Cheap Sat finder and Invacom SNH-031

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Vadimrok

Original poster
Nov 30, 2005
Hello!

This is my first post so please be gentle.

I have been trying for days to locate Telstar 5.
My setup is Winegard DS2076, Invacom SNH-031, Twinhan 102G PCI card and MyTheatre software.
My zip is 07401 and my azimuth and elevation for T5 are 212 and 37 respectively. My magnetic deviation is 12-13 degrees. The base post of the dish is perfectly plumb in both orthogonal planes (I used a magnetic post level). I also use a cheap sat finder that never goes off so I have not even tried to scan the transponders yet. I have read somewhere that it would not work with a universal lnb. Please confirm if there is some truth to that or it is just a rumour. I do find Echostar 3 with my other 18" dish with this finder so I know it is operational.

Also my version of the Winegard dish has a little red edge on the elevation scale. Please tell me if it is accurate or I have to compensate for an error.

Last question: if I position my Winegard dish with Invacom LNB onto Echostar 3, should the sat finder work or it should not due do a different required LNB polarity.

Your response is greatly appreciated.

Moved to the PC DVB area..

What channels are you hoping to get on EchoStar 3 (61.5)?

sat finders work with any lnb. so it doesn't matter circular, linear, universal etc...On the twinhan soft, mytheater, progdvb etc.. make sure your lnb is set to 10600. For mytheater you put 10600000. just add three zeros.

Make sure when hooking up the sat finder that the power is off for the receiver, in this case the dvb card. then power up when it is connected. Thats great that your post is plumb, good start there. Don't worry about the red marking or other, just set elevation and point. Echo 3 has not much FTA on it, just dish stuff that you need a subscription. could be a good place though to see if your finder is working. T5 is approx 26 degrees west of that. try for a strong transponder when you think you have a lock. You must be on the east coast or something with a 212 deg to T5. make sure tout point it to the true position, so 212 - declination and bingo. It helps to have a good compass.

Hopefuly a few more members can log on and answer any more questions you may have.

Welcome to Satelliteguys.

PSB said:
Moved to the PC DVB area..

What channels are you hoping to get on EchoStar 3 (61.5)?

Free dish 'Info' channel to test my software and card. I am kind of surrounded by trees so this is a satellite which is in the clear view. Now I know that I can get a Dish subscription to watch international channels.

Welcome to SatelliteGuys.US :welcome

Yes you can trust the red elevation mark on the Winegard 30" dish!

sharris said:
sat finders work with any lnb. so it doesn't matter circular, linear, universal etc...On the twinhan soft, mytheater, progdvb etc.. make sure your lnb is set to 10600. For mytheater you put 10600000. just add three zeros.

Make sure when hooking up the sat finder that the power is off for the receiver, in this case the dvb card. then power up when it is connected. Thats great that your post is plumb, good start there. Don't worry about the red marking or other, just set elevation and point. Echo 3 has not much FTA on it, just dish stuff that you need a subscription. could be a good place though to see if your finder is working. T5 is approx 26 degrees west of that. try for a strong transponder when you think you have a lock. You must be on the east coast or something with a 212 deg to T5. make sure tout point it to the true position, so 212 - declination and bingo. It helps to have a good compass.

Hopefuly a few more members can log on and answer any more questions you may have.

Welcome to Satelliteguys.

Thanks!

Actually I believe that in my case (NJ) the deviation has to be added, so 212 + 12 = 224 on the compass scale

PSB said:
Welcome to SatelliteGuys.US :welcome

Yes you can trust the red elevation mark on the Winegard 30" dish!

Thanks, that's a relief. One less thing to worry about!

From lots of experience, I have a few quick words of advice. First, MyTheatre is possibly the worst software to be using for finding a satellite. Unless you have quality, it shows nothing; not even signal strength. This might not matter to you when you're outside using a signal meter, but ProgDVB might be a better helper :) Also, I tend to do the old bring-a-little-tv-out-to-the-dish trick to save from running in the house everytime my SF-95 signal meter thinks I'm pointing at something ;) It really does save time if you have a general idea on what elevation/direction should be, but are having trouble getting just the right spot.

... lastly, if you need any more help, just msg me or say the word here; everyone's great on both response time and excellent advice :D

Thanks!

I might try progdvb

Actually it seemes to me that my cheap sat finder has a problem with Invacom universal lnb. This is what I get from one of the British sites:

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
This meter has a built-in 22kHz tone generator which you can switch on or off to select "high band" with a "Universal" LNB. If you do not have a "Universal LNB" then there is no need to buy the "d" version of the meter. (All Sky "minidishes" use a "universal" LNB).

The analogue version does not have a built-in 22kHz tone generator and is, therefore, cheaper. The analogue meter H28-8235a can still be used to align your dish but it can only "see" the signals on "low band" with a Universal LNB. (It will pass the 22kHz signal from a suitable receiver so the receiver can be used to select 'high band' through the meter).
////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Since my meter is only analog and Telstar 5 has nothing on "low band" I will probably need to get a cheap standard LNB, use my sat finder to find T5 and than swap the lnb for Invacom.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Need help setting up a customer on Galaxy 10R

Thanksgiving Free shipping from FTAdirect

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)