Clock Jump

new_to_hdtv

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 11, 2004
not far enough North
Last night while viewing the Programming Guide on my 811 i noticed that *E's clock was lagging my VCR clock by about 8 minutes, then suddenly it jumped ahead the 8 minutes.
What the What? :what

Beam me up Scotty.......... no compelling content here!

KyDave said:
Were you on an OTA channel at the time? Others have reported the same thing here.

This may or may not be a fault of the 811. If the 811 is acquiring time from the OTA channel (part of the PSIP data), then it is incumbent upon the station to provide the correct time. Seems odd that the 811 would suddenly "forget" how to tell time just because it is tuning OTA channels.

AcuraCL said:
Seems odd that the 811 would suddenly "forget" how to tell time just because it is tuning OTA channels.
It might be odd but that is exactly what the 811 does, if tuned to an OTA channel it starts losing time.

n0qcu said:
It might be odd but that is exactly what the 811 does, if tuned to an OTA channel it starts losing time.

I see. So you know that it is NOT using the time broadcast by the local station in the PSIP data?

I have the clock problem as well. My scenario is that I have finished watching an OTA channel, and then shut things off to go to bed. When I turn it on the next day, I notice in the program guide that the clock is slow by many minutes (typically around 6). As soon as I tune to a sat channel the clock immediately updates.

My quiestion is whether this a program guide issue or an internal clock issue? I haven't run the extra test of setting a VCR timer and checking to see if it is off by the same amount of minutes the next day.

It seems pretty unlikely to me that the clock would really lose that much time in between tuning of satellite channels, as digital clocks are so accurate these days (even the cheapies). But me being a DN newbie, and reading some of the other posts here and on DBSTalk, maybe I shouldn't be so surprised :)

Gary

genglish said:
I have the clock problem as well. My scenario is that I have finished watching an OTA channel, and then shut things off to go to bed. When I turn it on the next day, I notice in the program guide that the clock is slow by many minutes (typically around 6). As soon as I tune to a sat channel the clock immediately updates.

My quiestion is whether this a program guide issue or an internal clock issue? I haven't run the extra test of setting a VCR timer and checking to see if it is off by the same amount of minutes the next day.

It seems pretty unlikely to me that the clock would really lose that much time in between tuning of satellite channels, as digital clocks are so accurate these days (even the cheapies). But me being a DN newbie, and reading some of the other posts here and on DBSTalk, maybe I shouldn't be so surprised :)

Gary

Internal clock issue i would say. The clocks inside the DN receivers update via SAT (I would assume every 5 minutes or so to keep time) Ide say the internal clock that tries to keep time isnt programmed right or the "Clock Frequency" is off. I cant say anything for sure but I do know it updates via sat. Therefore when you are on an OTA channel it cant update. You are also not getting nightly updates (Guide) if you dont leave it on a sat channel when you shut it off.

AcuraCL said:
I see. So you know that it is NOT using the time broadcast by the local station in the PSIP data?
Yes, this will occur even if you set the 811 to one of the back panel inputs. Elsewhere there was a post from Dish about shutting off the satellite receiver when using the OTA portion of the 811 and how this leads to the "Acquiring Signal" delay when you pull up the EPG after the data gets stale.

Now, as to why Dish can't count 60 sine waves a second from the power supply or have a crystal-controlled clock like a $1.95 SpongeBob wrist watch (which, in case the point is lost, keeps better time than my $149 Dish 811), I have never been able to answer.

AcuraCL said:
Unless all 18 OTA channels that I receive are broadcasting slower time, then it is the 811. If it were due to incorrect time from different stations, then the time would change for each station, wouldn't it? But, that's not what happens. The 811 loses time while tuned to any and all OTA.

Another in a series of the finest available bugs, from the bug experts at Dish.

will dish carry espn 2 hd in jan. 2005

need program codes for a go video dvp850

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)