Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
Anybody have that happen where what looks like to be a backhaul is on a OTA subchannel in your market?

Here is what I mean...last night I was watching the news on my local NBC (KARE 11). The sports guy has a show called "Prep Sports Extra" which is a 1/2 hour show of high school FB hilites and scores. He's been doing it for around 25 years now and its on at 11:00 on the local CW and online (our local news is at 10:00). So at 10:35 when the news got over I started surfing and my TV logged a channel 11-3 that said "KARE-SP" (11-2 is Weather Plus)

anyways...it was the sports guy doing a "trial run" of the show with highlights in it. At 11:00 the aqctual show was on both 11-3 (the "backhaul" as I'd call it) and 23 (the local CW). When tghey went to commercial 11-3 had NBC commercials but 23 had CW commercials.

at 11:35 or so when I went to 11-3 it abruptly switched to 11-1 and 11-3 was gone

Anybody ever seen that happen?

That justifies my reasons for continuously scanning the OTA in my market for hidden material. :) Our FOX channel 7 tends to leave things on the 7.2 channel once in a while. Either the animated weather map, current car chase, or view of the bay during windy weather. Good stuff :)

My 3-year old Syntax HD LCD won't log new channels without a rescan (so far as I know).
However, many of the current digital HD TV converter boxes seem to rescan while you aren't looking.
Well, at least they'll add a subchannel to a known main channel, without any problem.
Not sure if my TV will do that or not, now that I think about it.
It did auto-drop channel 5.5, which was The Tube, after it went off the air...

Point being, maybe some folks are laboring under the delusion that "new" subchannels are not seen by the general public.
Not a safe assumption - :rolleyes:

Maybe comments from others about their TV or converter box auto-displaying new channels would be germane to the topic.

good find.

the only thing I"ve found in my market is one of the stations is running a lower sampled AC-3 audio carrier than the AC-3 audio on the main channel. That lower-sampled audio is not mapped, so you have to define the channel with a TS program to listen to it.

My local CBS affiliate (WMAZ) has 13.1 HD CBS programming, 13.2 SD Blank or Dark, and 13.3 SD Dopplar Radar. The middle channel (13.2) usually has nothing but darkness/blankness, but most days at Noon it shows a Kids Magic Show, which can also be seen simulcast on the Dopplar Radar channel (13.3). Sometimes in the mornings between 9am-11am I've seen Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy in SD on 13.2, it's scheduled for 7pm/7:30pm respectively on 13.1 in HD. For the most part it's just a blank/dark channel, wasting bandwidth. They also use it and the Dopplar Radar channel for "March Madness" and different Basketball games.
WSB in Atlanta used what is now an RTN channel (2.2) as a Radar channel for a couple of months, when they first implemented it. Then it was ABC News Now for a while. Then it went dark. Then they used it for a live 24/7 feed for a week during the Coretta Scott King Funeral, which was also live on one of the Satellites. Now it's just your typical RTN channel, and I won't complain about that...!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

AMC3 transponder issues

Is CS5000 Satellite list Upgradeable?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts