Antenna Upgrade Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

GaryPen

Rich or poor, it's good to have money.
Original poster
Supporting Founder
My company currently has a single LNB dish with a single feed connected to a multiswitch feeding 6 receivers.

Recently, we upgraded 3 of those receivers, plus the TV's they were connected to, to HD. However, we obviously aren't getting any HD programming to watch with that old dish on the roof.

So, I recommended to the powers that be that they also upgrade the antenna. I think I understand what needs to be done. But, I wanted to check with the D* experts, as I am far more familiar with E* HW.

Can I simply replace the single LNB dish with a 5-LNB AU-9 dish with SWM switch on the roof, and an SW-8 splitter and PSU at the equipment rack, utilizing an existing single run of RG-6 from the roof to the rack?

Thanks.

You could get by with the SWM 3 LNB that sees 99/101/103. The 5 LNB is really only used for folks who have either Spanish programming or their markets locals are on 119 which are mainly smaller markets.

SWM LNB has one output. Run the cable from the LNB to the Power inserter then to the SW8 splitter. As long as the SD only receivers are D12's you will be fine. If they are other models then we have issues and would have to use the SWM 8 multiswitch. Were any of the HD receivers DVR's? Reason I ask is while they only need one line from the SW8 splitter they take up 2 spots. SO as example I have 2 DVR's and a HD receiver. Even though only 3 cables come off the SW8 splitter I have "used" 5 spots.

SWM LNB-------coax cable-------------------------------power inserter--------------SWM8 splitter---outputs to receivers

Last edited:
couple ways you can do it
-upgrade the receivers as you mention
-If you decide not to upgrade the receivers then you would have to go a different route. You can get the 3 LNB slimline dish but it would have to be the one with 4 outputs. Like this dish
DIRECTV AU9-SL3 Three LNB Ka/Ku Slim Line Dish Antenna and SL-3 LNB Combo (AU9-SL3) - DIRECTV Slim Line - AU9-SL3 -

You'd have to run all 4 lines to the SWM8 multiswitch. This is what it looks like
DIRECTV SWM-8 Single Wire Multi-Switch (8 Channel) (SWM-8) - DIRECTV - SWM-8 -

It has one output for a splitter for the 3 HD units and 3 "Legacy" outputs for the older receivers. But if the receivers (the new ones) are not DVR's you could use a 6x8 multiswitch instead
Zinwell WB68 DIRECTV Approved Wide Band Frequency (Ku/Ka) 6x8 Multiswitch (WB68) - Zinwell - WB68 -
If you go the 6x8 route you would need BBC converters on the HD units. If I remember right, Directv will supply them for free

Another option would be to keep the existing 18" dish up for those 3 receivers and put up a new SWM for the HD units....might cost less because those SWM multiswitches are spendy

I guess on a side note, when you got the receivers did you buy (lease) them from a retailer or D* directly? D* should have put a new dish up

ok pics of install
1st is the SWM8 multiswitch
2nd is the 6x8 multiswitch

Attachments

• 6x8 option.jpg
    6x8 option.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 125
  • multiswicth setup.jpg
    multiswicth setup.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 144
Thanks. The SD receivers are very old Sony models, I believe. This is the antenna I was thinking of getting.
DIRECTV AU9-SL3-SWM-B-PWS Three LNB Ka/Ku Slim Line Dish Antenna w/ Long and Short Brace and SL-3-SWM LNB Combo (AU9-SL3-SWM-B-PWS) - DIRECTV Slim Line - AU9-SL3-SWM-B-PWS -

Would I need to add SWM-8 switch? Where would it go in the signal path? I'm wondering if I should just upgrade the other 3 receivers instead.

If you kept the old units on the 18" dish you could use that setup (even a 4 way splitter instead of an 8 way) for the new receivers and all it would require is one more line from the roof

Here is a pic

Attachments

• 2 dish setup.jpg
    2 dish setup.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 103
It's a commercial account. We have to pay for HW and installation due to the way the account was first set up. So, I think I will recommend they upgrade the other 3 receivers to avoid paying a cabling company to pull new multiple RG6 runs.

Also, as far as the HD locals go, when I check on there website, each channel's description begins with "A3". Does that signify anything? If I can get away with the sw3 antenna, I'd rather do that.

Is there a list of which DMA's require the SW5?

It's a commercial account. We have to pay for HW and installation due to the way the account was first set up. So, I think I will recommend they upgrade the other 3 receivers to avoid paying a cabling company to pull new multiple RG6 runs.

oh ok. Yeah that would be the easiest instead of running a new cable

Also, as far as the HD locals go, when I check on there website, each channel's description begins with "A3". Does that signify anything? If I can get away with the sw3 antenna, I'd rather do that.

Is there a list of which DMA's require the SW5?

A3 means it is in HD so it comes from the 99 or 103 satellite

as for the 119 locals the only ones in California that I can see is Fresno and Chico. The rest of the markets the SD locals are on 101. If you are getting locals right now on the old receivers then you dont need the 5 LNB

Thanks. Good stuff.

Is an SL3 easy to align than an SL5? If it's the same level of difficulty, then would it be worth the extra $10 to have the capability to receive the other two sats, just as a sort of future-proof deal?

I didnt aim my dish when I upgraded to HD but I assume the SL3 would be easier than the 5 as fewer satellites to try and peak. But lots of folks have done a SL5 with no issues. You lock 101 then see if 110 & 119 show good, then fine tune for 99 & 103
110 is vacant right now (D* only owns 3 Transponders on 110) and we dont know what they're gonna do. We heard maybe international channels
119 has the small market locals and the Spanish pack channels. The 2 big Spanish channels (Univision and Galavision) are on 101. There are a couple religious channels in English on 119 too

In markets where the locals arent on 119 or someone doesnt buy the Spanish package, they install SL3's only

OK then. I'll just get the SL3. Id D* adds something to the other 2 sats later that we need, I suppose I can always just swap out the LNB, now that we'll have the AU-9 dish itself installed.

Thanks for the advice!

OK then. I'll just get the SL3. Id D* adds something to the other 2 sats later that we need, I suppose I can always just swap out the LNB, now that we'll have the AU-9 dish itself installed.
yeah thats all you'd have to do. Swap out for a SL5 LNB

Thanks for the advice!

no problem. Always happy to help :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Anybody know how many DTV receivers they allow on 1 account?

Locals Giving A Problem

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts