at9 and deck post mounting

Status
Please reply by conversation.

theslag

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 12, 2004
I think i asked this once before..but can this dish be mounted on my deck post just like my old 3lnb dish?? I have direct tv coming out saturday to replace the old 3lnb for the new dish so i can get HD locals. I hope the answer is yes, because if not, the install is not going to be able to install anything....

Thanks!!

RB

Without seeing what you are calling a deck post I would say yes if it is solidly anchored. I have 1 mounted on the corner post of a porch railing and it has been very stable but the post it is mounted to is stable.

I have a deck built in my back yard...and my 3lnb dish is bolted on a 4x4 deck post that is cemented 4 feet in the ground.

Depends on how you have the 3 LNB mounted. I have the my 3LNB mounted on a piece of 1*8. I have another 1*8 bolted on the other side of the uprights. Kind of a 1*8 sandwich with the uprights for the deck railing in between. The span across this part on the railing is about 5 ft so this has the stability IMO to hold the 5LNB dish. If I can figure out how to post a picture, I will show you. I also have D* coming out on 25Feb06 to install. I realize that the new dish is heavier, but I think if I can stabilize with one mono-pole, I should be ok. This is mounted on the south side of the condo in a protected area from the wind. If anyone has additions or ideas please let me know.

Attachments

• 100_2325.JPG
    100_2325.JPG
    472 KB · Views: 243
  • 100_2326.JPG
    100_2326.JPG
    405.8 KB · Views: 228
  • 100_2327.JPG
    100_2327.JPG
    741.9 KB · Views: 241
  • 100_2328.JPG
    100_2328.JPG
    402.6 KB · Views: 223
my 3lnb is plate mounted right on the 4x4 support post...if the mounting plate of the 5lnb is the same as the 3lnb, I should be good to go..if not, it has to go back...personal, i do not want something attached to the house or the roof...

the base is the same sixe but they will install 1 or 2 support arms to help stabilize the dish.

Eric Goempel said:
the base is the same sixe but they will install 1 or 2 support arms to help stabilize the dish.

Eric,

Can you give me any extra pointers?

The base or foot on the AT9 is larger than the 3 LNB dish. I don’t have the exact size but it’s around 5 X 7” and will probably overhang your 4 X 4 post. Someone mentioned the exact size in another post and it’s too cold for me to climb and measure mine right now.
Bob
Eric Goempel said:

javahh said:
Eric,

Can you give me any extra pointers?

Sure, the easiest way is to follow the directions in my sig to my site and open the page with the pictures of my dish, showing the extra arms. As for the base of the AT9 arm, I still believe it is the same size as the 3LNB unit was (not 100% sure), but the arm is bigger around. If the base gives you problems fitting your 4X4 then simply drill new mounting holes in the base, that is what I did. Mine was not a self install but I did help the guy install it, On the 2nd night it was out there we were hit with 50+ MPH winds and I watched HD channels off the dish with zero issues!!!!

Have the installer put 2 support arms on if possible. I believe the more support from different directions is always a good thing!!!

The size is not an issue to me. but I had a BUD c-band in the yard for years. plus living in the country on 5+ acres of land helps.

Eric Goempel said:
still believe it is the same size as the 3LNB unit was (not 100% sure), but the arm is bigger around. If the base gives you problems fitting your 4X4 then simply drill new mounting holes in the base, that is what I did. .

Bad advice, Bad idea. Defeats the whole purpose of the pattern.

grydlok said:
Bad advice, Bad idea. Defeats the whole purpose of the pattern.

Bad advice? based on what? Were you part of the engineering group that designed the base? It is not rocket science! the purpose of the base is to keep lateral movement of the dish. Where the bolts are inserted is not as important as the quality of the mechanical connection to the structure the dish is mounted to.

The support arms will do more to prevent lateral movement than the base. If D* was that concerned that the base was not modified to fit the install then they would have put signs on the base like the ones they put on the back of the dish telling you not to adjust them!!

Its fine to say you do not agree, but to call it bad advise is not correct.

Eric Goempel said:
Bad advice? based on what? Were you part of the engineering group that designed the base? It is not rocket science! the purpose of the base is to keep lateral movement of the dish. Where the bolts are inserted is not as important as the quality of the mechanical connection to the structure the dish is mounted to.

