Apple TV+ Is the New HBO

But don't you feel you are getting less value?I mean seriously the content and quality these services offer just seem to go down while the price goes up
I guess my answer to this is "not yet." It depends on the service of course. MAX is the one I would definitely answer "yes" to. Of course, I get that included with my AT&T Fiber service, so it hasn't cost me anything extra for a while. Prime Video would be a "sometimes" except for the fact that is it just a small part of my Prime subscription, so it is hard to pin down the actual value. For Paramount+, Netflix, Disney/Hulu, AppleTV+, and even Peacock, my wife and I regularly watch good content on all these for less than we used to pay for Dish/DirecTV, so it still feels like we're ahead from a financial perspective.

I feel the same way about Cable/Satellite TV, price goes up every year, get less and less new content.

But since streaming services has all the same new content from paid Live TV plus the streaming shows and movies, in a much better quality, with a much less expensive price, it was a easy decision to drop live tv.

I find that it is worth it, I went over what I pay for streaming, I am amazed I get this much content and spend so much less.

These are all at commercials free and 4K tiers ( Peacock and ESPN+), when there is a deal, I take advantage of it.

Hulu Bundle $25 a month
Netflix $23 a month
Paramount with Showtime $60 for the year, so $5 a month
MAX/HBO $139 a year, so $11.60 a month
Peacock $20 a year, so $1.66 a month
Apple TV+ $30 a year, so $2.50 a month ( Costco special a couple of years ago, bought 6 years worth)

So all that for under $69 a month.
Oh I absolutely feel the same way about cable/sat and have for years.
The problem that began with cable/sat and the broadcasters has now spilled over into streaming.Ads lower quality content higher prices.Basically what I'm getting at is that eventually streaming will become just like cable/sat.

I mean look at all the bundling these cable/sat companies do,and how has that worked out for them?Problem is the same ones running the cable/sat companies are now involved monetarily with these streaming companies.Pretty much the writing is on the wall.Streaming will be just like the old cable/sat.They'll squeeze every penny they can till the well goes dry sadly.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Oh I absolutely feel the same way about cable/sat and have for years.
The problem that began with cable/sat and the broadcasters has now spilled over into streaming
nope, not even close
Except for Peacock and ESPN+, which I only use during Football Season, all of the other services I have are commercial free.
lower quality content
No it is not, maybe that is your opinion, but I find streaming content to be a much higher quality then Cable Channels/Satellite shows, if you pay attention, all of the buzz worthy types of shows have been streaming.

Then we have the higher quality Video and Sound, 1080P/4K/Dolby Vision/DD+/Atmos.

If you want 4K, it has to be streaming, 4K on Traditional Services are a joke.
higher prices.Basically what I'm getting at is that eventually streaming will become just like cable/sat.
Yes it probably will, everything goes up every year.

But for now, there is a massive gap between Paid Live TV and Streaming, as long as both exists, there will always be that gap.
I mean look at all the bundling these cable/sat companies do,and how has that worked out for them?Problem is the same ones running the cable/sat companies are now involved monetarily with these streaming companies.Pretty much the writing is on the wall.Streaming will be just like the old cable/sat.They'll squeeze every penny they can till the well goes dry sadly.
So, in 10 years, you might be correct, but right now and for the next few years until Cable/Satellite dies off, I will enjoy the pricing.

nope, not even close

Except for Peacock and ESPN+, which I only use during Football Season, all of the other services I have are commercial free.

No it is not, maybe that is your opinion, but I find streaming content to be a much higher quality then Cable Channels/Satellite shows, if you pay attention, all of the buzz worthy types of shows have been streaming.

Then we have the higher quality Video and Sound, 1080P/4K/Dolby Vision/DD+/Atmos.

If you want 4K, it has to be streaming, 4K on Traditional Services are a joke.

Yes it probably will, everything goes up every year.

But for now, there is a massive gap between Paid Live TV and Streaming, as long as both exists, there will always be that gap.

So, in 10 years, you might be correct, but right now and for the next few years until Cable/Satellite dies off, I will enjoy the pricing.
We'll just have to agree to disagree.Everyone I know complains about ads on all the streaming services now,and they also complain about less quality and less content.

Lemme give ya an example......You know how scripted shows used to have 24 or more episodes or more per season.How many they average now?I'll save you the time of looking it up....6.... 6 episodes per season lol I mean come on

But again I'm glad you're happy with streaming and everything is peachy keen.For me and many,or should I say most I know,it's done and went off the rails.

Oh and I see you touting 4k and dolby atmos....you have to pay extra for that in many cases.

Oh and I see you touting 4k and dolby atmos....you have to pay extra for that in many cases.
For some services, not all.

My prices above include the upgrade to 4K.

Lemme give ya an example......You know how scripted shows used to have 24 or more episodes or more per season.How many they average now?I'll save you the time of looking it up....6.... 6 episodes per season lol I mean come on

I think this is hard to quantify without some serious data analysis, so I am just going to provide my gut feeling. Most of the streaming shows I watch are between 6-12 episodes per season. While I do miss the days of 24+ episode seasons where I got new episodes of my favorite shows more regularly, I also recall having "dry spells" throughout they year when nothing new was on. The upside to that was watching reruns of the shows I did like during the dry spells which reinforced story details and character development -- something that I don't really get without intentionally deciding to rewatch a streaming show.

With streaming, I have such a backlog of things I want to watch, that dry spells will probably never happen. That suggests to me that there is more quality programming on now than before, at least what my tastes lead me to consider "quality programming." The shorter seasons work better for some shows than others. Some stories need to breathe more than a shorter season allows while the tighter writing required helps others.

As for the prices, I am surprised they haven't gone up faster given the money the studios lost during the strikes and the deals they had to make to end the strikes. Not that I want the prices to go up, but entertainment seems to be one of those market segments that will always be more expensive than people think it should be.

The shorter seasons work better for some shows than others. Some stories need to breathe more than a shorter season allows while the tighter writing required helps others.
I agree with this - I think tighter writing is definitely encouraged and i do not like procedurals, so I am able to get a nice story arc without having to watch 24 episodes of something wherein 18 of them are just "murderer of the week" without any character development

I also think streaming has led to less FOMO for me. Back in the 90s, i would basically record everything for a couple weeks (VCRs!!!) because you never knew if something was going to be good or not. Now, it's a matter of just listening to reviews and such and then coming to it when you know it's worth it. The fear of picking the wrong show back in the day was real!

Last edited:
I agree with this - I think tighter writing is definitely encourage and i do not like procedurals, so I am able to get a nice story arc without having to watch 24 episodes of something wherein 18 of them are just "murderer of the week" without any character development
While I prefer the shorter season, the long wait till the next season drives me crazy, some shows, even before the strike, was a two year wait.

As far as Network shows, this upcoming season, new shows only get a order for 10 episodes, returning shows, 13-20 episodes.

They can no longer produce 22-24 episodes because they are not making enough money to do so.
I also think streaming has led to less FOMO for me. Back in the 90s
The dark times for TV, no DVR, dealing with the VHS was a pain.

Article.Thoughts about streaming prices

Real vMVPD US subscribers totals