock onto weaker and high FEC channels that the 6 footer will struggle or not be capable of receiving.

The LNB selection will also be a major factor for receiving weak satellite signals. If you want the best quality, don't even consider a combined C/KU LNBF. If you want the LNBF option, select a C-band only LNBF or better to install a feedhorn/scalar with separate horizontal/vertical quality LNBs.

What is the cable run length from the receiver to the dish location?

Last edited:
I use RG-11 on anything over 50 feet, but then again I can get reminant spools for free.

At 1000 mhz, Rg11 loss is 3.95 and RG6 is 6.55 per 100ft.

Cant beat free low loss cable, even if its overkill.

markbone100 said:
I use RG-11 on anything over 50 feet, but then again I can get reminant spools for free.

At 1000 mhz, Rg11 loss is 3.95 and RG6 is 6.55 per 100ft.

Cant beat free low loss cable, even if its overkill.

Yup thats awesome.

What kind of ends do you use?

I forgot about the impedance mismatch of the 9913 ... thanks; I had that for wireless bridges or I forget what now ... I have lots of radios/Wi-fi boxes etc etc I forgot what goes to what.

Cable run length from the receiver to the dish location is about 100 feet going back yard, over the roof or through attic, and in the front of the house to the MicroHD, then HDMI cable to the TV

I have extra 50 and 100 foot RG11 cables (Belden 1523A Single RG-11 Coax) all made up F-connectors on both ends already as that's what I used on OTA antennas, so that's easier than buying RG6 or RG6QS ( I used to have a roll of QS, guess I lost it)
So, that would be ok?

So, my only connections will be to the dish on one end and the MicroHD on the other, and no adapters etc, then HDMI to the TV.
LOL I'll be sitting by the front door until my delivery comes tomorrow

Last edited:
RPB said:
So, my only connections will be to the dish on one end and the MicroHD on the other, and no adapters etc, then HDMI to the TV.

Yup (power of course to the MHD)

When u get it all setup u will be like darn that was easy. :)

Last edited:
The microHD weighs as much as a few feet of RG11 and a fitting. The challenge will likely be to keep the weight and rigidity of the RG11 from pulling the microHD off of the shelf!

The microHD weighs as much as a few feet of RG11 and a fitting. The challenge will likely be to keep the weight and rigidity of the RG11 from pulling the microHD off of the shelf!
Understood; same issue I had before-> I have RG11 for my two OTA antennas which went to the light weight Digital to analog converter boxes (and my old tube TVs) before I got an HD-LED TV. Not a big problem, I can set an 80 pound UPS/battery backup on the coax, and if that isn't heavy enough ... I got duct tape :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

VOOM DSR-550 Receivers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)