The support arms will do more to prevent lateral movement than the base. If D* was that concerned that the base was not modified to fit the install then they would have put signs on the base like the ones they put on the back of the dish telling you not to adjust them!!

Its fine to say you do not agree, but to call it bad advise is not correct.

you where aready wrong saying once it was the same size, than you repeated said wrong infor with a "not sure " to try to cover yourself instead of just saying im wrong. Now you are saying just drill your own pattern in the base. Doesn't that defeat the entire Engineering teams idea. To make sure the dish is secure??? The support arm are not to prevent lateral movement. If you where an installer before I would wonder if you where a hack.

grydlok said:
you where aready wrong saying once it was the same size, than you repeated said wrong infor with a "not sure " to try to cover yourself instead of just saying im wrong. Now you are saying just drill your own pattern in the base. Doesn't that defeat the entire Engineering teams idea. To make sure the dish is secure??? The support arm are not to prevent lateral movement. If you where an installer before I would wonder if you where a hack.
I agree, drilling more holes is kind of stupid.

Last edited:
Mounting an AT9 to a deck would depend n the particular situation. In the case of a wooden deck with a wooden top rail, that is usually a horizontally attached 2x6, I'd probably dispense with the supplied mounting arm altogether.

I'd use a six foot pole, exactly 2 inches in diameter. The holes of the supplied mounting foot would be duplicated on the pole and fastened to the foot with the bolts supplied. Then, using a Dish Network SuperDish support arm kit, I's dispense with the struts and fasten the mounting ears from the ends to the two positions on the collar. The collar with the mounting ears would be placed in the inside corner of the "V" formed by the two top rails where they intersect. Two heavy duty lag screws would go through the two ears horizontally into the inside corner of the top rail. With the base going through the collar, the post would then be plumbed on both the x and y axis. Then the foot would be lagged to the inside base of the deck.

In this case, you are using the structure of the deck, with minimal hardware to make one really strong mount. The corner of the deck is one rock solid structure.

wolfman said:
I agree, drilling more holes is kind of stupid.

I don't see a problem with drilling different holes as long as you secure the dish in some other manner. There are lots of differnet situations out there. Just look at the pictures on Eric's website. I wouldn't have done that myself, but apparently it works. There's more than one way to skin a cat, or mount a dish.

-JustBob

grydlok said:

OK, sorry that I did not get out a tape measure, but at a glance the 2 bases looked the same size, neither of mine are mounted to a piece of wood so I had no impression of the old one to compare the new on to. I am not here to get into a pissing match but I have a Mechanical Engineering degree and I am very aware of the issues of drilling holes into the base of a satellite arm. I have hung my 240 lb body from the arm and there is no issue with compromised design integrity. I also have 2 support arms on my dish, one on the vertical axis to aid in downward support, and a second mounted 90 degrees on the horizontal axis for LATERAL support. IF you have another reason for mounting a support arm at a 90 degree angle I would LOVE to hear it.:D

Fill me in on what the total surface area of the mount surface is, then remove the area removed by drilling new holes and tell me the resulting surface area is compromised to anywhere near the failure point. what is the tensile strength of the material used in the base? If you can not answer these questions then do not judge the manner my dish was installed or what advice I give others. BTW I was anything but a "hack" installer:mad: . You are the one looking for any reason to get out of all non vanilla installs.

Whoa...Whoa....fellas...................What's up with the bashing of each others ability's. Are we all adults here. Come on guys, this is a forum to share ideas not abuse each other. I thank all that have contributed to the question that I asked.

I am not an installer (anymore) I am disabled and try to help people out, but get VERY upset when someone tries to shoot down my advice with no knowledge of what they are talking about.

Sorry javahh, just tring to help.

Eric Goempel said:
I am not an installer (anymore) I am disabled and try to help people out, but get VERY upset when someone tries to shoot down my advice with no knowledge of what they are talking about.

Sorry javahh, just tring to help.

Absolutely no reason to apologize. and everyones help is greatly appreciated

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Why D* for my Dad?

DVR and service

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)