Basic Installation & Utilizing Structured Wiring

Status
Please reply by conversation.

fretbored

Original poster
Nov 15, 2004
Does anyone know if installers will take advantage of existing structured wiring when doing a basic install? Are they willing to go into the attic? I don't really want to have to pay extra, and I REALLY don't want cables run down the outside of the house.

Here's what I do want:
I would like the installer to put the dish on the roof and run the cable(s?) into the attic and down an existing conduit (pvc pipe) to the basement. In the basement there is a patch panel that is already wired to all of jacks in the house. The installer would then just have to connect the cable(s?) from the dish directly into the right ports on the patch panel.

Seems simple enough to me... Do you think an installer might balk at doing this without charging extra?

Thanks in advance.

Unlikely that any installer would access your attic free of charge.

You would be better off running the cables yourself and leaving the tails hanging on each end. The installer would put connectors on and connect to your existing wiring, in most cases, without a problem.

Cabler is right. Most installer will charge to go into the attic. As far as getting the cable into the attic, how high up is the roof. Myself, I charge if I have to physicaly climb on the roof, my insurance does'nt like that. If the basement is open, go with a pole mount if possible.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Getting Nervous!!

Basic installation; What's included?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)