Blind Search Capabilities

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Wholeshoe

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 28, 2004
This might open up a can of worms but here we go anyway.

I am looking to buy a Blind Search receiver and would like to know the pro's and con's of some of them. Im getting tired of punching in the Freq and SR on my BEC. I looked in the hardware forum but didn't find much in there.

Paticulary I was looking at the Pansat 2500A and the Fortec Star Ultra, but if there are others I am open to suggestions/comments.

I would also like to say thanks to this forum, I have been messing with FTA since last spring but I didn't find this place until recently and it is a great way to share ideas and problems on FTA reception. It's not like you can call up your neighbor to see if he is still getting some odd feed or not.

Thanks

Wholeshoe

From your expierence, what is the lowest quality signal the Satwork 3688 can receiver and still watch?

For instance on my BEC I cannot watch anything below 49-50 with the exception of Chuck Harder. I think ther reason I can get him lower is becasue he probably encoded the video at a lower bitrate than the others.

Wholeshoe

On the Satwork 3688 my threshold for reception is at 35% quality, but its very hard to compare signal quality levels from different brands of receiver, the Satworks Quality level meter seems to be set on purpose quite low.

I also have the BEC-2000 DBS : )

DiamondJim

Would the difference between the two be DISECq motor control commands on the 3688 but not on the 3618?

I have a SG2100 motor.

Wholeshoe

PSB said:
On the Satwork 3688 my threshold for reception is at 35% quality
Can I set the reception threshold on my 3618? Now that you mention it, I'll bet its factory default is 35%.

As far as I know its pre-set at 35% well thats when I start to loose things.

The main difference between the 3618 and the 3688 is that the 3688 can be used to motor a dish DiSEcq 1.2 ( I use the SG2100 also, never misses a beat ) The on screen graphics are a lot better, it seems faster than the 3618 and the picture looks better to me, I still have my 3618 also but I just use it as a tool now.

This threshold is not changeable... it's how much of the DVB stream your particular receiver's algorithms need to decode the MPEG audio and video. Any less, and it simply can't recreate all of the original a/v. Any more, and the error correction just needs to do less work.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Help needed! -- Antenna setup randomly changes

Sorry, my 2500A died....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)