Can u use Direct dish for Dish Network?

bahuffma

Original poster
May 5, 2008
Hi all. Newbie here.
I am renting a cabin this weekend which has direct tv hooked up already. I was wondering if i could take my dish network reciever and hook up to the direct tv dish.

In the old days their tech was somewhat equal and they could be used for each other. But much as changed since then and I'm pretty sure that most of the modern receivers are not inter operable between the two services' dishes.

Would i be able to use the same cables if i also took along my dish network dish, and just unhooked the direct tv dish and hooked up mine.

thanx

do you think this would work??

I just remembered that my brother also has direct tv, and the programming package that has the channel we would like to watch this weekend. Do you think that he could just bring his receiver and hook it up to get the programming he is subscribed for.

I just remembered that my brother also has direct tv, and the programming package that has the channel we would like to watch this weekend. Do you think that he could just bring his receiver and hook it up to get the programming he is subscribed for.
That would make more sense. If it was my cabin you were renting I wouldn't be too happy about you removing my dish so you could watch DISH Network.:)

If it is a single LNB dish, then yes, you can use the DirecTV dish for Dish Network. I don't know what might happen with a multi-LNB dish but you could always give it a try. You will have to repoint it, and you will only pick up one satellite. I suggest pointing it at 119 for core programming.

It also has to be using old so called legacy LNB's. For years I used an old DirecTv dish to point to 61.5 and a dish 500 for the rest. Had it and the 500 LNB switched out so that I could use DPP switch with my DVR's.

what if my brother brings his direct tv receiver? would we have to reposition the dish, or simply just hook it up?

what if my brother brings his direct tv receiver? would we have to reposition the dish, or simply just hook it up?
99% chance it will work perfectly. Directv's sd programming basically comes off 101 so unless dish is damaged or missaligned it shoud work.:)

Dish Program Access Fee billing!!

VOOM channels GONE!!! (User Equipment Issue)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts