audio stuttering caused by 1ghz upgrades?

skottey

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 10, 2007
Denver Metro, CO
I am in St. Petersburg and yesterday and today have been getting annoying audio hiccups on various channels (specifically of note Fox News Channel and Sun Sports). I am watching hockey tonight and the audio will garble every few minutes and the picture remains fine.

I know they are doing upgrades to 1Ghz equipment and this was verified by the tech support on the phone tonight. Of course he would not admit to any problems and doesn't have an upgrade schedule.

Could all this upgrading be causing my audio problems? When I called support he said he would "send a signal" to the boxes and if it continues to call back tomorrow.

What does sending a signal do anyway? It is still mucking up after he sent a signal.

My Internet appears to be fine, although a ping -t to google.com has been getting an occasional request timed out, which routinely is not the case, as I'll run a ping test for hours with no times out on any given day.

I am in St. Petersburg and yesterday and today have been getting annoying audio hiccups on various channels (specifically of note Fox News Channel and Sun Sports). I am watching hockey tonight and the audio will garble every few minutes and the picture remains fine.

I know they are doing upgrades to 1Ghz equipment and this was verified by the tech support on the phone tonight. Of course he would not admit to any problems and doesn't have an upgrade schedule.

Could all this upgrading be causing my audio problems? When I called support he said he would "send a signal" to the boxes and if it continues to call back tomorrow.

What does sending a signal do anyway? It is still mucking up after he sent a signal.

My Internet appears to be fine, although a ping -t to google.com has been getting an occasional request timed out, which routinely is not the case, as I'll run a ping test for hours with no times out on any given day.

Road Runner Tampa Bay has been having DNS issues for a while so your google timeout could be a result of these issues. I've switched my DNS servers to Level3 DNS services and my internet is much better now. Those servers are 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.5 just so you know.

I've also had audio issues mainly with HD channels even on recorded content with both of my 8300HDC boxes. My 8300HD box on the other hand works without a hitch. The only thing I've noticed is that sometimes I need to switch to a normal digital channel and go back to the HD channel. On DVR shows I must tune into a digital channel first and after that select my show again and select start from beginning. Other times a full reboot of the box is the only thing that fixes it.

I haven't had any audio issues like you stated on SD channels just on the HD channels. I had these issues well before the final upgrade was done but on the other hand ever since that day it does seem to be worse than before.

Either way I'll call a few people and get more information along with reporting this as a known issue. Also anybody else within the Tampa Bay region with BHN having stuttering issues with audio please report it in this thread so I can see just how widespread this issue is okay.

Road Runner Tampa Bay has been having DNS issues for a while so your google timeout could be a result of these issues. I've switched my DNS servers to Level3 DNS services and my internet is much better now. Those servers are 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.5 just so you know.

I've also had audio issues mainly with HD channels even on recorded content with both of my 8300HDC boxes. My 8300HD box on the other hand works without a hitch. The only thing I've noticed is that sometimes I need to switch to a normal digital channel and go back to the HD channel. On DVR shows I must tune into a digital channel first and after that select my show again and select start from beginning. Other times a full reboot of the box is the only thing that fixes it.

I haven't had any audio issues like you stated on SD channels just on the HD channels. I had these issues well before the final upgrade was done but on the other hand ever since that day it does seem to be worse than before.

Either way I'll call a few people and get more information along with reporting this as a known issue. Also anybody else within the Tampa Bay region with BHN having stuttering issues with audio please report it in this thread so I can see just how widespread this issue is okay.

I don't use the RR DNS. It isn't a name resolution problem in any event though from my home and the ping issues. But the RR DNS issues you speak of explains a lot for my customers that use DHCP and the RR DNS servers. I hope they get it resolved soon.

I am still having audio hiccups. I am not going to bother calling them back about it until next week though if it continues. There is no point calling them now only to be told it will be Monday or Tuesday before they can come out anyway. Hopefully, it will just go away. I hate when they have to come out anyway. I don't think it is anything in my house.

I live in South St. Petersburg and haven't noticied any audio issues. The signal that support was mentioning is like a command that tells the boxes to re-initialize, similar to going back to it's default state.

