Cable FTA

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Dishman Dan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 22, 2008
N/A
I know that FTA pertains to unencrypted satellite channels, but what about the "in the clear" cable channels??? :confused:
I have cable for my internet service. When the installer put the cable to my house he told me that I could hook the coax to my TV and receive about 20 channels! :eek: These channel frequencies cannot be filtered out or I would not be able to get on the internet he explained. Enjoy! A couple of other service guys told me the same. The only time I tried it is when my internet went off and the service person on the phone told me to hook up a TV and presto... TV! (My modem was at fault for no internet!)
Is it legal to hook up and watch TV like this???
FTA satellite TV is basically "unfiltered" signals too?!?!?! Right???
The AZBox marries satellite and cable reception but what cable is available on the AZBox??? Is it these "in the clear" cable channels??? :confused:

:up Hopefully Santa is bringing me a AZBox!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!............. :D

You describe one of two things: Either what I've heard referenced as Clear-QAM, or the old NTSC analog style basic cable service. Either way, yeah, it's legal. Not widely publicized, but legal.

As it turns out, you might want to check in to adding the basic cable television service to your internet package. In my area, it's apparently cheaper to have both as a bundle than it is to subscribe to internet service alone.

FTA isn't, however, as you proposed, "unfiltered" signals. What you can receive with an FTA receiver are unencrypted signals. No filtering involved. Likewise, the cable company can encrypt those channels you discovered, but for whatever reason, has not decided to do so.

The cable guy says that in order to allow the internet to go through these channels cannot be filtered out due to being the same frequency. I am not too interested in the cable TV service overall due to the poor picture quality! My 4DTV, FTA and OTA picture blows the cable picture away! However there is a channel or 2 that looked good and interesting and I cannot get on satellite. I am also cutting back on my 4DTV sub due to money reasons and I can pick a couple up here. My brother has the fastest cable internet available in our area and the tech told him the same thing but my brother refused because he did not think it was legal either. Supposedly he would get a lot more channels due to the internet service being faster and that means less filtering. :)

Most of the channels are analog and there is a handful of digital including the locals. ;)

You are a subscriber and have a right to connect to their cable as part of your service plan. It would be theft of service if you were not a subscriber and hooked yourself up to catch the ITC channels.

That is wierd...

We have only cable internet and only receive about 3 channels when I hook the cable to a tv. The filter allows channels 2,3,4 and a grainy 5 and that is it. The bummer is that they removed the analog fm stations a while ago that I used to enjoy - now it is all digital.

Steve

Besides Internet service my cable company has 3 levels of service, Basic with around 30 channels and no set top box, a Digital and HD service with different set top boxes. I have 3 TVs hooked up to basic service by connecting directly to cable.

I have 2 TVs hooked to HD set top boxes, which I lease for $9 a month. Since all OTA has gone digital I am waiting for the cable company to block basic and lease you a set top box to receive it. I think you have basic cable if you want Internet service.

I also pay for one movie channel that I am going to drop soon. They use to show a lot of movies before they were released on DVD, but all they have now is mostly old movies and their own programming. The local supermarket now has a movie kiosk vending machine that you can get DVDs for a dollar. The bottom line is I pay a lot of money for my internet and cable TV service.

You're probably getting clear QAM channels. I assume they all log like a oddball digital channel like 88.123?

The azbox wont work with it as the card available for clear cable is DVB-C which is used in europe (not QAM)

My in-laws in Florida hooked up their CATV wire to the TV before subscribing and received roughly 8 Ft. Meyers local channels very clear.

I want to try attching our CATV wire to the TV someday just to see if anything gets picked up. I hooked up the OTA antenna the other night to the TV and received 5 analog TV stations. One even had a Dish Network like graphic showing the signal strength. I believe it was from a nearby house that has a DN digital to analog converter that is leaking the signal.

I know one guy that had RR service and connected a TV up to it also....he got a call from TW and told to disconnect it... some way they were able to detect the connection.

I just disconnected my modem and plugged the cable into my RF on the TV, Auto scanned and got about 70 channels analog. channels 1-40 were kinda fuzzy and channels 40-70 were okay picture quality.

You pay for cable modems, don't you?

Methinks FreeToAir pertains to Air. (as in some sort of antenna)
It also pertains to Free.

Enjoy your "Free" channels...:cool:

I know one guy that had RR service and connected a TV up to it also....he got a call from TW and told to disconnect it... some way they were able to detect the connection.

TW knows since cable modems run at lower frequencies then cable. So when they see a usage at sat 54MHZ (which is channel 2) than the cable modem (which I think is lower then that) they wonder

I'm of the opinion that if you don't alter any of their installation (i.e. remove filters or mess with stuff outside on the pole, etc.) anything that you get over the cable is o.k.
We had digital cable for a while and when we cancelled, the analog cable still worked for 6+ months. ;)

I agree spiff. When I had cable way back in the day I had two different things happen

-switched from cable to "lifeline" which was the 2-23 part...heck it gave me the locals, CNN, WGN & TBS...they never put a filter on (this is when they had these old filters they'd screw on the line) so for a year I had full cable (no digital back then) for like 10 bucks :)
-lived somewhere else and had a cable box (forget why)...anywho I ordered a PPV and wasnt billed (wrestling PPV...legit wanted it)....ended up ordering $500 in PPV's during the next year and the cable company never billed me. I knew it was $500 because one day I went to order and it said on the screen "you have exceeded the $500 limit the cable box can order via the remote. Please call to order". Them wrestling PPV's can add up quick.

neither one were my fault

I have Broadband through the cable company, Cell Phone..no landline, Direct TV, FTA and OTA for TV.

I thought about hooking up the cable to the TV, but then I would have to get a splitter for the TV and internet. I was not sure if would affect my internet service, so I never did it.

You're probably getting clear QAM channels. I assume they all log like a oddball digital channel like 88.123?

The azbox wont work with it as the card available for clear cable is DVB-C which is used in europe (not QAM)

There are between 25 and 30 channels that come in. The analog locals with the major nets are quite fuzzy but their digital brothers are beautiful. A couple of digital preview channels are also there and look great. There is also analog, the CW, MyTv, TBS, TCM, FOX news, local cable junk, History, Discovery, SyFy and a couple of sports channels that I did not figure out. :rolleyes:

As for the AZBox I have been reading some here and there and I had no idea what and if what cable it could possibly do. ;)
I better read more!

Last edited:
I thought about hooking up the cable to the TV, but then I would have to get a splitter for the TV and internet. I was not sure if would affect my internet service, so I never did it.

The installer placed a couple of connectors in the line so that a splitter or 2 could be put in quite easily! :)

Other than that he said to put a splitter just before the modem for the internet. ;)

Well I just took the 7" portable down cellar where the RR cable comes in and the splitter is still in the line from the previous owner who had cable. Scanned in several channels. The network digitals and a few others were clear, and there were lots of others that were very fuzzy. I don't think I'll hook it up though, the wife thinks we have too much TV now!

Back in 2008 when I had Dish Network, I also had Time Warner Digital Phone and Roadrunner..I noticed a stray cable on the back wall of our bedroom..I was already using RCA plugs to connect our DVR 622 to the TV, so the Coax Cable line was free..Hooked the cable in and got good pictures from analog channel 70 on, and Clear QAM (Including stations from Toledo, Youngstown and Steubenville, which are not Part of TWC's Northeast Ohio Cable systems) with locals and selected cable channels..Since then, Ive been back with TWC, and the QAM is very limited..Local channels only pretty much with an occasional Cable channel free preview..and local "bulletin boards"

Status
Please reply by conversation.

White Springs is missing again

FCC STB review

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts