BUD hunting...found a 14 footer.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

SATisfied

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 22, 2006
Lineboro, MD
I've been looking around for BUDs that are not in use, and I saw one about a mile or so from my house. I knew it wasn't being used because it was pointing NE and no elevation. I stopped and asked about it, and the owner was willing to let me look at it. It was a HUGE white ( or at least it used to be ) fiberglass dish. The owner said it was 14 ft. diameter originally installed in '82. I noticed that one of the ribs in the back that bolt to the mounting bracket was broken. It had four mounting bolts. I knew right away that the wife wouldn't go for this monster, and beside that, I had no idea how I would have moved it in my pickup to my house. I saw another dish almost identical to this one about 3 miles farther down the same road, also not being used. It looked like a lot of work to dismantle and cart away. I also think that a solid dish this size would become a sail in high winds, which probably explains how the rib was broken on the back.

Anyway, I think I'll keep looking for a smaller BUD. I've actually been seeing quite a few of 'em around. When I finally find one suitable I'll be on here with more questions about setup etc. Any input appreciated.

If You keep looking ,You will luck up on you one.
Try to get a 10' or 12' aluminum mesh dish with small holes (smaller than a pencil)
strap you on a corotor with C & Ku lnb. If no trees are in the way,
You will be ready to go.

SATisfied said:
I've been looking around for BUDs that are not in use, and I saw one about a mile or so from my house. I knew it wasn't being used because it was pointing NE and no elevation. I stopped and asked about it, and the owner was willing to let me look at it. It was a HUGE white ( or at least it used to be ) fiberglass dish. The owner said it was 14 ft. diameter originally installed in '82. I noticed that one of the ribs in the back that bolt to the mounting bracket was broken. It had four mounting bolts. I knew right away that the wife wouldn't go for this monster, and beside that, I had no idea how I would have moved it in my pickup to my house. I saw another dish almost identical to this one about 3 miles farther down the same road, also not being used. It looked like a lot of work to dismantle and cart away. I also think that a solid dish this size would become a sail in high winds, which probably explains how the rib was broken on the back.

Anyway, I think I'll keep looking for a smaller BUD. I've actually been seeing quite a few of 'em around. When I finally find one suitable I'll be on here with more questions about setup etc. Any input appreciated.

I have scrounged an 8' & two 10' dishes . They were metal & I took the 2 10' dishes appart in 4 pieces . The 8' , I hauled in one piece . Take the mount and motor off . All hauled in a pickup with a 6' long bed & head ache rack .

Wyr

Hauled a 10 footer in the back of a Dodge Dakota with no problems.Took it nice and slow after rush hour traffic had died down.Try to pick a good time like early on a sunday morning when traffic is light.

I read (elsewhere) that the old fiberglass dishes are not good for KU, as the mesh that is in them has holes that are too big.

Greg Mueller said:
I read (elsewhere) that the old fiberglass dishes are not good for KU, as the mesh that is in them has holes that are too big.

Also surface accuracy is important. In fact, it's just as important as the size of the mesh and whether or not the dish is warped. If one of the ribs is cracked it's possible the dish may be warped as well.

My advice would be to string the dish to check and see if it's warped. If it isn't I'd jump on the opportunity to get a 14 footer because dishes this size are hard to come by and with some networks switching to 8psk in the future you may wish you had a dish this size. As for Ku band you can always get a second smaller offset dish for Ku.

Greg Mueller said:

This one is a solid figerglass dish, not mesh. It was so big there is no way it would ride in my truck no matter which way I turned it. I don't think it'll go anywhere soon. It's been there a long time. If it turns out that I find a way to move it, I can always go back and make an offer, or better yet let the dish be my pay for dismantling and removing it. Sounds like a good trade to me. I don't think I would fool with the mast. It was like 4" pipe filled w/ concrete anchored into concrete footer. Too much work to bother with. I've been seeing quite a few of the BUDs around here. I got a lead on another one that is at least a ten footer that is mesh. It apparently blew off the mast and rolled into the guy's woods. It'll probably need repair. He said I could have it and the receiver that came with it. I haven't seen it yet. This is a pretty neat passtime. I like getting good stuff for free. Anyway, thanks for the feedback.

Stefan said:
Also surface accuracy is important. In fact, it's just as important as the size of the mesh and whether or not the dish is warped. If one of the ribs is cracked it's possible the dish may be warped as well.

My advice would be to string the dish to check and see if it's warped. If it isn't I'd jump on the opportunity to get a 14 footer because dishes this size are hard to come by and with some networks switching to 8psk in the future you may wish you had a dish this size. As for Ku band you can always get a second smaller offset dish for Ku.

I did think of that too when I saw that the rib on the back was broken. It could be warped. I looked all around it. I didn't see anything that looked obviously warped, but I didn't string it. I would definately do that before I took it. Still has the original lnb mounted with a tripod mount. I looked inside the lnb and saw the little L shaped polarity switch.

Greg Mueller said:
I believe there is a layer of mesh within the fiberglass that does the actual reflecting of the signal.

Thanks Greg for that little bit of info. That's what I love about this forum. I am constantly learning new things and everyone is very cordial.

While on my job yesterday servicing a customer's water equipment, I noticed he had a BUD in his back yard, and a pizza dish on his house. I asked if he was still using his big dish and he said yes, for wild feeds. I started telling him about FTA satellite and all the free channels available especially with the BUD's. He had no clue and began to ask more questions. I just told him to go to this site to the free to air forum, and he could pretty much get most of his questions answered. He was very appreciative and ended up giving me a nice tip when I left.

I didn't get his BUD but I was glad to let him know that he should not get rid of it.
Again, thanks for all the input everyone.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Any problems using a barrel connector with the FTA Dish?

What is everyone going to watch tonight?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)