Another Possible Streaming Skinny Live TV Service, but for Cable

Bruce

Bender and Chloe, the real Members of the Year
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
A new, streaming-based skinny pay-TV package and enhancements aimed at helping small and midsized operators quickly jump into the mobile game are among the big topics on tap for next week's The Independent Show in Nashville.

There, the National Content & Technology Cooperative (NCTC), an organization that cuts content and tech deals for hundreds of small and midsized operators, will start to take the wraps off of "Broadband TV." That's the generic name of a new, Internet-delivered video package comprised of more than 30 entertainment channels that will be targeted to broadband-only customers.

More info here-

A new, streaming-based skinny pay-TV package and enhancements aimed at helping small and midsized operators quickly jump into the mobile game are among the big topics on tap for next week's The Independent Show in Nashville.

There, the National Content & Technology Cooperative (NCTC), an organization that cuts content and tech deals for hundreds of small and midsized operators, will start to take the wraps off of "Broadband TV." That's the generic name of a new, Internet-delivered video package comprised of more than 30 entertainment channels that will be targeted to broadband-only customers.

More info here-

So a Tablo like version of Sling TV. It sounds like they are doing just that. I do like that they are working on making the Tablo app work outside the home for the Next Gen Receivers. I would like to be able to use it when I am away form home and sitting in a doctor's office to watch Tv.

So a Tablo like version of Sling TV. It sounds like they are doing just that. I do like that they are working on making the Tablo app work outside the home for the Next Gen Receivers. I would like to be able to use it when I am away form home and sitting in a doctor's office to watch Tv.
As long as they can get their locals via the antenna, it could work..

But any service without the networks, has never been able to receive mass market penetration, for example, you brought up sling, even at it’s lower price of around $40, highest # of subscribers was 2.69M, now at 2M, Philo, at it’s price of under $30, at about 1 Million subs.

Yet YTTV, who has the networks, has 8 Million subs, at a more expensive price of $73.

As long as they can get their locals via the antenna, it could work..

But any service without the networks, has never been able to receive mass market penetration, for example, you brought up sling, even at it’s lower price of around $40, highest # of subscribers was 2.69M, now at 2M, Philo, at it’s price of under $30, at about 1 Million subs.

Yet YTTV, who has the networks, has 8 Million subs, at a more expensive price of $73.
The thing with Sling Tv is you get more cable like channels like Traditional Satellite/cable packs. Then add your own ota antenna and you get your own local for free. Its just a manner of what you add to your basic programming and it is a lot like the Flex pack choices. The best part you don't have to subsidize Sports channels if you don't want to. Which is what has pumped up the prices for cable & satellite in the past, till local channels decided they wanted to extort more and more money for their carriage, for something that is free to the public if you have an antenna.

Zipwave TV

"TV anywhere" app ads