BRAVO-HD opera translations?

1080iBeVuMin

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 29, 2004
Santa Rosa, CA
We were really looking forward to all the opera programming on BRAVO-HD in fabulous HD clarity and home theater audio, commercial free, etc., and thanks to VOOM we can get all of that. But we don't speak German, Italian, French, etc. We really need English subtitles/supertitles or English closed captioning to follow the dialog. Or if captions are there, I have not been able to figure out how to turn them on.

Does anybody here know if BRAVO-HD is transmitting captions? Is VOOM just unable to display them?

(I have emailed BRAVO and VOOM and have not received an answer.)

Thanks!

Reply from VOOM about captioning on HD channels...

Thank you for contacting VOOM, home of the HD evolution! I certainly apologize for any inconvenience this problem has caused you but at this time subtext or closed captioning is not available with the HD networks. They are available through the standard definition channels. The reason for this is, if there were subtitles then they would appear to be so small, that you could not read them. When we have over come this issue then we will offer them on all channels. Once again thank you for contacting VOOM, if you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to call us at 1-800-438-VOOM.​

So, BRAVO-HD may or may not be transmitting captions. But VOOM cannot display them yet.

I can wait...

1080iWannabe said:

Thank you for contacting VOOM, home of the HD evolution! I certainly apologize for any inconvenience this problem has caused you but at this time subtext or closed captioning is not available with the HD networks. They are available through the standard definition channels. The reason for this is, if there were subtitles then they would appear to be so small, that you could not read them. When we have over come this issue then we will offer them on all channels. Once again thank you for contacting VOOM, if you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to call us at 1-800-438-VOOM.​

So, BRAVO-HD may or may not be transmitting captions. But VOOM cannot display them yet.

I can wait...

Ummm.... Trying to digest this reasoning. I have seen closed captioning on OTA HD programs on CBS, ABC, NBC and it does not look small at all and with no problems. I believe I have seen them in the HD premium channels as well. So I have a hard time believing this theory.

I've seen it in HD as well, but for some reason when I tried it, the captioning did not keep up with the picture and was fragmented. I do't know if it was the Voom box or the channel.

Royalty Free HD Footage Debuts MOOV HD Channel

HBO West: Farewell to the King, 8PM EST

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)