Anyone Order a iPhone 4 yet?

I wonder when the mass exodus from AT&T is supposed to start? Wasn't the iPhone supposed to be killed by the Android by now?
:)

Isn't it obvious? Raise termination fees a month before the latest iphone, then allow everyone who's contract expires in the next 6-8 months the ability to upgrade early, locking them into another two years? This is why they didn't expect an exodus, they're re-upping all the contracts they can, and at a higher term fee.

The Incredible is still backordered, and the EVO broke all of Sprint's records selling the first 3 days worth of the Instinct and the Palm Pre, combined, and multiplied by 3, on it's opening day, triggering shortages.

At this point the "Facetime" video calling is Wifi only....
It would be interesting to compare required bandwidth relative to the image quality (compression/codec, in other words)
for the free software based proprietary video conferencing systems: Skype, GoogleTalk and FaceTime and then to the standard SIP...

Diogen.

AT&T reports they sold 600k of the iPhones on the first day. But, I do not know what Apple sold. AT&T apparently had an allocation, those were/are shipped to AT&T and AT&T then ships to customers or store (for in store pickup). They are also supposed to have another allocation for sale in stores for opening day for those that line up.

I do not know if it is the same as with the 3GS, but mine came direct from China when ordered from the Apple store.

Isn't it obvious? Raise termination fees a month before the latest iphone, then allow everyone who's contract expires in the next 6-8 months the ability to upgrade early, locking them into another two years? This is why they didn't expect an exodus, they're re-upping all the contracts they can, and at a higher term fee.

The Incredible is still backordered, and the EVO broke all of Sprint's records selling the first 3 days worth of the Instinct and the Palm Pre, combined, and multiplied by 3, on it's opening day, triggering shortages.

And all of those pissed off people who can't stand AT&T and are just waiting for the competition to have a good smart phone to compete with the iPhone suddenly forgot that they were pissed off and signed up for 2 more years with AT&T accidentally? I'm not buying it. I'm sure there are people who will leave AT&T, especially in New York and San Fransisco where some real problems have occurred. Beyond that I don't personally know of anyone who is planning to joining any mass exodus. Selling 600K phones in a single day seems to indicate that most iPhone customers are happy.

Maybe we all hope that the new antenna design will solve all our call problems. I have had very good luck with my 3GS as far as dropped calls go. Family members with the 3G (non s) version have had call drop issues. Maybe the new super big antenna will finally solve a lot of the issues.

iTunes 9.2 was released today. This is the version of iTunes that will allow sinc of iPhone 4, download of iOS4, and folder organization.

I was finally able to get the Apple store to accept my pre-order. As noted earlier, the Ship by date has slipped to July 14th. No first day reviews from me!

I got the word from my wife already. Since her company has forced Blackberry on her with company supplied phones, as soon as Verizon gets iphone, she wants to get one for her personal phone. She likes the iphone our daughter has but doesn't like the constant dropped calls.

Actually, I believe that Verizon will have issues too once they get all those iphone customers and much of the problem will simply go away once LTE is ubiquitous for both Verizon and AT&T anyway. Then, we'll be back to simply comparing service and rates. Technical performance will be similar in most areas.

Iand the EVO broke all of Sprint's records selling the first 3 days worth of the Instinct and the Palm Pre, combined, and multiplied by 3, on it's opening day, triggering shortages.

Except for the fact that that sales report was incorrect and Sprint issued a correction.

Sprint misstated EVO 4G sales, by a lot -- Engadget

Remember when Sprint said this:

"The total number of HTC EVO 4G devices sold on launch day was three times the number of Samsung Instinct and Palm Pre devices sold over their first three days on the market combined."

Nuh uh, it's wrong. Sprint just issued a correction in the wee hours stating that first day EVO 4G sales were, in reality, "in line with" the number of Instincts and Pres sold over their first three days on the market combined. Still pretty good if that translates to the 150,000 units sold as some analysts are touting; even better if Sprint can restock shelves.

AT&T reports they sold 600k of the iPhones on the first day. But, I do not know what Apple sold. AT&T apparently had an allocation, those were/are shipped to AT&T and AT&T then ships to customers or store (for in store pickup). They are also supposed to have another allocation for sale in stores for opening day for those that line up.

I do not know if it is the same as with the 3GS, but mine came direct from China when ordered from the Apple store.

The 600,000 number was actually from Apple not AT&T.

