Canadians, what's the minimum I need?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Remington

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 1, 2005
Gatineau, Qc.
I know many use 36'' dish. But it seems to be the minimum no? I'd like to have some opinions from Canadians, I live in the Ottawa area. (lat 45.4)
The prices go up fast bigger than 36" too.

I just saw a GeoSatPro 90cm + Invacom SNH-031 at a good price I think... anyone knows if its a good dish?

Also, dish motors : they all look the same for me 1- DM910 2- SG2100
3- Stab HH90 There's one more reliable, universal, etc. ?

Thanks for your help.

Remington,
Although I'm not in the home of hockey :)
a 36" should work great in Ottawa to get everything. a 30" is the minimum and will work, but those weaker transponders won't come in.

I (now!) recommend the QPH-031 LNB.. I have the SG-2100
rotor (motor) and a 32" winegard (I think)

I am in Calgary, I have a 30" Winegard, everything else is fine, but tp1 on G10R is too weak for my setup.

Yes a 30"should work I am above the 45th in Michigan and so are some others in Minnesota and Wisconsin and I use a 30'" and with it fine tuned I can get all of the transponders on G10R and have even gotten the NBC on AMC4 but not lately.

I need to bring the spectrum analyzer home from work and fine tune it for the AMC4 feed to get it again. I think...
Wholeshoe

Remington
45th parallel here (MN) and using a 30" just fine. Get most everything (except for the NBC on AMC4)

44.44 parallel here, with a 76 cm winegard and a .5 lnb i can get all the channels on g10, tho a couple of the transponders BARELY lock. I would go for at least a 30" dish, preferably a 32" or larger, and a low noise LNB. While a 76cm (such as the winegard 76cm) dish will probably work, you will be happier with a larger dish.

Thanks all of you, I was wondering if the 36'' was enough, seems yes :)

Except for a small expressvu dish (on the wall) I never installed a dish on a roof (thats what I need here), Is it solid enough to put anywhere? Or I have to find some wood and use long screws ???

The bigger the dish the more it will flex in the wind, and may even end up in the next state. The only reason to put a KU dish on a roof is if there is problems with line of sight to the satellites. Wind "fade" can be as bad as rain fade, but like me I guess you have no choice but to install on a roof. Just make sure you hit a stud with at least 2 of the lag bolts in the middle of the mast foot, then 4 lag bolts in each corner.

ok thanks, I will make sure it's solid

yeah I have no choice here right now... and the roof is so high! :mad: But stubborn I am.

I was originally planning on putting mine on the roof (35'-40' up) but as was mentioned, the wind really would have been a problem. If you're planning on motorizing it make sure that you aren't going to have any interfeerence problems with the roof. It was definately going to be a problem for me going West. Add to that the idea of standing on the end of an extention ladder 40' up juggling a dish and tools and a pole in the ground starts looking like a real attractive option :).

I surveyed the yard and found that even shooting over the peak of my roof I was able to to track 61.5 to 148 without issue.

Once I actually got it up and tracking the arc I had good luck all the way to 58w. Any further East and I think I need to get the dish a bit higher up.

Good luck with the roof mount. I hope it works out good for you!

roof is usually a last option but if you have to do it that way (because of line of sight issues) two words

BE SAFE!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

36" X 38" Primestar problem

news feeds and reciever without bland search

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)