BHN Insider

I live in South St. Petersburg and haven't noticied any audio issues. The signal that support was mentioning is like a command that tells the boxes to re-initialize, similar to going back to it's default state.

BHN Insider

It didn't work when he sent the signal, but things have cleared up now. Now I am enjoying the new HD channels on BHN. A step in the right direction, although I carry all these new channels already with Dish. I am excited about things to come with BHN and eventually dropping Dish.

Sometimes it takes a good shove for BHN to make a move. They were practically knocked down in new stuff since the digital cable revolution.

Keep up the good work BHN.

Skottey how do the picture quality compare on Dish vs bhn with the same channels, As I do not have dish I can not compare whats your opinion ?

Skottey how do the picture quality compare on Dish vs bhn with the same channels, As I do not have dish I can not compare whats your opinion ?

There is very little difference between the two but if I had to decide, I'd say that BHN is better on picture quality of both the SD and HD channels.

Furthermore, in the summertime, there are enough rain outages on Dish with these Florida rains to make it seriously annoying. BHN is almost never "out."

I enjoy Dish but if I had to pick one it would be BHN only.

I live in Sun City Center and using a New 8300HDC box from BH. I have had the box about two months and have had audio drops since the beginning. Since the box was a true new unit it has to be the software when using HDMI.
At first I only lost the audio once in awhile now it has become a constant issue. The audio drops out on recorded and live shows. I have found when the audio drops on a live show if I switch to a SD channel and then the last button to return to the HD channel the audio returns. I have tried every fix offered on various support sites but nothing has fixed the problem. I'll be calling BH tomorrow to see what can be done if anything.

I live in Sun City Center and using a New 8300HDC box from BH. I have had the box about two months and have had audio drops since the beginning. Since the box was a true new unit it has to be the software when using HDMI.
At first I only lost the audio once in awhile now it has become a constant issue. The audio drops out on recorded and live shows. I have found when the audio drops on a live show if I switch to a SD channel and then the last button to return to the HD channel the audio returns. I have tried every fix offered on various support sites but nothing has fixed the problem. I'll be calling BH tomorrow to see what can be done if anything.

Call up and get that box replaced with the original HDDVR. There is a known problem with the HDMI and not working properly.

There is no fix currently to solve that problem. (other than replacing the box) I am told they are working on new software upgrade that is supposed to resolve this issue. There is no ETA on this software upgrade though.

The HDC boxes suck period. Not so much the boxes but the software they decided to go with...

Wow... I asked about a the newer box twice in the last few weeks while calling to wheel and deal package upgrades. They told me they have no newer HD DVR... I know they do from here but it must be bad if they are denying it exists. I will keep my existing two HD DVRs.

On another note... I had a crappy customer service experience with BHN this week. After dropping Dish, I have been upping my package with BHN to get Starz, Movie Pak, HD Pak, Sports Pak (for NHL, don't care about the rest). The first guy added the stuff and totally f'd up my billing. I had a bad feeling about it so I called back in. The idiot had broken up my premiums, including the HBO/Max for $10/month and put them in at $11.95 each. When I called back she packaged me all back up nice to get Starz/HBO/Showtime/Max for $26.95 or something like that for six months and then it goes to $32.95. I had Showtime previously for $11.95 so Starz didn't add much to the bill when packaged together. They wanted $8 more for TMC, even with ALL the other premiums. I said forget it, TMC is worth $4 max to me.

But anyway... every time I call the CSRs keep trying to push me on Roadrunner and digital phone. I proceed to explain to them that I already have their VO RR package on a separate bill, same house for my business and they have no understanding as to what Virtual Office RR is. I find myself explaining over and over that I don't need their RR Lite as they push it. I am an RR reseller for Christ sakes, and I already have RR. I don't need to bundle. I don't want your phone service, I have Vonage and I am very happy running a business on Vonage with very few problems. I call to talk about cable TV, I don't want to talk about anything else. They must have daily sales meetings telling these reps to sell sell sell, bundle bundle bundle.... I just want to deal with TV. You are getting $140+ out of me a month now just for TV and you have the nerve to ignore what I am saying about VO and try to get me to get RR Lite or phone? Stop it!! I just want TV... lots and lots of TV... gimme your best deal on TV!!!!!

ahhhh.. I feel much better now getting that out!

