Channel Numbering?

RT-Cat

"My person-well trained"
Original poster
May 30, 2011
Cold, Cold,Michigan USA
Well, this one has me confused. Press: Menu, 6 – System Setup, 9 – Local Channels. The words that appear on screen are:
Local Channels
Select “scan locals” to scan for digital local channels, “Add locals” to manually add channels, and “chan display” to choose channel numbering preference.
The only problem is, I cannot find ANY “chan display” to make changes to the channel numbering. Where did they hide it? Or was it pulled with the last update and they did not change the wording.

RT

What model receiver do you have? Were you getting the channels before or are you trying to add OTA locals now? The menu item you are speaking of is adding OTA channels to the receiver via an antenna. If you have any antenna connected to the receiver, you can scan for the channels and add them to the receiver channel lineup. Please let me know which you are trying to accomplish. I'll need to check further as far as the software update if that feature was removed for channel display.

Last edited:
Ray C at Dish,
I have a 722K. I just re-read what I wrote. Question is: Where is "Chan Display" button to choose channel numbering preference? I said nothing about having a problem with adding channels. I was just stating what is displayed on the screen when you get to that location. It is an information display on the screen. From what it states, you should be able to re-number the channels in your OTA listing. In other words: Being able to change 009-1 to maybe just 9, or 013-2 to just 13. I can read where you can change the name of a channel. Cannot find where to change the number.

RT

I believe it refers to Assending or Desending order.
Nope. Not helping. You can't change the order of the Channels top to bottom except in the Guide under preferences. The OP cited Menu 6 9... which does in fact contain an error, as he/she points out.

What was taken away with the last update was the option to display OTA only at 2-99, which is the way I had mine set for good reason. I am not the only one on this forum who misses this option. Why did the engineers take away this feature? Oh, well; I'll live.

I have my ota stations at their lower channel numbers ,just like I did before the last update on my 722k. I also have all my satellite versions at the lower channel numbers as well. I lock out any version of the channels in the higher 4 digit channel range. It clutters up my guide and causes problems.

What was taken away with the last update was the option to display OTA only at 2-99, which is the way I had mine set for good reason. I am not the only one on this forum who misses this option. Why did the engineers take away this feature? Oh, well; I'll live.
Well, that answers my question. I know I was not nuts in what I was reading on the screen for information on that page. They took it away but forgot to correct the "info." It is also in my manual on page 100.

RT.

Last edited:
Probably the same explanation for removing full-guide-no-video: "More customer friendly." I just hope that's the last of their GUI flubs (though there will always be bugs, since when they fix some things they tend to break other things.)

http://www.satelliteguys.us/257202-full-screen-program-guide-no-longer-10.html#post2564110
http://www.satelliteguys.us/attachment.php?attachmentid=66914&d=1308618721

I agree with you and feel that it was totally unnecessary to remove the OTA only at 2-99 as it required an ACTION and something that really only power users would invoke, but I have no doubt Dish may have had a few too many calls from confused customers. Like I said, I'll live, but it sure made it easy for me NOT to select the sat tuner when I wanted the OTA tuner.

Well, that answers my question. I know I was not nuts in what I was reading on the screen for information on that page. They took it away but forgot to correct the "info." It is also in my manual on page 100.

RT.

Yet another sad soul who misses this feature. We could start a club soon if we get a few more posts wondering "what happened" and "I liked that feature" a few in other threads. Now, I understand what you meant in your OP. Glad we could clear it up.

You have two options to accomplish what you want. Either lock out the Satellite locals, or don't include them in a favorites list. I can see why they got rid of that feature. Must have received hundreds of calls about it. Judging from the questions asked in the forums from new users, you can't expect they have anywhere near the ability to understand the features like readers/posters here.

You have two options to accomplish what you want. Either lock out the Satellite locals, or don't include them in a favorites list.
:confused:

Not at all what I was asking. Just wanted the "old" way of making 009-01 as 9-1 or 005-03 as 5-3. Don't know why that would confuse people. ???

RT.:)

You have two options to accomplish what you want. Either lock out the Satellite locals, or don't include them in a favorites list. I can see why they got rid of that feature. Must have received hundreds of calls about it. Judging from the questions asked in the forums from new users, you can't expect they have anywhere near the ability to understand the features like readers/posters here.

Having to key in a code every time I want to delete a recording really is a PITA! I even had to remove locks on my aunt's TV because she was just hated having to key in even the most simple code to delete her recordings. I mean, she really was PO's about it.

I have used Locked Channels feature for YEARS. Locks (even just locking the channels) would be better enhanced if it were NOT to require a code when deleting a recording, but offer that as an extended feature for locks. Then I would very happy to use the locks again (no longer use locks since SD equivalents NO longer displayed--but still having my timers set multiple, repeat events to record at the 4 digit HD channels--a new PAIN) for eliminating any unwanted channels on my guide. The problem is that just about all my family NEVER use the Favorites. They just don't take to them for some reason. These are not the tech savvy folks on this forum. They truly represent the most common Dish subscriber. They love Dish, but insist on, or just find it plain easier, to stay with ALL CHANNELS or MY CHANNELS. They just get confused and they can't figure out quite what to do if they are in a Favorites list. Then after that experience, NEVER even set-up favorites so they can just stay on ALL or MY. I use my Favorites, but one just can't get the regular folk to follow. I won't get into other features that confuse them or they or unaware.

HD only packs still availible?

Tivo is now seen as a takeover target