Cheapest Setup for 2 HD TV's (Want HD and DVR on Both)

mvemjsuntp

Original poster
Dec 24, 2010
USA
I have two HD TV's and I want both to have HD service, and I also want both to have DVR functionality. The Dish lady on the phone said I could if I got the duo receiver they offer and then bought own "hemi" (not hdmi) cable.

It sounded shady, especially because when I first told her I wanted both TV's to have HD and DVR, she suggested that I'd have to get 2 receivers.

It seemed like with the duo receiver, I can get either:

1. 1 TV gets HD, 1 TV gets SD, but both get DVR, or
2. Both get HD, but only one gets DVR

That's how she explained it.

When I told her that was too expensive she said I could just get one duo receiver and then use a hemi cable because I already have "HD access free."

I'm an electrical engineer so I am pretty tech-savvy and even though I'm not an expert with these types of setups, I feel as though they explain things in waaaay too complicated a manner that most people can't easily understand.

So I'm hoping someone here can explain this to me and tell me if I can do this: I want to get America's Top 120, with two HD TV's, both to have HD and DVR. Can I do this with their current duo receiver for $24.99??

Hey there! I'm Becki Barned with Dish Network customer service. The set up that you want is easy. To get HD on two tv's, you would need a receiver in each room. If you got a dual reciever, the second tv wouldn't show in HD. For the additonal receiver, you will have a $10 a month receiver fee.

I have two HD TV's and I want both to have HD service, and I also want both to have DVR functionality. The Dish lady on the phone said I could if I got the duo receiver they offer and then bought own "hemi" (not hdmi) cable.

It sounded shady, especially because when I first told her I wanted both TV's to have HD and DVR, she suggested that I'd have to get 2 receivers.

It seemed like with the duo receiver, I can get either:

1. 1 TV gets HD, 1 TV gets SD, but both get DVR, or
2. Both get HD, but only one gets DVR

That's how she explained it.

When I told her that was too expensive she said I could just get one duo receiver and then use a hemi cable because I already have "HD access free."

I'm an electrical engineer so I am pretty tech-savvy and even though I'm not an expert with these types of setups, I feel as though they explain things in waaaay too complicated a manner that most people can't easily understand.

So I'm hoping someone here can explain this to me and tell me if I can do this: I want to get America's Top 120, with two HD TV's, both to have HD and DVR. Can I do this with their current duo receiver for $24.99??

3 ways to go here.
1. 2 HDDVR's such as 2 VIP 612's or 722K's.
2. 722K w/ a sling adapter or
3. 2 211k receivers then add ext HDD (1 small 1 time activation fee) to make them DVR's (not month DVR fee at present w/ the last option).

Last edited:
The third option is the cheapest in my opinion. Certainley not the best though. You can record OTA but you can only record ONE show off the sat because it is only a single tunner. Get two 722s. Should be bout 50 bucks an month after one time upgrade fees

Note to OP... You didn't mention if you care whether the HD on TV1 is the same program as the HD on TV2. If you don't care, then a 722 is a good option since you can feed one HDTV with the component outputs, and the other with HDMI. You can still watch separate programs if TV2's inputs are changed to the receiver's SD TV2 outputs.

All options above in watchel1's post will cost more than the $25/mo promotional price.

TheKrell - your option seems intriguing. I don't need both TV's to be watching the same HD show at the same time.

Could I then get both TV's to have HD and DVR functionality with the $25/month price?

I understand the three options in wachtel1's post, but as you noted, they would cost more than the $25/month.

And thanks for all the replies, this is very helpful!!

TheKrell (or anyone else), please let me know if I can get both TV's to have HD and DVR functionality with the $25/month price if I don't need to be watching the SAME program at the same time on both TV's in HD.

If you need independent outputs for each TV, you will want to go with the 2 DVR option. Personally, I would try to put a 722K at each TV. It is a great receiver and offers flexibility if you decide to add the OTA module to it. At the very least, I would do a 722K for the main TV and a 612 for the secondary set. This is slightly cheaper per month than two 722K's would be.

TheKrell - your option seems intriguing. I don't need both TV's to be watching the same HD show at the same time.

Could I then get both TV's to have HD and DVR functionality with the $25/month price?

I understand the three options in wachtel1's post, but as you noted, they would cost more than the $25/month.

TheKrell (or anyone else), please let me know if I can get both TV's to have HD and DVR functionality with the $25/month price if I don't need to be watching the SAME program at the same time on both TV's in HD.

No matter what if you want HD and DVR on both TV's and you want them to have seperate views. Then you have to have 2 seperate receivers. No matter what with the DVR fee you are not going to hit the $25 a month price.

I would go with a 722 and a 211 with an external hard drive.

No matter what if you want HD and DVR on both TV's and you want them to have seperate views. Then you have to have 2 seperate receivers. No matter what with the DVR fee you are not going to hit the $25 a month price.

I would go with a 722 and a 211 with an external hard drive.
You can't move the ext HDD between the 722 & 211 though. You can tween 2 211's or any 2 of the other VIP's (722k, 722,& 622).

I run HDMI to my living room where the 722 is and to my bedroom using a powered splitter. The TV2 remote works with the bedroom TV to control the DVR (will depend on your proximity to the DVR - I'm about 25-30 ft away on the same level). Been doing this for 2 1/2 years and works perfectly. I also have the coax for the home distribution output running to the bedroom for times when I have company and need to use the dual setting on the DVR. On my 32" LCD in the bedroom the SD really isn't that bad if I do have to use it.

Why is ESPN pic cut off?

Few questions before ordering.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)