Status
Please reply by conversation.

fred555

Pub Member
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 18, 2014
77W
I need to order some spare Chieta diseqc switches. Are there fakes out there?
The reason I ask is, here are the ones I have now:
ch1.jpg
The vendor I bought mine from is sold out. There is another vendor that sells these:
ch2.jpg
Were there different styles?

Which one is real? The second one does not look right.
The first one came in packaging like this:

ch3.jpg

How do you spot a fake?

They both look like Chieta switches. The larger one is their lower loss version. Seesat made a similar switch in both the small and larger lower loss versions. I have used the larger versions of both the Chieta and Seesat switches and have not noticed any difference in them. I have not used the smaller versions of them. (have only used them in simple switching uses and not in complex cases with motors)

Reactions: fred555
They both look like Chieta switches. The larger one is their lower loss version. Seesat made a similar switch in both the small and larger lower loss versions. I have used the larger versions of both the Chieta and Seesat switches and have not noticed any difference in them. I have not used the smaller versions of them. (have only used them in simple switching uses and not in complex cases with motors)

The lower loss version being 1.5 db as the first picture is labeled?
I just also noticed the second one is 3db insertion loss.
I did not know they made two versions, Thanks.

thank you very much for pointing that out Larry1 :) i'll bet maybe 1% of current fta people realized that (I certainly didn't). that 1.5db of extra loss for nothing could make for a non-watchable program.

I used to think Chieta switches were the absolute best, until the last time I ordered some. They came in packaging like that shown in post #3, but in this day of color laser printers it would be pretty easy for a counterfeit maker to duplicate the original packaging rather closely. The ones I got had weird problems; on one port #4 was dead and on a couple of the others I was having weird issues with interference in the signals, which I can't say with 100% certainty was attributable to the switches but we had a lot less trouble after I switched to some Davey GDSW41's. Since I got the Chieta's from a seller on eBay they may in fact have been fakes, and then again it's possible that the interference issues subsiding about the time I changed the switches was coincidence, but still at this point I would not spend the extra money on Chieta switches unless I could get them from a reputable dealer that offered a warranty.

Those switches were just one of the purchases made for the satellite backend project that were later regretted. But I am not saying that all Chieta switches are bad, in fact I used my original one for several years without any problems whatsoever, which is the main reason I thought staying with that brand would be a good idea.

Ever consider getting the Amiko switches from fridgeFTA? I'm happy with what I've gotten from them.

Ever consider getting the Amiko switches from fridgeFTA? I'm happy with what I've gotten from them.

Thanks for the suggestion, I think I am going to order a few.

EDIT: Just ordered two.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Automatic Volume Control

Newbie, Polish Dish for Dad

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)