An old 722K bug is still around

JEFFinINDY

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 31, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
I was eagerly awaiting the 30 Rock premiere this week, and about halfway through the recording, it just stopped as though it was over! Very annoying. It was recorded OTA, and there was another OTA recording going on at the same time.

It had been a few months since I've experienced this bug (probably last TV season). I thought it had been fixed, but it's still there.

I hope Dish realizes that these little annoyances add up (dropping HD channels from the lineup, bugs in the DVR causing lost programs, ugly user interfaces, small but noticeable price increases). None on their own may be all that significant, but when you add them up, the competition starts looking more attractive.

Just sayin'... :)

That happened on my wife's Grey's Anatomy recording, too. Suffice to say, she was not happy.

We haven't experienced any of those problems in several months, either.

Yes. The most frustrating thing about this bug is that all will work well for many recordings, and then that one time in a long time, it stop recording early. One never knows when it will strike and is VERY annoying. And it isn't as if RMA'ing the box will solve the problem either as the replacement is likely to have the same bug. Dish has gotta fix this one, please.

That is correct. I notice it more often on OTA, because that is my first choice for my timers, to keep my Satellite tuner free. I used to think it was OTA only, but I have had it happen on a satellite tuner since then.
It hadn't happened on my 722k in a while. An hour ago I was watching a recording of NCIS Los Angeles and it had not actually recorded the last 32 minutes. Timer said it was 1:03 long but not so. (Like yourself, my preference is to record the OTA version and this recording was OTA.

You know, I wonder if this could be a 622 issue as well, but I 'nip it in the bud' before it happens.

I will occasionally see my OTA timers show a two hour show set at 8:00, yet another OTA timer will be set to record a different show at 9:00. As I have all my OTA network timers set with a duplicate SAT local channel timer backup (with the OTA having the higher priority), I just simply SKIP the 9:00 show in the timers section (that morning) and it automatically then sets up the SAT local station timer for the 9:00 show.

But I wonder if I left the timers alone - would I have a similar result where my 8:00 two hour show would be listed in the recorded list as 2 hours but stop after 1 hour.

You know, I wonder if this could be a 622 issue as well, but I 'nip it in the bud' before it happens.

I will occasionally see my OTA timers show a two hour show set at 8:00, yet another OTA timer will be set to record a different show at 9:00. As I have all my OTA network timers set with a duplicate SAT local channel timer backup (with the OTA having the higher priority), I just simply SKIP the 9:00 show in the timers section (that morning) and it automatically then sets up the SAT local station timer for the 9:00 show.

But I wonder if I left the timers alone - would I have a similar result where my 8:00 two hour show would be listed in the recorded list as 2 hours but stop after 1 hour.

That is exactly what I did for the last season of Lost. The duplicate timers.

Anyone else still having this problem

My brother & I are still having this bug happen occasionally. Last week I recorded 5-0 and was watching it today and only had about 16 mins of an hour. Yes I have rebooted the system since the L669 update on a 722k.

Aww, that sucks.... I really hope this gets fixed soon.

Jeff,

I have been in contact with Dish and they had me save an example of this problem. A few days ago they phoned me and had me up-load the logs and diagnostics from my 722k with an example of the problem. I have offered to RMA my 722k anytime they feel it will help.

The problem happens maybe 2-3 times a month on my 722k and never on our 622.

SaltiDawg said:
Jeff,

I have been in contact with Dish and they had me save an example of this problem. A few days ago they phoned me and had me up-load the logs and diagnostics from my 722k with an example of the problem. I have offered to RMA my 722k anytime they feel it will help.

The problem happens maybe 2-3 times a month on my 722k and never on our 622.

Cool - hopefully that helps them get to the bottom of this glitch! I upgraded to a 922 a few weeks ago, and so far it hasn't happened on this receiver (and I record a lot), but it was really sporadic on the K as well.

Cool - hopefully that helps them get to the bottom of this glitch! I upgraded to a 922 a few weeks ago, and so far it hasn't happened on this receiver (and I record a lot), but it was really sporadic on the K as well.

I see it maybe 2-3 times a month on ky 722k.

We love Indy - my son and his family live there. He's a big Colts fan.

Over at the dbstalk.com 722K forum, 3 users who recorded the Steelers-Ravens game yesterday all reported that the recording "skipped to the end" at the same time (in the 3rd quarter). I believe they were all using the 722K OTA tuner. There is a bug in the 722K that needs fixing, but not sure Dish is interested.

bgee said:
Over at the dbstalk.com 722K forum, 3 users who recorded the Steelers-Ravens game yesterday all reported that the recording "skipped to the end" at the same time (in the 3rd quarter). I believe they were all using the 722K OTA tuner. There is a bug in the 722K that needs fixing, but not sure Dish is interested.

I swapped my 722k (and some cash) for a 922. Thankfully this bug doesn't seem to be present in the 922.

Oops - sorry, I just heard that Dish is actually aware of the bug and is working on it.

I wanted to dust this thread off and state that the problem continues to occur. The Dish Engineer and the CEO Rep will not reply to my E-mails and as far as I know, no one is working on fixing the issue! When the problem re-occurs, I phone Technical Support and report the specific event. Without exception, the CSR can find no documentation of the problem and try to get me to do a power cord reset or some basic trouble shooting.

Again, the problem is unique to the 722k. Occurs infrequently... maybe twice a month. Occurs on OTA recordings and also on Sat programs. When it happens, if my 622 was also recording the same event, that recording is normal... it is only a 722k issue.

When the problem occurs, the list of recordings displays the event as seemingly normal. An hour show might show the duration as 1 Hr 4 Minutes. However, on playback at some point in time (As little as one minute, as many as 50 minutes after start) the video just jumps to the end screen - the one where you may indicate done, protect, erase, Start Over, etc. If I skip back from the screen, the show will resume for a few seconds until it reaches the same point where it skipped ahead previously and again jump to that end screen.

I wish one of the DIRT Team members would roll with this.

Dish Network has plenty going on as it rebuilds on acquisitions

Way too many "Can we get [this or that] now that TiVo suit is over?"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)