Anyone have a surplus DVB-S receiver cheap?

oldsmobile

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Apr 14, 2013
Central PA
Hey, folks. My venerable Viewsat VS2000 receiver has died; its number display is wonky and it no longer puts out audio. This is the one I use in the living room for music only, as it's attached to a small stereo system. If anyone has an old DVB-S receiver that has a remote control, front panel channel up/down buttons, and a display, please reach out to me. Thanks!

....If anyone has an old DVB-S receiver ...
For little more than the cost to ship an old unit, you could order a brand new state-of-the art satellite receiver from China and have it delivered to your home for free. They are advertised on ebay for about $30 delivered. I learned this when I tried to resurrect my old GSP microHD. I'm satisfied with the performance of my new unit.

For little more than the cost to ship an old unit, you could order a brand new state-of-the art satellite receiver from China and have it delivered to your home for free. They are advertised on ebay for about $30 delivered. I learned this when I tried to resurrect my old GSP microHD. I'm satisfied with the performance of my new unit.

I can vouch for that. I am very happy with my GTMedia V8 Nova Blue receiver, but I have ordered the "latest and greatest" model as well, which should arrive Wednesday.

Well, I ordered a "Koqit" V5H receiver from an ebay seller, as it seemed to click all the needs: channel display, channel buttons on the unit itself, AV out. I blind scanned 101W and it came up with what one would expect, and a single radio channel. There's no way to edit PIDs, so unless they can give me the password to their protected download (KOQIT GX6605 Editor imagetool_V3.43 - Set Top Box Manufacturer Designer Koqit Technology), this will be a Not Recommended receiver.

As far as I can tell, there is no option in the receiver itself to copy or modify channels. Waiting to hear back from the manufacturer. I want those music channels!

No word from the seller or manufacturer regarding access to a channel editor for the Koqit box. I think this unit is one that is really not suited for the FTA community here due to that major flaw. So, my search shall continue.

No word from the seller or manufacturer regarding access to a channel editor for the Koqit box....
Perhaps you need this: Koquit GX6605 Editor Imagetool V3.43.
But it appears you need to pay for this editing software; it is password protected until you do.

ADDED: Sorry, I see you already discovered this. You just need to get (pay for??) the password.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Yes, you suggested the GTMedia box, if I remember correctly. It doesn't have channel changing buttons on the unit itself as far as I can see, and that's a requirement for my application.
So what will you do? It seems your options are to change your requirements, continue to look for an old receiver that won't be able to receive some transponders or do nothing.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
So what will you do? It seems your options are to change your requirements, continue to look for an old receiver that won't be able to receive some transponders or do nothing.
I'm inclined to still look for an old receiver. This application is just for music, with the output going to a small stereo setup. There is no TV in this scenario. For a music system, I don't care about other transponders. My wife uses this as well, and she appreciates simplicity of up/down channel buttons, and I want her to be happy. So my search continues for an acceptable receiver.

I have a Viewsat VS 2000 Ultra - used, not powered up in over a decade, but in its original box and with remote control - that I will donate as-is to the cause if you are willing to cover shipping from Canada to your location. Note that shipping options in Canada are notoriously pricey, though, so the delivered price that cyberham noted above will seem reasonable by comparison.

Initial arc alignment question