Big 12 could play in Yankee Stadium

mdonnelly

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 26, 2004
Mustang, OK
Here's some exciting news: :sarcasm:

" The Big 12 and Big East might play a bowl game in Yankee Stadium beginning in 2010. The game would take place between Christmas and New Year’s and feature the seventh-place Big 12 team and the third- or fourth-place team in the Big East.

Big 12 officials told the New York Times that they planned to sign an agreement in the near future. ..."

NewsOK

Why even hold a bowl for a 7th place team, let alone 3rd or 4th?

Sandra

Bowl games are traditionally seen as a reward for a good season. Maybe having to play outdoors in New York in January would be a punishment... something used to motivate players throughout the season?!? "You've got to work harder than that guys, or we're going to freeze our asses off at the Steinbrenner Bowl come January!"

Bowl games are traditionally seen as a reward for a good season. Maybe having to play outdoors in New York in January would be a punishment... something used to motivate players throughout the season?!? "You've got to work harder than that guys, or we're going to freeze our asses off at the Steinbrenner Bowl come January!"

HA!

8th place team has to play in a bowl game in Quebec City, 9th place on Baffin Island, 10th place at the Magnetic North Pole. :D

Sandra

To be honest, it will probably be a success. Are there any other CFB bowl games in NYC? It might attract a lot of college football fans there that wouldn't get to go to a bowl game.

Unlike many northern cities (no offense) NYC is certainly worth visiting in December, but what is the point of a bowl game. NYC is not a college market. It just is not.

And Insider, you are exactly correct. This is the source of the sorry and silly excuse that touts of woeful conferences like the Leastleftovers spew out. The broken BcS system set up uneven matchups based on trying to do some kind of "affirmative action" system, as in this case with 7th in a legitimate Major conference plays the 3rd place in the Leastleftovers, creating an nearly even matchup. Because 3rd in the Leastleftovers would lose by 50 to 3rd in a True Major.

Don't we have ENOUGH BOWLS already ?

We already have a bunch of bowls that can't sell all thier tickets, now that will decide to add MORE games .....
Now we have another one in a cold climate, this will turn out to be a bowl no one wants to go to just like the Motor City Bowl.

HA!

8th place team has to play in a bowl game in Quebec City, 9th place on Baffin Island, 10th place at the Magnetic North Pole. :D

Sandra
Good one! Personally, I would love to revert back to the good ole days where the conference winner went on to play in a prestigious bowl game and the rest of the players went home to study for finals and spend time with family over the holidays. I just don't think we need a Vanish Toilet Bowl or Captain Crunch Cereal Bowl just for a few extra $$$ in the administrations coffers. :rolleyes:

3rd in the Leastleftovers would lose by 50 to 3rd in a True Major.

What do you have against the Big East?

Sam, people LIKE collegiate football in the Northeast. What is it going to take for you to realize that?

IIRC, the Big East has produced some fine players- ever heard of that Larry Fitzgerald guy? He came from Pittsburgh.

It exists.

Seriously, the Leastleftovers is a solid mid-major conference. Right on par with CUSA, Mountain West, WAC, etc. A mid-major. Nothing wrong with that.

But, under the broken BcS cartel, one of two things will happen this year, as every year. The other mid-majors must go undefeated to get a trip to the lowest BcS bowl and a few $$. Otherwise, they will be told to pound sand. But the Leastleftover "champion" will, AUTOMATICALLY, go to a BcS bowl, no matter what. Wrong. Or, worse yet, and this will happen some year, the Leastleftover "champion" will be undefeated, in which case we will be force to sit through a laughable BcS final. Evil.

If the Leastleftovers were replaced in the cartel by the Mountain West, or the cartel was simply declared illegal (which it is) you would not hear a peap out of me about the Leastleftovers.

Sam, people LIKE collegiate football in the Northeast. What is it going to take for you to realize that?

Yes, they are called Nittany Lions.

I like my local minor league team. I know they are not the Yankees. I like my local community theatre. I know it is not Broadway. I like my neighbor's garden and the stuf he gives me. I know it is not the Great Valley of California. Etc.

If you equate what goes on in Piscataway to what goes on in Gainsville, you do not understand college football. It is a fundamentally different level.

