Anybody in Northeastern US?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jwhalen123

Original poster
Jan 3, 2006
Hi, I'm a newbie to this forum and FTA. I grew up with my dads BUD so I have a little background knowledge in C Band and Ku Band. I'm thinking of setting up a minidish (30") in Waterbury, VT. What are my chances of getting your normal channels like dish network and directtv get? Also, is dish network programming on the Ku band? If so, do the have FTA transmissions? Can I do this without having a motorized dish or do they usually come with the motor anyways? Thanks in advance for your help and patience!

-Jeff

WELCOME to the SatelliteGuys.US FTA forum. Those are pay channels/satellites and you will NOT get them with a FTA system. There are one or two channels and radio that is in the clear but thats it. You will need at least a 30" dish a KU LNBF and receiver for all the rest of the LEGAL FTA channels up there.

Thank You! Does Fox network have any FTA sites that I would be able to pickup in the Northeast if I had minimal obstruction? Gotta be able to get "The Family Guy" and "House" haha.

Also, I'm looking into getting this system with an upgraded 30" dish. Will this system work for me? And does the price sound good or does it raise some concerns?

I am in western NY state and get good recption with a 30 inch. To answer your network question, most of the networks are on FTA at any given time. However, they come and go so you should not make a purchase based on a particular network being available or not in my opinion. With free programming there is certainly no guarantee.

I second what Tracy said. You can pretty much always find the major networks somewhere.

Hi jwhalen, nice to see a fellow VTer in the FTA area :-D I live about 40 minutes from you in Waterville. If you decide to go FTA and need help with install, give me a yell and i will be glad to help.

As noted above, most of the networks are FTA on one satellite or another. I highly recommend a motorized setup for the 30" dish. Heck, if you can get away with it, you should install a BUD (Big Useful Dish- 6' dish or larger) then you can subscribe to the channels you want that are not FTA. I see BUDs for free (take it away) in the Free Press and Buyers digest all the time. For more info about BUDs look in the c-band forum.

One thing to make sure of is your LOS (line of sight) to the satellites you want to recieve. One of the most popular satellites is g10, in VT the elevation to G10 is only 18 degrees, so make sure you dont have any mountains in the way ;-)

Have fun with your new addiction, er should i say hobby ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

PBS and some picture stops

new pansat 3500s setup problem

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)