The slogan is "Its all about the bundle" they had signs up all over the offices for awhile. Now they got the astrick stuff, and the "one and done" its their service policy that is saying one customer should only have to make 1 phone call and the problem should be resolved or have1 tech visit and its done, no matter what the problem. On paper its great, but working in the field I know its impossible goal to meet at all times.

The slogan is "Its all about the bundle" they had signs up all over the offices for awhile. Now they got the astrick stuff, and the "one and done" its their service policy that is saying one customer should only have to make 1 phone call and the problem should be resolved or have1 tech visit and its done, no matter what the problem. On paper its great, but working in the field I know its impossible goal to meet at all times.

I am just thankful they are looking at both my intermittent audio / video problem going on since Dec off and on with the television that has recently become the occasional blackout for a minute or two which also takes out Internet on the VO account. I had to have them cross reference my two accounts to look at it with one visit. It comes in on the same line, it is the same problem, but it is two accounts. Why does that confuse people? Run me a second line to the pole if you like for the RR. I don't care. I still think it is something wrong down the street with an amp or something again like it has been in the past, but what do I know?

I am just thankful they are looking at both my intermittent audio / video problem going on since Dec off and on with the television that has recently become the occasional blackout for a minute or two which also takes out Internet on the VO account. I had to have them cross reference my two accounts to look at it with one visit. It comes in on the same line, it is the same problem, but it is two accounts. Why does that confuse people? Run me a second line to the pole if you like for the RR. I don't care. I still think it is something wrong down the street with an amp or something again like it has been in the past, but what do I know?

They usally only run 1 line per "power meter" as the standard if a dwelling has only 1 line its only considered a single unit. If you have 2 separate power meters, they will usually will open 2 accounts and give you two bills. Your situation is relatively unique because they usually dont put 2 seperate accounts on a single unit. They will try to put them together, so when the CSR pulls up your cable account they do not see anything else to tell them you have another account at the same location. So they don't know you have RR until you tell them, and even then they may have a hard time understanding how its a the same house. (be careful they confuse easy when its not a normal 1 2 3 step thing, if they are new)

The problem could very well be on the system, the problem with it being intermentiant is if its not happening and when the tech troubleshoots it from tap to node, everything maybe perfect, its dam near impossible to track. Because the problem could be anywhere from your wall plate to the headend. and if no one is seeing it or its only there for a few seconds its hard for anyone to determine ok this is where the fault happened. Usally if their is a high volume of customers with the same problems it makes it easier because we can find a "common point" between all the customers complaining and start trouble shooting from there.

The problem could very well be on the system, the problem with it being intermentiant is if its not happening and when the tech troubleshoots it from tap to node, everything maybe perfect, its dam near impossible to track.

This is what I am afraid of. I am sitting here watching Fox Business, waiting for the guy to come out and "test" everything this AM. Everything is perfect with no hiccups. But, I have had problems off and on since Dec, but it really didn't annoy me enough to finally schedule them out until this week. With the new baby arriving last week, my mother in law stayed (10 days or so) at our house and the Living Room / home office TV was literally on 24/7 as she watches Fox News, A&E (non-HD version for some reason even though I told her there is an HD version), TNT (non-HD), and Lifetime. We sure got our usage of BHN this month. But anyway, having the TV on ALL the time means while I sit at my computer doing work or playing around on sites like this, I noticed every hiccup while in the room, 24/7 as she watched TV. It was happening way more than I noticed previously. She never complained though,but it was bad. Then the black screen hit the other day, and again a day later. Both times, taking out my Internet. Eventually, TV came back on and impatiently I rebooted my business class modem. When I called to get them out here they skipped troubleshooting and scheduled immediately.

