Blockbuster: Free Movie Rental for Good Students in K-12

CK SatGuy

Formerly ckhalil18
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
The Motor City
From Home Media Magazine:

Blockbuster LLC June 9 said it will give grade-school children who earn at least a B average on their 2011 report card a free one-day movie rental on any non-new release title.
McKinney, Texas-based Blockbuster, which is owned by Dish Network Corp., said the offer is for students in kindergarten through 12th grade who bring in their original report card (with a 2.7 or 80% grade average) with a parent or legal guardian’s signature to a participating Blockbuster store.
Rentals must be made by an authorized renter on the Blockbuster account of the student's parent or legal guardian.
With about 1,700 stores nationwide, Blockbuster recently dropped its second-day rental fee on all titles priced $2.99 and below to 99-cents per day – the same as kiosks.
“Blockbuster wants to help show students one of life's great lessons: Hard work has its rewards,” said Kevin Lewis, chief marketing officer for Blockbuster. “We believe the ‘Good Grades, Free Rental’ program gives teachers and parents another tool to provide positive reinforcement to school-age kids.”
Separately, Blockbuster’s video-on-demand platform will be included in HTC’s new Evo 3D smartphone, available this summer. The Blockbuster On Demand mobile app offers access to one of the largest catalogs of movies, including 3D titles. This app offers video optimized for viewing on HTC Evo 3D’s 4.3-inch screen and offers new releases on the same day they become available on Blu-ray Disc and DVD.
Consumers can buy or rent titles digitally and download directly to their smartphone, including select 3D movies. Drive Angry, starring Nicolas Cage, will be one of the first a3D titles available to customers.
Rentals range from $2.99 to $3.99 each, and purchases are $4.99 and up. If a video isn’t available digitally, Blockbuster also gives customers access to more than 100,000 movies and TV shows, as well as games, through its Blockbuster by Mail service and Blockbuster stores nationwide. The HTC Evo 3D phone also enables customers to manage and update their mail queues from their phone.
Blockbuster: Free Movie Rental to Kids Who Make the Grade | Home Media Magazine

I see from the Dish website they are also letting subs have free movies for the next month. Seems like an odd promo as the future is streaming not trucking over to a brick and mortar store to pick up a not so new movie that has to be returned the next day. The last standing Blockbuster around here is 32 miles away. I guess Dish sees this a value added gift to subs.

I see from the Dish website they are also letting subs have free movies for the next month. Seems like an odd promo as the future is streaming not trucking over to a brick and mortar store to pick up a not so new movie that has to be returned the next day. The last standing Blockbuster around here is 32 miles away. I guess Dish sees this a value added gift to subs.

WHere do you see that?

I only see BB online free for 3 months for news subs.

Hmm..., I daughter got mostly A's and a single C. The boy on the other hand got almost all 4's with a couple 2's in writing (yeah, they use numbers in the elementary school here). Too bad Blockbuster isn't conveint to me, especially for 1-day rentals, I'd spend more in gas than for the movie.

I still don't see where it says that.

No, but that explains alot;);)

Man what a sense of humor!:D:D

Back to the topic that's pretty cool of BB to do that.Know it isn't much but hey any incentive for kids to get good grades is worthwhile.

It is more or less Rent one get one offer...but not even newest release for the free one. rent a 2.99 one and get a 1.99 one. Not all that impressive.

Anybody have multiple receivers on the same TV? (re: 3+ tuners)

add receiver to Dish account

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)