Beginners Guide?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

pstryjew

Original poster
Jan 17, 2012
Central Ohio
I've looked (not exhaustively) for a beginners post and didn't find one.

I'm contemplating going to DirectTV from Time Warner cable. I've been a long time TWC customer, not a happy one, but the options were limited.

After rising bills, cable card issues, tuning adapters, and other issues - I'm ready to say enough.

However, DTV seems to raise a bunch of questions too: Promotions, rebates, charges, discounts, contracts.

I'll start with a few questions:

1) Is all the pricing for new customers about the same? It seems like there are some AAA and Costco "deals" that are above and beyond. There are some referral discounts, but besides that is there any other discounts?

2) The posts on a price increase bring this question. If I sign up this weekend, will the price increases apply? Aren't I in a contract with the prices at the time of the agreement and locked in for two years? Doesn't the lock go both ways?

3) Is there anyway to know who the installation company might be? I'd like an experienced installer. I have all rooms "home run"ed to a central distribution point. All with RG6 quad shield. They should be able to drop the feed into the attic, down to the distribution and then to the individual rooms. But I'd like to have some who knows what they are doing.

4) Where is a good place to start finding out about some of this? If I look at the costs for 24months. Even with an expensive DTV package, I'd save a bunch of money over cable.

Pete

If you call the 800 number, deal with AAA, Costco, you will most likely have a home services or contractor for Directv come to do the install. How much experience they have may vary. I used to work for a contract shop and eventually I began work for a retailer. I now have 4 years experience. The retailer I work for has a model of using only employee installers. Some use contractors.

I would suggest you contact a authorized retail shop in your area and ask if they use contract or employee installers. You could ask for a more experienced installer. I am in my 60's and can tell you that my customers are relieved when I come into their home. They know that I come with a lot of life experience and will do well by them.

Your install sounds pretty straight forward and should not be a problem for any experienced installer.

As far as prices going up during your contract... my my experience, the price of your package (e.g. Choice Xtra) is part of your deal and that price is fixed for the 12 months or whatever, but other things, such as receiver lease fees are separate and can go up. At least that is what happened to me previously. I was isolated from the package rate increase, but the $1/mo receiver lease increase effected me. It wouldn't surprise me if other non-package things like DVR rates were in the same category as lease fees, although I'm not sure.

I've looked (not exhaustively) for a beginners post and didn't find one.

I'm contemplating going to DirectTV from Time Warner cable. I've been a long time TWC customer, not a happy one, but the options were limited.

After rising bills, cable card issues, tuning adapters, and other issues - I'm ready to say enough.

However, DTV seems to raise a bunch of questions too: Promotions, rebates, charges, discounts, contracts.

I'll start with a few questions:

1) Is all the pricing for new customers about the same? It seems like there are some AAA and Costco "deals" that are above and beyond. There are some referral discounts, but besides that is there any other discounts?

2) The posts on a price increase bring this question. If I sign up this weekend, will the price increases apply? Aren't I in a contract with the prices at the time of the agreement and locked in for two years? Doesn't the lock go both ways?

3) Is there anyway to know who the installation company might be? I'd like an experienced installer. I have all rooms "home run"ed to a central distribution point. All with RG6 quad shield. They should be able to drop the feed into the attic, down to the distribution and then to the individual rooms. But I'd like to have some who knows what they are doing.

4) Where is a good place to start finding out about some of this? If I look at the costs for 24months. Even with an expensive DTV package, I'd save a bunch of money over cable.

Pete

I feel that my post will hopefully be helpful as I recently made the switch from Brighthouse Networks (a Time Warner partnered company) to DirecTV. Here's what I think:

1. The pricing for new customers is fairly similar, you will find discounts from multiple avenues such as AAA and customer referrals. I think your best bet would be to contact DirecTV directly and if you're a AAA customer get that deal as well as the customer referral. That would be $200 off ($20 credits per month for 10 months) on top of the new customer offerings.

2. If you sign up this weekend, the new pricing won't apply until after your 12 months of promotional credits end.

3. Unfortunately, you don't know who the installation company is. I was wondering the same thing but you can ask DirecTV for the companies name and phone number and contact them ahead of time. If you have any special requests, you can try and get them to have the stuff you need ahead of time but there is no guarantee on this.

4. I ended up saving some money by switching from cable to DTV but in the long run, it'll probably level out. It's all about the promotions you get. DirecTV is great about giving deals to customers who call up and express concern about their pricing. Whether it's a $10 credit for 6 months or something along these lines they are known for this. I can't say you'll always get it, but if you have an account that's in good standing and have been a customer for over a year, you usually can "finagle" things out of them :)

Good luck with your decision and please check your PM.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

trouble setting up slimline 3 sattelite

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)