Aware of the RabbitEars Outage

Ok, I restarted the script in debug mode and I am getting this

failed to lock tuner
ERROR: resource locked by 10.0.0.4

10.0.0.4 is my server, the bandscan script runs on that machine, as does my Channels DVR which also shares the HDHR tuner.

It looks like whenever the Channels DVR scans for the HDHR it takes over all 4 tuners and locks out the bandscan script. So I will have to get another HDHR to keep doing this.

It looks like whenever the Channels DVR scans for the HDHR it takes over all 4 tuners and locks out the bandscan script. So I will have to get another HDHR to keep doing this.

I was going to suggest checking for another process that was using the tuner assigned to the Bandscan script.

I have seen a duplicate Bandscan script do this. Maybe on a slow Windows box that was launching a new scan from Task Scheduler before the first was complete.

But is this a new configuration with both the DVR and Bandscan on the same box? If not, kill the DVR and all running Bandscan scripts. Restart Bandscan. When it is settled, start the DVR.

Also, a site will vanish from the main Bandscan map after 24 hours of no data.

I was going to suggest checking for another process that was using the tuner assigned to the Bandscan script.....
I am going to build up the Scan Tuner software on a Pi and that way it will always be active and locking tuner 0. The problem is now with both services running on the server, whenever I restart the server the DVR loads faster than Scan Tuner and takes over.

I don't run Channels, so I don't know, but that sounds like seriously dysfunctional behavior to me. There should be a way to stop that. I know when the HDHR scans for new channels, that locks up all tuners; TiVos do the same thing. But I don't like devices automatically scanning for new channels and screwing up the VCT with tropo channels, and one of the advantages of running the band scanner, for me, anyway, is that it seems to stop the HDHR from automatically scanning for new channels periodically, which I very much LIKE.

My bandscan scripts run on a Windoze machine, though, so ymmv.

I'm not going to start the setup just yet; I forgot to have him change a BIOS setting so the operating system has to be reloaded again. D'oh!

To provide an update, we got the primary server reloaded--correctly, this time!--this morning around 9:30AM ET. I've been working on getting it set back up ever since. It won't be done today for sure. I'm going to coordinate with Russ on the exact timing so the Live Bandscan can be moved back over with as little data loss as possible, but I'm hoping to be back on the primary server by Tuesday morning at the latest, and my goal is to be back on it well before then.

And then we keep our fingers crossed that replacing the disks solved the problem once and for all. So far, so good, knock on wood!

Separately, I'm still getting a single person reporting weird adware-type stuff appearing on the site, even on the temp server. Has anyone else seen it?

- Trip

Reactions: FTA4PA
I moved the scan-tuner software over to a Raspberry Pi, this way it is always running and keeping a lock on tuner0 even when the Channels DVR reboots for updates.

Reactions: Trip
Folks, we're gearing up to move back to the primary server within the next hour. When the database restore is done, I'm going to change the DNS, wait about 10 minutes (the TTL is set to 5 minutes, so most people shouldn't have an issue), then kill the temp server to ensure a clean break on the Live Bandscan data. Once the Live Bandscan stuff comes over and is complete, we'll reenable the Live Bandscan. There'll be a short gap, but it'll be about as smooth as we can make it.

- Trip

Pretty much everyone should be back on the primary server now. You can tell because the red text under the logo at the top will tell you, and also, the temp server now just has placeholder text on it. The Live Bandscan is down for the file copy but should be coming back online shortly.

- Trip

Looks like we're done. Live Bandscan is running again. Thanks so much for your patience, and please see the blog post about the restoration:

- Trip

Winegard Pre amp question

A new era in Yooper broadcast TV begins (WJMN-TV 3/WBUP 10/WBKP 5.2 "My UP")...