600,000 iPhone 4s pre-ordered, Apple apologizes for issues -- Engadget

We were amazed last night to see both Apple and AT&T sell out of iPhone 4 pre-order units despite the sustained ordering issues, and now we know why: Apple managed to move 600,000 iPhones in just a single day. Yes, that's a lot -- Apple says it's the largest number of pre-orders it's ever taken in one day, and AT&T says it's ten times as many orders as it took for the iPhone 3GS. It's not all sunshine and roses, though; Apple's also apologizing to the large numbers of people who simply couldn't get through yesterday, and AT&T's suspended pre-orders entirely until the device is in stock. We're guessing AT&T might also be putting the stopper on things while it gets those pesky security issues under control, but there's a chance the carrier is just trying to deal with the insane order volume coming from Apple's servers -- it served up 13 million eligibility checks yesterday, shattering the previous record by three times. All in all, it looks like Apple has a hot item on its hands here -- almost too hot to handle. Here's Apple's full statement:

Yesterday Apple and its carrier partners took pre-orders for more than 600,000 of Apple's new iPhone 4. It was the largest number of pre-orders Apple has ever taken in a single day and was far higher than we anticipated, resulting in many order and approval system malfunctions. Many customers were turned away or abandoned the process in frustration. We apologize to everyone who encountered difficulties, and hope that they will try again or visit an Apple or carrier store once the iPhone 4 is in stock.

Update: Looks like that "ships by" date just slipped once more from July 2nd to July 14th. Yikes.

Did I see correctly where they doubled the RAM in the new I-Phone?

Macrumors.com reported it.

iPhone 4 Confirmed to Have 512MB of RAM (Twice the iPad and 3GS) - Mac Rumors

Since the launch of the original iPhone, Apple has made efforts to hide some of the actual tech specs of the device from consumers. Apple has never advertised or even published the processor speed or amount of RAM found in the iPhone. Arguably, Apple is trying to shield customers from these technical distractions and instead trying to focus on overall functionality.

More technically inclined customers, however, still love to know what they have to work with. The original iPhone and iPhone 3G contained 128MB of RAM, while the iPhone 3GS was boosted to 256MB of RAM. Similarly, the iPad contains 256MB of RAM. This discrepancy offers a technical explanation why Apple is not supporting iOS 4 features such as multi-tasking on the original and 3G iPhone -- there simply isn't enough RAM.

We have since heard that the upcoming iPhone 4's RAM has again been upgraded. This will bring it to a total of 512MB of RAM, twice as much as the 3GS and iPad. This number actually contradicts tear down photos of a prototype iPhone 4 that was leaked to the internet. An analysis of that prototype device showed it only carried 256MB of RAM. The 512MB figure, however, does agree with a Digitimes report from May 17th that confirmed a 960x640 screen resolution, thinner display, and indeed 512MB of RAM. We had heard that Apple confirmed this 512MB figure during one of the WWDC sessions last week, and have now verified this. The session it was revealed in is now available (Session 147, Advanced Performance Optimization on iPhone OS, pt 2) for registered Apple developers.

The added RAM should help overall performance and multi-tasking on the new iPhone 4. It could also explain why the iMovie App that Apple introduced at WWDC will only run on the iPhone 4. Apple has said iMovie will only run on the iPhone 4 and not the 3GS or even the iPad. It seems conceivable that it actually makes use of the extra RAM offered by the iPhone 4.

We have been having a lot of fun with the video chat. They need an app that lets you fake the image. I have some luck using the back back camera pointed at my monitor to put up avatars so it looks like the avatar is calling. If you remember the Jetsons when the mom got a phone call before the makeup was on she had an avatar that would do the talking and look like her. It could be really entertaining.

We have been having a lot of fun with the video chat. They need an app that lets you fake the image. I have some luck using the back back camera pointed at my monitor to put up avatars so it looks like the avatar is calling. If you remember the Jetsons when the mom got a phone call before the makeup was on she had an avatar that would do the talking and look like her. It could be really entertaining.

Now that's pretty clever!!!! My oh my. I am old enough to remember the Jetsons.:(

AT&T is sold out... Apple is not. I was able to get one, but I need to go to the Apple store and pick it up.

Scott,when you get done could you please give us a review of the new iphone 4.0 the pros and cons of it.i want to get one but am deciding on the iphone and the new droidx coming out soon.anyones else pros and cons of teh new i phone would be appreciated

Cellular Souths big android push

iPhone 4 iPod EQ

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts