Another used gear question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

imahawki

Original poster
Aug 19, 2004
I bought a Samsung SIR-T160 on Ebay. I have no intent of getting DirecTV. I want to use it to tune in OTA HD and regular NTSC over cable because I have a projector so I need a tuner to even watch regular TV. I cannot get through the setup without an access card. What do I need if I'm never going to use DirecTV or did I totally screw up on my purchase? There are P4 and P5 access cards on ebay as well (some say "only tunes in the demo channel"). I've been told that I can go and set my "dish type" to none, but I'm getting an error that there is no access card. Will one of these cards get me through setup to tell it that I have no dish or not?

For what you want you will have to subscribe to Directv. The access card has to be MARRIED to the receiver serial number. The only way I know that you can get the card married to the receiver is to subscribe to programming, for new customers the minimum is a 1 year commitment. Opcion Extra at $26.99 is the lowest priced package to meet that commitment it has 50 English channels. If that was a new receiver it would come with a card and out of the box it could tune ATSC and NTSC but you probably would have had to committ to a 1 year subscription when you bought it. A Samsung SIR-T151 would be better for your need it is a standalone OTA tuner. :)

AH, are you serious? There is NO way to get this thing up and running? What if I put someone elses card in to set it up? The cards on Ebay wont work? Damn, I just paid $200 for this thing!

If you can get a clean card to put into it, you could temporarily add your receiver to a "friend's" D* account, which WILL marry the new card to your receiver, then cancel it the next day. BUT, it will also cause your friend to have to re-up a 1 year contract to TC, but you CAN still remove the extra receiver from the account the next day.

Sorry, dont have any close enough friends with a dish to do that. So basically if I'm SOL I need to know so I can go back to ebay with it.

imahawki said:
Sorry, dont have any close enough friends with a dish to do that. So basically if I'm SOL I need to know so I can go back to ebay with it.
Give Directv a call they might have a better suggestion but I would guess you want to put the receiver up for sale and look for an ATSC tuner only. :)

Yeah, I already called them. They said no. Thanks for the suggestions though.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DVR specific install problem?

HTL-HD or DTC210

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)