IIRC, the Big East has produced some fine players- ever heard of that Larry Fitzgerald guy? He came from Pittsburgh.

So have CUSA, the Mountain West, the WAC, I-AA, Div II, and so on.

It exists.

Seriously, the Leastleftovers is a solid mid-major conference. Right on par with CUSA, Mountain West, WAC, etc. A mid-major. Nothing wrong with that.

But, under the broken BcS cartel, one of two things will happen this year, as every year. The other mid-majors must go undefeated to get a trip to the lowest BcS bowl and a few $$. Otherwise, they will be told to pound sand. But the Leastleftover "champion" will, AUTOMATICALLY, go to a BcS bowl, no matter what. Wrong. Or, worse yet, and this will happen some year, the Leastleftover "champion" will be undefeated, in which case we will be force to sit through a laughable BcS final. Evil.

If the Leastleftovers were replaced in the cartel by the Mountain West, or the cartel was simply declared illegal (which it is) you would not hear a peap out of me about the Leastleftovers.

Yes, they are called Nittany Lions.

I like my local minor league team. I know they are not the Yankees. I like my local community theatre. I know it is not Broadway. I like my neighbor's garden and the stuf he gives me. I know it is not the Great Valley of California. Etc.

If you equate what goes on in Piscataway to what goes on in Gainsville, you do not understand college football. It is a fundamentally different level.

So have CUSA, the Mountain West, the WAC, I-AA, Div II, and so on.

You left out the MAC conference in several places in this post ....

I would consider the MAC a Mid Major
I would also consider the MAC as a conference to get many of your "Unknown" players.
Look at all the QB's that have come out of it in the last 10-15 years not to mention the effect Mr. Cribbs has had as a Non QB/ special teams player. btw, he to was a QB in the MAC.

I would say that the Mountain West is more than a mid-major. They have kept on par with the BCS conferences the past several years, and have some impressive wins against them (Utah-Alabama, Utah-Oklahoma, BYU-Oklahoma).

If anything, the Mountain West should replace the Big East in the BCS. The only reason the Big East was in the original Bowl Alliance anyway was because of Miami.

Ideally though, junk the BCS and go to a 16 team playoff (ala 1-AA, II, III, etc...).

You left out the MAC conference in several places in this post ....

I would consider the MAC a Mid Major
I would also consider the MAC as a conference to get many of your "Unknown" players.
Look at all the QB's that have come out of it in the last 10-15 years not to mention the effect Mr. Cribbs has had as a Non QB/ special teams player. btw, he to was a QB in the MAC.

Speaking of #16.... he's the inspiration of my new avatar!

Well, the truth is...Sam is speaking the truth. College football is not and will never be a big time sport in the northeast, outside of certain pockets like Happy Valley. Very odd, since high school football is as much a religion in Pennsylvania as it is in Texas.

People will tune in to big national games, but college football will never take over the psyche of the region like it does elsewhere. Here in the City, in the Fall people are so wrapped in the playoff/World Series aspirations of the Yankees and Mets, and the fortunes of the Giants and Jets, there is little time available to think about college football. They'll watch OSU-USC from 8-11 on a Saturday night, but after that people are calling talk shows about Eli Manning, Rex Ryan, and Joba Chamberlain...not college football.

I was in Pensacola Florida the week before Memorial Day weekend a few years ago, and I drove over to New Orleans as well. Ninety percent of the sports talk on the radio was about college football, even in their 'down time'. It was weird.

Rutgers will always have local support, so will Boston College, Pittsburgh, etc. But even when those teams are good it's not like everyone is talking about them. College basketball is huge in the northeast. College football is not.

Sandra

Well, the truth is...Sam is speaking the truth. College football is not and will never be a big time sport in the northeast, outside of certain pockets like Happy Valley. Very odd, since high school football is as much a religion in Pennsylvania as it is in Texas.
That's because of the long history with pro teams like the Steelers, Patriots, Packers, Browns, etc...

The South does not have that pro history, but does with College teams (Alabama, Auburn, Florida, etc...).

NFL Channel Red Zone

NCAA Football on TV for 9/19/2009

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)