BUD cable/hardware layout

Status
Please reply by conversation.

esteveW

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 10, 2008
Western WA
I set my 3" dia. post yesterday and the concrete should be cured enough by tomorrow afternoon, to set the dish on the post mount. My BUD has a Chaparral feed and single C-Band and Ku Band LNBs (w/polar servo).

The next step will be to run my cable to the two rooms where I want to have STBs. I currently have a ViewSat PVR-7000. Eventually I want to add a second STB, maybe something that can deal with the BUD motor and servo control directly. For now, I am waiting for the G-Box V4000. (I understand the V4000 is still several months out)

What I need now (while I'm awaiting the V4000) is some direction on how to run the coax cabling. I read/hear about DeSEqC switch, etc.. I'm still confused about how to combine and seperate the signal from these LNBs. Also can two different STBs be wired into the control of the rotor and polar servo. (Not to be used at the sametime, just to be able to have the control available in seperate rooms).

I'm still looking for a good deal on 175 ft of flat cable before I can start the cable install.

Any recommendations or links would be appreciated.

Steve

Run conduit in a trench from the dish to the house, preferably to a location near the electrical service entrance so you can bond your ground block. 1-1/4" or 1-1/2". Use sweeps at each end rather than sharp elbows. Put drip loops at both ends of the cable. A water resistant box on the pole is a nice thing to have. Pull at least one more run of good quality RG6 than you need now, some 4 or 6 conductor sprinkler wire for the dish mover, and something to use as a pull string so you can add more wires later without digging it up. Bring your cables from the dish(es) into a utility room or the basement first and then branch to the rooms you want to feed. This is extra effort now, but will save you a lot of labor in the future. Make "Home Runs" from each set back to the utility room, this will be your tie point.

Inside the house can be tricky, but a nice looking install can be done. If you don't have a fish tape, a fishing string and a sinker can be used to fish the walls, look in the basement to see where the electricians drilled for the house wiring and use their routing as a guide. For feeding a second floor, see if you can drop something down the cold air return. You can buy low voltage plaster rings cheap, pull phone and cat5 all at once then you are future proofed for a while.

now Cadsulfide hit the nail on the heard for outside an into home, but will try to touch into you're inside wiring.

Now as far as having more than 1 room hook up to a big dish is easy to set up an if you're setting you're home wiring for the 1st time would recommend that you use a good quality coax. now on moving a dish only 1 receiver location you can move that dish from.

here at my home have 3 c & ku-band satellites along with movable ku satellites an fixed ku satellites, up an running an some times more, an have a panel in the wall where all of my of my satellite runs from the dishes go to. an any TV location can look at any satellite that a dish is parked on c or ku.

with the C & Ku dishes all have Ortho feeds an they go into DTV 4X8 powered switchers with power inserters, with the exception of the main dish that the 4DTV runs c-band runs into a DTV 4X8 switch, but the Ku goes into a 2X4 switch, reason is so the 4DTV can look at the ku band, a 4DTV will not work the 22khz part of those switchers. an ortho feeds are the way to go when you want multable rooms hook up to c-band.

now on my Ku dishes they all go into panel an run into switchers also an even had to wire from diaqec motor back to pannel to keep all switches in that panel make it so easy to check for problems or also let any receiver look at any of you're satellites at any given time that you have hook up to you're disq-switch.

now the only problem using a DTV powered switch is if you are using universal lnb's for ku-band, you can not work them on the 22khz port, they need to be on the main port of those switches to work. or just put them on a 2X4 switch, which is the way I run them here cause ran out of 4X8 switches.

good luck on you"re wiring.

Got a BUD from a friend. My wife won't let me put it in the front yard, I can't understand why!! My question for the group is this. How far from the house can I mount the dish. I have uncluttered view of the south sky about 400' away. Can I make it work at this distance or do I need to look for another spot?

Got a BUD from a friend. My wife won't let me put it in the front yard, I can't understand why!! My question for the group is this. How far from the house can I mount the dish. I have uncluttered view of the south sky about 400' away. Can I make it work at this distance or do I need to look for another spot?

My 10' is out about 500+ ft from the house, C & ku. But I cannot remember if they put an amplifier on it at the dish, but I don't think so. I know there was never anything mounted in the house.

Been out of touch with this thread for a few days and want to say thank for the replies..

1capt., I have a few questions but I'm not sure of the terms, I see the following Terms used:

1) 4 in 1 DISEqC Switch (have one that came with my ViewSat box), Freq:900-2400MHz, Power Passing: 500mA, Insertion loss: 3dB, etc..

2) Seperator (have one that was left over from my DN installation) Freq: 950-2150 MHz, one port marked INPUT, two ports marked Sat.one input and Sat two input.

3) I see switches and splitters in Home Depot but I'm not sure what freq. I should get or if I should be looking elsewhere.

Also, my ViewSat PVR 7000 is dual tuner (or at least it has two antanna inputs and I would hope I can have two different dish inputs) will I be able to control both dishes H/V polarity, so I can record on one while watching the other. I'm thinking of my BUD LBNs is one C and one Ku band. This would be with the dish set on one Sat (or nearby)with both signals.

Have more questions but need to understand a bit more before I know what to ask.

Thanks, Steve

Status
Please reply by conversation.

58W

BUD Pipe in DFW

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)