Circular C-Band reception

mr3p

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 1, 2010
West
Its been a few years since I checked out the limits of my LOS so this time I thought I'd see if I can receive any circular C-band signals which is something I've never tried. Not sure if there is anything ITC but targets this weekend will be 47.5W and 53W so the big unknown is if I'll get signal lock using dialectric plate. I was also reading about a Waveguide Polariser as alternative which didn't result in same signal loss? Anyone try one of these?

Its been a few years since I checked out the limits of my LOS so this time I thought I'd see if I can receive any circular C-band signals which is something I've never tried. Not sure if there is anything ITC but targets this weekend will be 47.5W and 53W so the big unknown is if I'll get signal lock using dialectric plate. I was also reading about a Waveguide Polariser as alternative which didn't result in same signal loss? Anyone try one of these?

I get France 24 news mux on 47.5w just fine using only a 6 ft solid dish so that one should not be an issue for you. The footprint shows decent coverage across the continental US.

Good luck! :)

I get France 24 news mux on 47.5w just fine using only a 6 ft solid dish...[/URL]
Three years ago, when using a 4-foot dish from eastern Canada, I received this transponder too by using a dielectric plate in my LNBF though at that time I was receiving CNN Brazil that was ITC on it. Similarly, I received the Sersat mux too.

40.5W SES6 was also a good circular tp satellite at that time if you can receive that far east. I received six transponders from that one. Though many of those specific tps are gone, I see from Lyngsat there are many other tps still active.

40.5W SES6

Reactions: FTA4PA
47.5W is quite easy, 40.5W is a bit uneven, some easy TPs and some really hard to get. 34.5W is not easy but low FEC makes it doable, but nothing ITC there other than a test card. 27.5W no longer has video, 22W has a bunch of Brazilian channels, quite easy if not too low. 14W a bit similar to 22W, was able to get most channels on a 6 footer

I would love to be able to find a circular feed that does not rely on a dielectric slab.

Reactions: FTA4PA and cyberham
Thanks for the good info. Anyone try using one of these: C Band Dual Polarity Circular Polarisation Kit or Extension Tube For Circular C Band Lnbf

Regarding dielectric plate insertion, it looks like there are grooves inside waveguide to hold it in place so is there a correct orientation? Any settings required in receiver?
Well, depends on the receiver. The dielectric plate basicaly converts circular to linear, and which one becomes H and which one become V will depend on which way you put the dielectric plate. I try one way, see what happens and correct if necessary. Now, most receivers don't have anything other that V and H labels anyway, so it does not really matter. However with more sophistiicated boxes like the enigma2 receivers, you usually have the choice of using circular labels for the polarization. It's just a label of course, technicaly it just changes the LNBF voltage. But in that case, might as well make it match the reality and the dielectric slab orientation matters. I hope that was clear (sorry it's a bit convoluted)

about the links you posted... very interesting stuff. I wonder if anyone would have specs and if we could just fabricate one. The one sold in Brazil is very inexpensive ($14.50!), but not sure if they ship to the US. Would be worth trying, for sure

Last edited:

Testing the new Titanium C138 Performance Plus C Band LNBF