I truly understand how hard it is for you guys to pinpoint a problem. I go through the same thing with customers and computers. I'll go out and their problem vanishes, I leave, it comes back. And since I am an RR reseller, my customers often call me first when their Internet is down. I know RR is having a problem when I get 3-4 families calling me to say their Internet is down. Although I would love the money of a service call to their house to tell them it is RR, I end up realizing it is RR and tell them to call, saving them the cost of having me out. Sometimes they don't want to deal with it so they pay me to come over and call in and report it. Other times they ride it out. I see a lot of trends in neighborhood outages. Especially the coastal upper class residential neighborhoods with one way in, one way out utilities. They are down all the time. I seriously have very little RR outage, which is the important thing. TV is nice, but Internet is my bread and butter and pays the bills.

Come on tech.... time is money... the sooner you get here, the sooner I can go make some money!

Edit: 9AM- it just hiccuped.... come on... do it again when the guy comes.

Edit: 11AM- I'm told squirrels chewed through my line and the tech replaced the line from the pole to the box. No hiccups since. Unfortunately, he was unable to add an HD box for my son's room, as he didn't have any in the truck, so I get to have somebody come out again for a three hour window next week. Anyway, I don't see how an exposed line at my house would impact the entire Tampa Bay, since others are getting hiccups too, but maybe replacing the line will help me. Don't know about the other 600,000+ customers.

Last edited:
One thing I recomend to help you get faster service when you call, call in for the business class modem problem (they get same day service calls if its before 3 at least here in cfl) then when the tech gets their explain the whole problem. With the extra cost of business class comes better support you dont have to wait in the normal que or people. Just a suggestion if you need someone there 'right now'

About your problem:

I think we had this discussion before (maybe it was me and jc) but as I told him just becasue 10 people in the city are experianceing the same problem does not mean they are related. If it is as he said a problem with the line being chewed that could really explain why you have the pixelation. Water is a killer to the digital band (higher freq) usally if you have aproblem on the system that the lowband is fine but the high band is wiped out 90% of the time its water in a device, (or water damaged cable) So that could very well explain why you were having the problem. The majority of the problems we have at houses are usally related to the 'drop' because that is the weakest point. Its outside, affected by the elements and seems to be a landscapers favorite item to hit with the edger :) Let us know how it does over the next few days. Sometimes, ive been to locations saw something that was clearly a problem, fixed it, but the customer later still experianced some problem. Sometimes fixing one problem makes another problem seem worse, so keep an eye on it.

One thing I recomend to help you get faster service when you call, call in for the business class modem problem (they get same day service calls if its before 3 at least here in cfl) then when the tech gets their explain the whole problem. With the extra cost of business class comes better support you dont have to wait in the normal que or people. Just a suggestion if you need someone there 'right now'

Thanks for the advice... I normally do this but there was no rush, as it is/was an intermittent problem and I had previously called to bitch about the TV. So I figured I'd report it to residential. (read on...)

Sometimes, ive been to locations saw something that was clearly a problem, fixed it, but the customer later still experianced some problem. Sometimes fixing one problem makes another problem seem worse, so keep an eye on it.

Dude... you seriously jinxed me. Everything was working fine, no hiccups or anything after the guy left. This morning, at 9:30AM, while watching the lovely repackaged Investigation Discovery (previously Discovery People, Discovery Civilization, and then the dreadful Discovery Times when NYTimes bought into them) the screen went black and sure enough my Internet was down. I purposely didn't reboot the modem and got right on the horn with RR biz. During the phone call the TV came back on but not the Internet. I asked him to hurry up and test the modem before Internet came back online. He said there was a problem with the power level to the upload and download and that they would need to send somebody out on Monday. Fortunately, I got the same time window as the installation of my son's HD (non-DVR) cable box. It will be two guys coming but we only have to wait around for the same three hour window.

haha... so you jinxed me man.... problem's still here. I knew it had to be something else because of the past problems but the squirrel thing seemed feasible for part of it.

The odd thing is, it seems to drop out at the same time or roughly so each time. Everything goes out at 9:30AM or so for five minutes, as if that is the exact time the douchebag down the street turns his HAM radio on each morning, interfering with BHN. haha.

Changes for FEB 1?????

Winegard DS-2076 (30") plate too big for Commdeck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)